*** Official Nick Rolovich Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Nick Rolovich will be next head coach at Wazzu

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 am I wonder if this was part of The reason Cole applied for the NFL instead of coming back, may be during discussion Rolo told him he was interested in interviewing for other teams maybe not necessarily WSU at the time just to see what was out there.
Yup. New coach, new system. CMD already shared time. He was not going to risk getting bench because the new coach got new plans.

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

The sky is not falling folks....not yet anyways. It all depends on UH President & Matlin. The UH has to hire someone who keeps what Rolo rebuilt going in same direction. I'm sure Rolo recommended a replacement for himself, hopefully it's coach Smith (or Miano). We need someone familiar with the current players, culture, travel, recruiting base etc...we need stability and continuity. If Matlin goes sideways and hires someone outside the Run and Shoot system, prepare for 4-5 years of painful losing.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I know it's too early, any word on if Rolo is taking any of his assistant coaches along? For Rolo do do this magic, he needs to almost bring all the offensive coaches.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 am I know it's too early, any word on if Rolo is taking any of his assistant coaches along? For Rolo do do this magic, he needs to almost bring all the offensive coaches.
Rolo also coached at Nevada and has many friends. I am sure there are many options when you inherit a PAC 12 team.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

As good as Rolo had this program representing last season, the stands were still embarrassingly empty.

And that will always be the curse of the program in terms of being able to retain coaches and the ability to pay them accordingly.

Empty stands are a curse, having the end zones semi-full while the sidelines are bare even more embarrassing.

The MWC is not the SEC - where Saturday football rules.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

How ironic that STL '20 QB Jayden DeLaura ends up being the beneficiary of all this.... https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1216950283072225281 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1216984935048724480

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/washington-state

Talk about another good bounce for Rolo.

Next season's WSU schedule:

5/8 conference games at home.

2/3 out of conference games at home.

Less travel time to away games-the furthest next season being 590 miles to Utah St, 900 miles to Standford, 1140 miles to Boulder, Colo.

Plus according to this 2017 article, the football team charters flights to away game.

Rolo has to thank his lucky stars. A week ago he's on a treadmill now he's in the fast lane.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Nick Rolovich and Hawaii was a fit that didn't last too long. He didn't build the program to what it was before. It doesn't mean anything to say that just because he's going to make a lot more doesn't mean he's going to be successful. I believe all four kids and wife will have to adjust to a new life. Just because he has a good Hawaii QB doesn't also mean that WSU will be successful in the Pac-12. This is what Wazzu is hoping for but whether they get it depends on whether they can contend if not at least have a winning season. It all starts with the OL/DL. He will probably come in with the line that the kids play for each other, blah, blah, blah but it requires buy-in. Whether they can contend with Oregon, USC and Stanford remains to be seen. Big stakes but tough road ahead. I personally think HC and some assistant coaches make way too much money like Dave Aranda. You gotta believe that a segment of the population that are the have-nots carry a lot of disdain for losing coaches that make a lot of money. I kind of wondered what it would be like for a guy like Dave Aranda to walk around in public and not be attacked on Bourbon street in New Orleans if LSU lost last night. The only thing that Rolo gets away from is Jamm Aquino. :lol:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 amI know it's too early, any word on if Rolo is taking any of his assistant coaches along? For Rolo do do this magic, he needs to almost bring all the offensive coaches.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 465582002/
Mike Leach is taking his Wazzu Offensive Coaches (WR, RB, OL; except for TE) along with the Special Teams & Strength Coaches with him to Mississippi State.....which could mean that Rolo might offer assistant coaching positions to Andre Allen, Brian Smith, Mark Weber, Michael Ghobrial, and Dwain Bradshaw.....at minimum....to follow him to Wazzu. SInce Leach is his own OC and QB Coach, Rolo could also offer Stutz as his QB Coach (since a TE Assistant Coach is not needed).

The Wazzu website lists the assistant coaches that Leach didn't take with him to Mississippi State.
https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/ ... er-coaches

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I thought Rolo's thing to get players to want to represent the State was a great thing. Too bad it doesn't work for coaches. They just made an offer he couldn't refuse. I hope he does great over there. He's been great for UH.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

dakineguy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:50 pm I thought Rolo's thing to get players to want to represent the State was a great thing. Too bad it doesn't work for coaches. They just made an offer he couldn't refuse. I hope he does great over there. He's been great for UH.
I think it is ok to be a fan of a coach just like it is ok to be fan of particular players. I will watch Washington State football next year. Particularly if some Hawaii players go there. Why not? I don’t I have a PAC-12 team I root for.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the name Dick Tomey. Can't say I remember the Tomey years, but for those who do, this has gotta feel like Tomey taking the U of A job.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:26 pm I can't believe nobody's mentioned the name Dick Tomey. Can't say I remember the Tomey years, but for those who do, this has gotta feel like Tomey taking the U of A job.
I remember the Tomey years. Times have changed. Fans could watch the game live or wait to see it at 10pm on K5. Make no mistake, pay-per-view changed the way fans view games. Also, Tomey mentored life-time starters in the NFL.

I regret much more the time when Chow dismissed both Nick Rolovich and Dave Aranda. He gave both Nevada and Utah State formidable weapons to destroy us. At that time, nobody cared about either of them but our competition. Instead, we got a coach from a Japanese high-school and a Jay Cee. Both of them were beyond their coaching relevance and did nothing for Hawaii football.

I despair most for the loss for what Coach McMackin designed for the team. Dave Aranda is a proven coach. While Nick Rolovich is still up-and-coming, he has been offered the big cheese by a Pac 12 team. I wish him well. I would thank him for being a great quarterback for one year and for being a great coach for one year. I would also thank him for building a decent coaching staff and team.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

I think it is ok to be a fan of a coach just like it is ok to be fan of particular players. I will watch Washington State football next year. Particularly if some Hawaii players go there. Why not? I don’t I have a PAC-12 team I root for.
I may do the same too. I've been an Arizona fan for a long time - because of Dick Tomey. And even when Tomey wasn't there, always find "reasons" to continue to be a fan, such as Anu Solomon - who is sort of from Hawaii.