Memphis Tigers basketball thread

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Memphis Tigers basketball thread

Post by Irse »

Since there are Wyoming football and Arkansas football threads, I'm starting a Memphis Tigers thread. Been a fan since 1972 when we moved to Memphis and I was in the 8th grade. Ended up going to Memphis State for a couple of years.

Looking forward to this year. They've sucked recently but have the number 1 recruiting class coming in. Should be an exciting year.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Memphis Tigers basketball thread

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:10 pm Since there are Wyoming football and Arkansas football threads, I'm starting a Memphis Tigers thread. Been a fan since 1972 when we moved to Memphis and I was in the 8th grade. Ended up going to Memphis State for a couple of years.

Looking forward to this year. They've sucked recently but have the number 1 recruiting class coming in. Should be an exciting year.
LOL I was wondering when someone would start a Memphis basketball thread. Loved the brawl against BYU after the 2014 Miami Beach Bowl ended. That was beautiful. :D

BTW, I'll have to do the research but I do believe Wyoming has played Memphis at one time or another in basketball. :D

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Found the info, Wyoming is 1-2 vs. Memphis in basketball. First game was in 1982-83 and the last in 1990-91.

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm Found the info, Wyoming is 1-2 vs. Memphis in basketball. First game was in 1982-83 and the last in 1990-91.
I think I remember the first one. I want to say Memphis lost.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm
wyokie wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:57 pm Found the info, Wyoming is 1-2 vs. Memphis in basketball. First game was in 1982-83 and the last in 1990-91.
Nope # 6 Memphis won in a blowout in a tournament hosted by Memphis State. We won the last game of the series. Home team won every game.

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm
Irse wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm
Nope # 6 Memphis won in a blowout in a tournament hosted by Memphis State. We won the last game of the series. Home team won every game.
OK. I do remember them going to Wyoming and getting beat. I think Wyoming had a pretty good big man that kept burning them.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

1st game of the season. I guess it may be the definition of a young team. 11 guys played, 8 freshmen and 3 sophs. Beat SC State 97-64. Hopefully they can develop throughout the year and be a force during tournament time.
ImageImage

Irse

Re: Memphis Tigers basketball thread (Wiseman ineligible)

Post by Irse »

Season just went down the toilet. James Wiseman ruled ineligible. Apparently, Hardaway help pay for the families move to Memphis while he was in high school and Hardaway is a booster.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Now he has to sit a total of 12 games. We'll see how good this group of freshmen really is.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Memphis has been doing better than I thought they would with Wiseman out. They just beat Ole Miss and NC State. Big leads but let them come back. Need to have more of a killer instinct. Hope the freshman can learn that soon enough before it comes back to bite them.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Tigers ends Tennessee's 31 home win streak. Been playing better than I thought without Wiseman and Quinones. They have beaten 2 SEC and 1 ACC teams. Couple more hard ones in Wichita State and Georgia coming up before Wiseman comes back.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Now Wiseman is going pro and will skip the season. The season just went down the toilet.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Tulsa romped Memphis 80-40. Geez, up until that point they had a decent record.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:14 am Tulsa romped Memphis 80-40. Geez, up until that point they had a decent record.
That is what you call a beat down. Guard play has been pretty bad. Very inconsistent, probably due to too many sophs and frs. One of their prize recruits, Boogie Ellis, who was a Duke signee, has been a disappointment. Need to step if up if they're going to make it to the second weekend in the dance.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Now I can update this thread since Memphis has gotten a commitment from Emoni Bates who was the number 1 player for 2022 but reclassified to 2021. They also signed Jalen Duren who was the number 2 for 2022 but reclassified to 2021. Add Earl Timberlake a 5 star transfer from Univ. of Miami and a decent recruiting class, if Penny can't get them far into the dance, he has issues coaching.
ImageImage