Memphis Tigers basketball thread

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Memphis Tigers basketball thread

Post by gopunahou »

Do Memphis fans miss Cal and think he’s a traitor? He did something at Kentucky that he couldn’t do at Memphis, but his popularity has at UK has plummeted like an anvil. He’s way less popular than their FB coach and maybe WVB coach.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:09 pm Do Memphis fans miss Cal and think he’s a traitor? He did something at Kentucky that he couldn’t do at Memphis, but his popularity has at UK has plummeted like an anvil. He’s way less popular than their FB coach and maybe WVB coach.
I think it's about 50/50. It's more about how he left. He tried to take some players from Memphis with him, plus all the recruits. He hasn't said anything nice about his time there although nobody else wanted him after his failure in the NBA. I think almost everyone appreciated what he did at Memphis but if he appreciated what Memphis did for him and allowed him to resurrect his career, he would have better acceptance.

He's not as popular as a coach because he's not a great bench coach. Look at all the talent he's had at Kentucky and he's won only one NC. Now that he doesn't have World Wide Wes helping him recruit, he recruiting OK but not outstanding like he used to. If you don't know who World Wide Wes, google William Wesley and Kentucky.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Irse wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 am
gopunahou wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:09 pm Do Memphis fans miss Cal and think he’s a traitor? He did something at Kentucky that he couldn’t do at Memphis, but his popularity has at UK has plummeted like an anvil. He’s way less popular than their FB coach and maybe WVB coach.
I think it's about 50/50. It's more about how he left. He tried to take some players from Memphis with him, plus all the recruits. He hasn't said anything nice about his time there although nobody else wanted him after his failure in the NBA. I think almost everyone appreciated what he did at Memphis but if he appreciated what Memphis did for him and allowed him to resurrect his career, he would have better acceptance.

He's not as popular as a coach because he's not a great bench coach. Look at all the talent he's had at Kentucky and he's won only one NC. Now that he doesn't have World Wide Wes helping him recruit, he recruiting OK but not outstanding like he used to. If you don't know who World Wide Wes, google William Wesley and Kentucky.
I’m very familiar with World Wide Wes.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Irse

Post by Irse »

I might have spoken too soon. Looks like Cal may have a killer class next year. We'll see if Penny can steal any of them.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Looks like there is trouble in Memphis. Lot of fans unhappy about the three game losing streak they currently have. Upset with the head coach (sound familiar). Unrest in the locker room. Upper classmen not helping the freshmen. Penny can get talent but doesn't know how to assemble a team and utilize everybody. No true PG on the team that would be high D1 material. Probably leads the NCAA in turnovers because they can't get into an effective offensive flow. Plus he prioritized a couple of highly regarded freshmen over his returning players. These freshmen were reclassified up a grade and still should be hs seniors. They weren't ready for college basketball. But Penny had them starting and allowed mistakes from them but pulled his returning players when they made a mistake. I think that caused some resentment and his returnees are taking it out on the freshmen. Hope they can get it all straightened out or Penny might be out of a job.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Another game, another loss. This time to Murray State. How can a team with so many 4 and 5 stars lose as they have been? Penny just doesn't know how to coach. His substitution pattern is undecipherable. Can't figure it out. He has a combination on the court that gets a big lead then he subs. The 5 that got the lead is never on the court at the same time again. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't know how to assemble a team (can't just get the 13 best players available) and he doesn't know how to set combinations on the floor that can play together. Next up is Bama and the Vols. Two more losses. That'll be 6 in a row.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hmmm sounds like the Lakers :(

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:04 pm Hmmm sounds like the Lakers :(
I hope LeBron retires soon. I'll enjoy the NBA after he leaves. :roll:

Side note: the Lakers was owned by Jerry Buss, a graduate of the University of WYOMING. His family still owns the team after his death.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Finally they played up to their potential beating Alabama 92-78
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Another couple of losses, to UCF and East Carolina. Penny is really not a very good coach. He can recruit but cannot put together a functioning team. I guess that goes along wioth the other couple of teams I root for, the Warriors and Cowboys. At least we got rid of Graham. Now got to get rid of McCarthy and Penny.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

@Houston 10:30am HT, 1230pm PST ABC.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:47 am @Houston 10:30am HT, 1230pm PST ABC.
This was a great game. Houston lost for the first time at home in 37 games. To me, it's a big dropoff when Tyler Harris at 5'9 is in the game. Offensive threat but his defense is not there because of his size. This game when they trapped him, he threw the ball away a few times.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:20 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:47 am @Houston 10:30am HT, 1230pm PST ABC.
This was a great game. Houston lost for the first time at home in 37 games. To me, it's a big dropoff when Tyler Harris at 5'9 is in the game. Offensive threat but his defense is not there because of his size. This game when they trapped him, he threw the ball away a few times.
Yeah, he's one dimensional. Hope they limit his minutes more.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Justing watching the Houston game, I would have called a technical on Williams in the first half when he started jawing with the referee after his offensive foul. He's gotta realize that its not the NBA and Hardaway should have talked to him but his mentality is NBA not college. Williams finally got the T in the second half.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:35 pm Justing watching the Houston game, I would have called a technical on Williams in the first half when he started jawing with the referee after his offensive foul. He's gotta realize that its not the NBA and Hardaway should have talked to him but his mentality is NBA not college. Williams finally got the T in the second half.
That's 3 games in a row he's gotten a technical. You would think a 25 year old would eventually learn how to shut up.
ImageImage