Stovall in transfer portal

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
uhwarriors

Stovall in transfer portal

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1368255556712996864

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Stovall in transfer portal

Post by shrek2 »

Interesting late transfer decision. I thought he was the best punt returner in 2019 that UH had in a long while but that duty got switched in 2020. Hope he finds a home where he might be happy. Glad he got his degree!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

That's too bad. Maybe that's why we got Walthall.
ImageImage

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Hopefully this opens things up for the younger SBs - Bright, TMA and Kilo.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 am Interesting late transfer decision.
Possibly related to WR Coach Brennan Marion's recent departure to Pitt. https://twitter.com/MelquiseS/status/1344708385741045760

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:44 pm Hopefully this opens things up for the younger SBs - Bright, TMA and Kilo.
Quin Bright already left the team back in December following the New Mexico Bowl, while Kilohana Haasenritter will still need to learn Graham's offense (after opting out last season).
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtop ... =1&t=51436

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

One positive thing for Stovall is got his degree.
As far as playing one more year at D1????
I would think that most schools do not have scholies left and the portal is loaded with much more talented receivers with 2 or more years left.

I think if he doesn't get any D1 offers his best bet would be to train for the next level.

Going from Cal to Hawaii to Lower Level college would not help out his stock.

Look at all the other guys who left Hawaii for the Portal, only Bubba Wa'a got a scholie and that to Texas State.

Best of luck to Melquise

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Stovall never reached his potential. His route running was limited for an upper classman and was not the fearless runner he seemed to be at Cal.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Stovall will be missed because of his overall versatility to effectively play multiple positions (WR, SB, RB) within an offensive series....in addition to PR & KR. Even Calvin Turner Jr. didn't play WR last season.

Stovall's versatility allowed UH to disguise their offensive alignment (before pre-snap motions) so that defenses would have more difficulty keying on Calvin Turner Jr.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I'm in total agreement with you kapakahi. I thought Stovall was the quickest (not the fastest) on the team until #7 showed what he could do. I remember him making an unbelievable catch about 7 yards deep across the middle one handed running full speed (not easy to do for anybody) to get the first down and keep the drive alive last season. I'm hoping he gets a chance somewhere if not Pitt to possibly show his stuff for the next level. But I'm glad he's got that diploma.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

New coaching staff changed a lot of things, and I think Calvin Turner (game play) changed things even more. Double whammy. Some players (talent) just not going to fit in anymore.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Stovall now has the opportunity to re-unite with WR Coach Brennan Marion at Pitt....

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021/03 ... -blessing/
Stovall has one more opportunity to play college football and hopes to fulfill his immense potential. He recently entered the NCAA Transfer Portal and received the news from Marion that he has the opportunity to play for him again at Pitt.

“We’ve had communication since I recently hopped in the portal,” said Stovall. “We’ve contacted each other here and there and he ended up pulling the trigger with the offer yesterday. He believes that I can come in and make a good impact with the team. They’re young right now and don’t have a whole lot of seniority on the team so they’re looking for a couple of older leaders to come in and help out the team as much as possible.”

“I really didn’t know if an offer from Pitt was going to come or not. My thing with jumping into the portal was that I wanted to look for a team that was going to utilize my skill and talent as much as possible. I really had no idea it would come when I entered the portal but it’s a real blessing to receive it. Coach Marion and I have a really good relationship and believe that’s a big reason the offer came about. He knows that I can get the job done if he calls my number.”

Stovall is a 5-foot-9, 190 pound player that is capable of playing many different positions and speed is a big part of his game.

“I’d like to think that I excel in a few different areas,” said Stovall. “Strength, speed, quickness and just being knowledgeable about the game of football. I’m very experienced so whatever team I go to, I believe they’ll be getting a leader and an all-around playmaker. You can line me up in the slot, spread me out, running back, quarterback, it doesn’t matter because I think I’ll get the job done.”

Stovall told PSN that he’s hearing from a few other D-1 programs and could be receiving more offers as soon as this weekend. Regardless of what happens, he appreciates this opportunity from his former position coach and believes Pitt is lucky to have added Brennan Marion to their football program.

“More importantly, Pitt added a great person to their program. They added a loving person and coach that really, really cares about his players. The main thing is that Coach Marion loves his players outside of football. Normally, a lot of coaches don’t talk to their players outside of football but Coach does. He’ll always check in with you to see how you’re doing and to make sure you’re ok. I believe the sport of football doesn’t have enough coaches that care for their players outside of just playing football and he does a great job of doing that.”
https://twitter.com/MelquiseS/status/1370112164027985925 https://twitter.com/PghSportsNow/status/1370459566731898887
kapakahi wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:05 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:05 am Interesting late transfer decision.
Possibly related to WR Coach Brennan Marion's recent departure to Pitt. https://twitter.com/MelquiseS/status/1344708385741045760

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/MelquiseS/status/1375516955856150529

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

How convenient. Looks and feels like poaching to me. To each is own, I guess.