It's official! Barnett is out!

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

It's official! Barnett is out!

Post by Sportsbow »

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2252252

Updated: Dec. 8, 2005, 7:44 PM ET
Barnett steps down as Colorado coachESPN.com news services

Gary Barnett has stepped down as head coach of the Colorado football team.

"Colorado decided they wanted to change coaches," Barnett's attorney John Rodman told ESPN's Joe Schad on Thursday. "[Barnett] has agreed to step down as coach. We're pleased about the terms of the settlement, but we're disappointed we had to part ways."

Rodman confirmed that Barnett will receive a $3 million settlement from the university. Barnett was scheduled to be paid $1,187,750 next season and would have been owed $1.6 million of a $2 million longevity bonus.

The school has called a news conference for 8:30 p.m. ET and Barnett is expected to attend.

"It's over," a friend of Barnett's told Schad Thursday. "He has not survived. And it wasn't the off-field allegations that got him. It was 70-3 [score against Texas]. It was what happened in the last three games. He all but had his new contract."

The Colorado Board of Regents met Thursday, but Barnett's future wasn't discussed at the meeting, ESPN's George Smith reported.

The university regents declined to comment about Barnett after the 3½-hour executive session Thursday.

"I think that's still in the hands of the chancellor and the athletic director," Colorado president Hank Brown said.

Barnett and the school had been discussing a contract extension for several weeks, and it was believed to be a foregone conclusion before the season turned south.

CU finished on a three-game losing streak, including losses to Nebraska and Texas by the combined score of 100-6.

"The coaches have worked hard and the players have been great. The kids just ran out of juice. My whole extension has been a big issue. I think they felt some pressure surrounding that," Barnett told ESPN.com.

Despite a torrent of negative publicity, a suspension from the school and widespread speculation that he would be fired 18 months ago after a controversy erupted surrounding Colorado's recruiting practices, Barnett has taken Colorado to consecutive Big 12 North Division titles.

The president, chancellor and athletic director all stepped down in the aftermath of the scandal, which resulted in an investigation that concluded drugs, alcohol and sex were used to entice recruits to the Boulder campus, though none of practices were sanctioned by university officials.

After Saturday's 70-3 loss to Texas in the Big 12 title game, Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera, "We all have to look at everything and see what it's going to take to get things going in the right direction. That's what's on everyone's mind right now."

Barnett's take on the loss to Texas: "A lot of people have lost pretty bad to Texas this year."

The news conference was called hours after university officials confirmed they had received an unsigned letter accusing Barnett of improper conduct.

The Rocky Mountain News, which first reported the letter, said the letter accuses Barnett of attempting to influence sworn testimony by his subordinates during the football program's recent recruiting scandal. The letter also claims football players were tipped off in advance of supposedly random drug tests, the newspaper said.

The Buffs (7-5) enter the Champs Sports Bowl, Dec. 27 against Clemson, having lost three straight games by a combined score of 130-22. There was no immediate word on whether Barnett, 49-38 over seven seasons, would coach the team in that game.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Gee, big surprise there! :roll: On the Wyoming board, there's like 6 threads on this stupid news about Barnett!

In other related news, two nene at the Honolulu Zoo finally realized they are not Canadian geese!!!! (major TW-type sacrasm!!!)!!

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

I've heard that Colorado has a party school reputation.

I'm curious just who the candidates are. You figure somebody would go after Steve Mariucci.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

rodfather wrote:I've heard that Colorado has a party school reputation.

I'm curious just who the candidates are. You figure somebody would go after Steve Mariucci.
As long as they don't go after Joe Glenn, I don't care who they grab!

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

wyokie wrote:

That's exactly who they're going after,Wyokie!HAHA! :lol:

Glenn, Butch Davis, Dan Hawkins, and I forget the other name.

San Diego St.'s going after Dennis Erickson. Think that would be a good fit. SD St. always wanted to be "The U of the West?" They can get a guy who was quite successful at THE U.....

Barnett said recent recruiting restrictions was the reason why CU wasn't getting the type of players they were getting before the restricitions.

Guess not being able to have sex parties and strippers can really mess w/a recruit's HEAD!!!HAHA! :lol:
"Everyday I'm Hustlin'... Everyday I'm Hustlin'.... Everyday I'm Hustlin'... Whip It! Whip It, Real Hard!!"

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Ldub20 wrote:
wyokie wrote:

THEN Wyoming can go after former BYU Coach, Gary Crowton :-
THEN Wyoming will never play in Aloha Stadium :- :-

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:
Ldub20 wrote:
wyokie wrote: As long as they don't go after Joe Glenn, I don't care who they grab!

THEN Wyoming can go after former BYU Coach, Gary Crowton :-
THEN Wyoming will never play in Aloha Stadium :- :-
OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!! :evil:

No One, I MEAN ONE ONE, associated with BYU-Provo should EVER be employed within the state boundaries of WYOMING!!!!!