*** Official Nick Rolovich Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Nick Rolovich will be next head coach at Wazzu

Post by shrek2 »

Based on Cole's statement to the public especially regarding the coaches, I suspect that Cole was privy to information that Rolo was already in preliminary negotiations.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Rolo's press conference at WSU shows that he did his homework and had good presentation. First good step on a new job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTPHIksj28

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 am Based on Cole's statement to the public especially regarding the coaches, I suspect that Cole was privy to information that Rolo was already in preliminary negotiations.
Highly doubtful since Cole declared for the NFL Draft on January 8th, while Leach wasn't hired by Mississippi State until January 9th.
Last edited by kapakahi on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:01 pm
shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 am Based on Cole's statement to the public especially regarding the coaches, I suspect that Cole was privy to information that Rolo was already in preliminary negotiations.
Doubtful since Cole declared for the NFL Draft on January 8th, while Leach wasn't hired by Mississippi State until January 9th.
Maybe this is putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but... people knew Leach was in negotiations and interviewing and others were aware of his potential departure. WSU was probably also preparing for his potential eventual departure. I suspect Rolo didn't just make a spur of the moment on January 13th decision but it was pending.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pmMaybe this is putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but... people knew Leach was in negotiations and interviewing and others were aware of his potential departure. WSU was probably also preparing for his potential eventual departure. I suspect Rolo didn't just make a spur of the moment on January 13th decision but it was pending.
At this stage, it doesn't really matter about what a former player might have known or didn't know about a former coach. What's done is done.....however it happened.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

What I got from the press conference is that they were sort of deadpan. Maybe it was a little bit of a Hawaii HC doesn't belong in Pullman. I thought that Rolo was sharp and on his toes but the press just wanted to try to catch him with his lack of knowledge. I don't think I'll follow his career any more than Scott Frost of Nebraska but its interesting because I think the public may have been wanting someone from the Pullman area or someone with more of a reputation than Rolo in winning big games.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm What I got from the press conference is that they were sort of deadpan. Maybe it was a little bit of a Hawaii HC doesn't belong in Pullman. I thought that Rolo was sharp and on his toes but the press just wanted to try to catch him with his lack of knowledge. I don't think I'll follow his career any more than Scott Frost of Nebraska but its interesting because I think the public may have been wanting someone from the Pullman area or someone with more of a reputation than Rolo in winning big games.
It seems to be the overwhelming consensus on the CFB Reddit that WSU fans approve of the hire.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

At $3Mil/year, and following 4 straight bowl games, WAZZU fans will not be satisfied with a .500 record and will not be too forgiving of bad 4th down plays that cost victories.

All is not love and unicorns at Pullman. Even Leach face the Hotseat
Twitter goes off on Mike Leach after Washington State loses to Portland State

by Jack Crosby227w ago

Washington State lost to Portland State of the FCS on Saturday and Mike Leach is not the most popular man right now. Mike Leach and Washington State opened up their 2015 college football season on Saturday with a game against Portland State of the FCS. With Leach never having lost to a team from the FCS, this seemed as if it would be a pretty easy win for the veteran, eccentric coach.

Yeah, well, that didn’t happen. When the clock hit zero in regulations, Portland State came away the winners in this one by a final score of 24-17. So, that little stat about Leach heading into this one is pretty irrelevant now.

Having not turned this Cougars program around yet the way many thought he would, Leach was already sitting on a hot seat. Well, after this embarrassing loss to Portland State, the internet acted accordingly.

REMINDER: We can’t afford to fire Mike Leach. So…yanno….wee?
— Michael Preston (@RM_Preston) September 5, 2015

I thought the Mike Leach hire was a home run. Yikes
— Greg Gaston (@Greg_Gaston) September 5, 2015

Washington State lost to Portland State? Looks like Mike Leach is going back to @SiriusXMCollege real soon
— Brandon Boyd (@brandoninstl) September 5, 2015

Fire Mike Leach it’s embarrassing to the #pac12
— Chris Abernathy (@bobjoefive) September 5, 2015

Gotta think the Mike Leach Watch began after historic 24-17 loss to Portland State in home opener.
— Percy Allen (@percyallen) September 5, 2015

Hard to imagine how Mike Leach won’t get fired now.
— the human cespedes (@ACoupleThoughts)
September 5, 2015
Mike Leach was on the hot seat going into this year, not exactly the way you want to start the season. Gotta make some magic happen.
— Bill (@StonewallBill) September 5, 2015

This is the first time I have ever questioned whether Mike Leach should be the head coach. That was about the worst thing to happen
— d_enq (@Coug_Enq) September 5, 2015

In mike leach we trust right?
— You’reKillinMeSmalls (@j17smalley) September 5, 2015

I can guarantee you, WSU coach Mike Leach will be fired before the season is over.
— Cheng Lor (@ChengLor1) September 5, 2015
https://fansided.com/2015/09/05/washing ... ike-leach/

Diamonded1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Diamonded1 »

Good Luck Coach Rolo! Can’t blame you for leaving UH to more greener pastures at WSU! Thanks for all the blood , sweat and tears you give to the UH and state of Hawaii .

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

I agree. Leach knew he was going to MSU before it was announced. Rolo knew he was the number guy for Wazzu, his buddy Mike Leach hooked him up. They all knew way before it was announced to the public. This is why I said on another post, our hire shouldn't take more than 7 days, Matlin knew Rolo was being looked at and got word before it was announced to the public, he (Matlin) had the ball rolling for a new coach behind the scene. Matlin's proactive, unlike the loser, Herman Frazier, IMO.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

Wasn’t Rolo partying with Cougar Fans in Seattle this weekend? Stay safe Coach Rolo and the rest of the Hawai’i coaching staff that rolled with you to Washington St.

See link below.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... e-illness/

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/CoachStutzmann/status/1220487660474523648

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm https://twitter.com/CoachStutzmann/status/1220487660474523648
Nice of him to say that. Hope one day he comes back as our HC, after we win a few MWC championships with Graham.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Despite WAZZU getting Wilkerson from our pool of recruits, Rolo finished in 11th place in the PAC12 signing ranking and #64 overall. Not much better than last year when Leach finished last in the PAC12 recruiting wars..Oh well :(

Go Bows!!! :hello1:
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2 ... 143412726/

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 pm Despite WAZZU getting Wilkerson from our pool of recruits, Rolo finished in 11th place in the PAC12 signing ranking and #64 overall. Not much better than last year when Leach finished last in the PAC12 recruiting wars..Oh well :(

Go Bows!!! :hello1:
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2 ... 143412726/
$3M a year for 5 years is hard to pass up, but accepting the position will require dealing with the pressure of succeeding in the PAC 12 conference with resources that Washington State will provide, compared to resources available at other PAC 12 teams in the conference. It will not be an enviable position to be in. Best wishes to Rolo, but my loyalty remains with our Warrior football team.

I look forward to Matlin scheduling a home and home with the Cougars in the near future, hopefully with Rolo still as HC at Washington State.

Go Warriors!