*** OFFICIAL Tua Tagovailoa Thread ****

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

*** OFFICIAL Tua Tagovailoa Thread ****

Post by J-Rod »

I figured Tua needs his own thread. Anyone who follows recruiting knows the 2017 QB is likely to be the highest-ranked QB recruit in Hawaii high school football history. 4-Stars, ranked in the top five at his position. Offers from everyone...USC, Oregon etc. I terms of Hawaii's realistic chances at landing Tua, I've heard/read conflicting accounts. Some refer to the Campus Rush article where a relative says that if UH recruited him hard, it would be hard to turn them down. Others think UH fans are crazy and this dude is a lock to Oregon the moment they offer.

What do you guys think? On top of the sentimental factor of remaining home, I think UH is the only program that can realistically offer this dude instant playing time (Ikaika starts in 2016, Tua starts as a true freshman in 2017). He's really good and would undoubtedly put butts in the seats. We've been through some really bad seasons. I don't know about you, but I'm okay with growing pains with a young, burgeoning star QB.

...but that could be nothing more than fantasizing and realistically he ends up at Oregon. I wouldn't blame him if he did.

I feel like this is an important recruiting situation. Marcus Mariota for all his greatness, is somewhat of a detriment to UH football's recruiting ability. Kids don't want to come to UH, they want to be Marcus on the mainland. I could be way off base, but Tua's recruitment will set the tone for future recruiting. It will either open up UH's chances for the upper echelon local recruits, or darn near slam the door shut.

Anyone hear anything? We get chance? Or should we temper expectations a year in advance?

We picked a bad time to suck at football on and off the field. Interesting times ahead, I'm curious to see if Tua can be the guy to pull UH out of this rut.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: Tua Tagovailoa

Post by bigislandkurt »

This guy is already primed for the big time. The best UH could hope for in his situation is a possible bounce back in a few years. I'm certain some of the big boys in the SEC might come calling too. Anything can happen.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

J-Rod wrote:I figured Tua needs his own thread. Anyone who follows recruiting knows the 2017 QB is likely to be the highest-ranked QB recruit in Hawaii high school football history. 4-Stars, ranked in the top five at his position. Offers from everyone...USC, Oregon etc. I terms of Hawaii's realistic chances at landing Tua, I've heard/read conflicting accounts. Some refer to the Campus Rush article where a relative says that if UH recruited him hard, it would be hard to turn them down. Others think UH fans are crazy and this dude is a lock to Oregon the moment they offer.

What do you guys think? On top of the sentimental factor of remaining home, I think UH is the only program that can realistically offer this dude instant playing time (Ikaika starts in 2016, Tua starts as a true freshman in 2017). He's really good and would undoubtedly put butts in the seats. We've been through some really bad seasons. I don't know about you, but I'm okay with growing pains with a young, burgeoning star QB.

...but that could be nothing more than fantasizing and realistically he ends up at Oregon. I wouldn't blame him if he did.

I feel like this is an important recruiting situation. Marcus Mariota for all his greatness, is somewhat of a detriment to UH football's recruiting ability. Kids don't want to come to UH, they want to be Marcus on the mainland. I could be way off base, but Tua's recruitment will set the tone for future recruiting. It will either open up UH's chances for the upper echelon local recruits, or darn near slam the door shut.

Anyone hear anything? We get chance? Or should we temper expectations a year in advance?

We picked a bad time to suck at football on and off the field. Interesting times ahead, I'm curious to see if Tua can be the guy to pull UH out of this rut.
His recruitment has gone silent since an Oregon St. offer in June. Oregon picked up 2 HSQBs for the 2016 season and a commitment from Ryan Kelley a 4* QB in 2017. I know Ducks HC Helfrich visited STL when they in-home visited Vavae Malepeai a month or so ago. I know their OC Frost wasn't convinced enough to offer him but he's at UCF now, so who knows going forward. I think after the 2016 cycle is over, his recruitment will pick back up. It will be hard for us to keep him home, but the opportunity to play in front of his family and be the "big time, homegrown QB recruit who revives Hawaii Football" would be hard to pass up for sure. There will a lot of pressure from other programs especially since most of the other highly rated QBs in the 2017 class have already committed.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

you already know rolo is going to go hard after him.we will find out where his heart is.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I would follow JJ. He has an eye for talent.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hawaii cracks the top 8... Oregon is out...Get Chance
https://twitter.com/Tuaamann_/status/709813645161553920

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: *** OFFICIAL Tua Tagovailoa Thread *****

Post by reignjah11 »

I think he'll end up at SC!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Gut feeling to me for top 4 will be in no particular order is Hawaii, Alabama, USC and Arizona

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Rolo should have Makani Kema-Kaleiwahea, Fred Ulu-Perry and Larry Tuileta, (when he gets accepted into the UH Manoa system) host Tua when he schedules his official visit to UH.

Makani transferred home from Arizona, Fred transferred home from UCLA and Larry transferred from USC. They should all be able to attest to the "there's no place like home" belief. They should watch the Wizard of Oz together and listen to Dorothy Gale, saying, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Make HAWAII proud, Tua. The whole State of Hawaii. Defend Hawaii, not somewhere over the Rainbows.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I'm not sure if Oregon has offered Tua yet.

Absolutely refreshing to see UH listed. In recent weeks when talking to Bama, UCLA, USC publications for Rivals...he wasn't mentioning UH at all. It was beginning to look like he had already moved on from UH, so it's good to see this list. It won't be easy, but as BW said...get chance.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

interesting read from last year. Seems like Scott Frost was his contact
Tua Tagovailoa, Marcus Mariota pupil and 4-star QB, losing touch with Oregon Ducks coaching staff
on April 13, 2015 at 6:00 AM, updated April 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Class of 2017 four-star quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has offers from Arizona Colorado, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, Utah and others, but given his early development under the watchful eye of Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota, Tagovailoa has dreamed of playing in an Oregon Ducks uniforms.

So when he picks up the phone and tries to call the Oregon coaching staff and his calls go unanswered and messages go unreturned, he admits it's harder to dream about a future in Eugene.

"It's kind of hard when I'm not keeping in contact or I have no contact. It's hard to say that now, because of that," he said. "I don't know if they are showing interest at any point in time. I know it's kind of early, especially since they have a recruiting process, but... it's all right."

Tagovailoa understands that Oregon has a process that takes longer than many other programs, but the lack of communication has tempered his enthusiasm about the Ducks.

"Sometimes I forget that Oregon has interest in me. Coach Cal (Lee) tells me to call coaches. When I do some coaches don't answer," he said. "I have no clue who I'm calling. Coach Cal gives me their number... but the last time I was in contact with an Oregon guy was (offensive coordinator) Scott Frost when he came down."

Despite the lack of communication, Tagovailoa insists he is far from counting out the Ducks. In fact, he is still hopeful that his relationship with Oregon materializes soon.

"I wouldn't really say I'm frustrated. I'm trying to be patient with it," he said.
http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/in ... ota_1.html

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

One thing is for sure...Oregon isn't too good for Tua. Their QB position is in shambles. Back-to-back years they need to resort to FCS graduate assistants for help.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

J-Rod wrote:One thing is for sure...Oregon isn't too good for Tua. Their QB position is in shambles. Back-to-back years they need to resort to FCS graduate assistants for help.
I wouldn't say "shambles". They have a lot of talent and depth. What they don't have is a lot of experience. I would say it's more of an "uncertainty" in Oregon. Hawaii on the other hand has been in "shambles" since Moniz left.

amela
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

reignjah11 wrote:I think he'll end up at SC!
He'll stay home and lead the Rainbow Warriors back to big bowl games like 2007!

amela

Post by amela »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:Rolo should have Makani Kema-Kaleiwahea, Fred Ulu-Perry and Larry Tuileta, (when he gets accepted into the UH Manoa system) host Tua when he schedules his official visit to UH.

Makani transferred home from Arizona, Fred transferred home from UCLA and Larry transferred from USC. They should all be able to attest to the "there's no place like home" belief. They should watch the Wizard of Oz together and listen to Dorothy Gale, saying, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Make HAWAII proud, Tua. The whole State of Hawaii. Defend Hawaii, not somewhere over the Rainbows.
Isn't there also a outstanding receiver that's also wanting to transfer back? Include him as a host too.