Hawaii Small College Hoops Memory Lane: John Strickland

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hawaii Small College Hoops Memory Lane: John Strickland

Post by poidog »

Anyone remember John Strickland? He played basketball for HPU in 1993-1994 and was named to the all-tournament team of the NAIA national championships in 94. He was my favorite player to watch in the NCAA summer league back then. I lost track of him and didn't realize how big of a star on the street ball scene he was after his time here:

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/bas ... trickland/

Link

I remember him getting fouled and nearly breaking the backboard on a dunk at Kilauea gym during summer league and then running all the way to the top of the bleachers to hi five everyone in the stands and then running back down to shoot his free throw. RIP, big guy...

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Re: Hawaii Small College Hoops Memory Lane: John Strickland

Post by Parkpill »

Man, he was a good one. Back in the day, a lot of the Hawaii college guys used to ball at the Central YMCA. One day a friend and I ran with Strickland, Trevor Ruffin, and Kurt Taylor. We played 3 games before we lost. I took 6 shots in those 3 games, and hit all 6. If you miss, they won't pass you the ball. LOL

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Parkpill wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 pm Man, he was a good one. Back in the day, a lot of the Hawaii college guys used to ball at the Central YMCA. One day a friend and I ran with Strickland, Trevor Ruffin, and Kurt Taylor. We played 3 games before we lost. I took 6 shots in those 3 games, and hit all 6. If you miss, they won't pass you the ball. LOL
KT was a regular all over the street ball scene here!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Parkpill wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 pm Man, he was a good one. Back in the day, a lot of the Hawaii college guys used to ball at the Central YMCA. One day a friend and I ran with Strickland, Trevor Ruffin, and Kurt Taylor. We played 3 games before we lost. I took 6 shots in those 3 games, and hit all 6. If you miss, they won't pass you the ball. LOL
you ever run with Woodrow "Woody" Moore or Ahmad Ricketts from the UH hoops team back then? one of my HS teammates used to run with them all the time at UH and at the Y...

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

I worked at the Y during my college days, so if they showed up, then I'm sure I ran with them at one point. Not a many UH guys ran regularly, it was mostly Chaminade and HPU players. The UH players I remember coming through were Trevor Ruffin, Kurt Taylor, and Phil Handy. Even the Noga brothers would come through and rough people up. haha

Parkpill
Starter
Starter

Post by Parkpill »

Also, another guy that was IMO really good, was Ken Crawford (I think that was his name). He didn't get the pub that Strickland got because he played at the same time as him at HPU. The guy had excellent post moves, left and right hand, and used his body well for positioning.