*** Official Dave Aranda Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
warriorfan808

Dave Aranda's ethnicity??

Post by warriorfan808 »

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering. I know it's not important and there will be guys that will say this even though I already mentioned it. I just can't help wondering what ethnicity his is. I mean, we've all talked about a diverse staff and this guy sounds like he's from an ethnic background different from everyone one else on staff.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Dave Aranda's ethnicity??

Post by Macnut »

I had to laugh when I seen this. :lol: I was just asking my wife the same thing when we saw him being interviewed on khon sports. We both agreed he must be mexican or maybe spanish.
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

I don't know man. Aranda sounds a bit filipino too.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

You could be right too.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I'm thinking Puerto Rican.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/q ... -crest.htm

This site says spanish but alot of filipino names are spanish too.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I don't think he's Filipino. It doesn't really matter. Brings diversity to the staff. Now with Ikaika, we have someone with Hawaiian descent. We probably have the most ethnic diversity of any D1a program.
ImageImage

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Irse wrote:I don't think he's Filipino. It doesn't really matter. Brings diversity to the staff. Now with Ikaika, we have someone with Hawaiian descent. We probably have the most ethnic diversity of any D1a program.
Could possibly be the most diverse staff in NCAA history!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/war ... er#c315894

Comment from Stephen Tsai:
Not sure what race has to do with anything, but for the record, Tinoco is half Filipino.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Garret wrote:http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/war ... er#c315894

Comment from Stephen Tsai:
Not sure what race has to do with anything, but for the record, Tinoco is half Filipino.
Great news!! It matters to those that are filipino!! There's nothing wrong with having a little pride in your ethnicity! I mean, we bring it up all the time when a recruit is samoan or tongan. I'm a human by race, American by Nationality and half filipino by ethnicity. Great to see someone else on the team with the same mix.

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

warriorfan808 wrote: Great news!! It matters to those that are filipino!! There's nothing wrong with having a little pride in your ethnicity! I mean, we bring it up all the time when a recruit is samoan or tongan. I'm a human by race, American by Nationality and half filipino by ethnicity. Great to see someone else on the team with the same mix.
Your post made me glad that I passed that along!

DaveR
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DaveR »

Irse wrote:I don't think he's Filipino. It doesn't really matter. Brings diversity to the staff. Now with Ikaika, we have someone with Hawaiian descent. We probably have the most ethnic diversity of any D1a program.

You may already know this, Irse, but the wording of your comment implies you might not: Cal and Ron Lee are also part-Hawaiian.

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

Another part Filipino here-- My Dad is from the Philippines-- if you have been to the Philippines, you will see that it is also very diverse-- much like here.
I like the diversity of the staff and the team-- both staff and team have to be the most diverse in the country.

I brought this up before-- we are really all related. The polynesians in particular started out with natives of the Philippines-- starting in Luzon, sailing in double-hulled canoes into the Pacific and eventually settling Hawaii-- if you look at a map starting with the Phillipines, you can see a natural progression of islands heading into the Pacific. Going back further, the forerunners of the polynesians came from Taiwan and sailed to the Philippines. You can trace the DNA, artwork-- the "tikis", double hulled canoes, and language-- there are several common words in Taiwanese, Filipino, Maori, Samoan, and Hawaiian. A few are lima or ilima-- meaning the number 5, lua or elua meaning the number 2, and baku or batu, also pohaku or pohatu, meaning rock or stone and many others. I tried to past a picture of a Taiwanese/Filipino sculpture that is similar to a Hawaiian sculpture-- If it won't work I will post on the other board. So the Pinoys and Sole's are actually close cousins-- as are we all when you go back far enough.

Some say the references to Hawai'i the ancient polynesian homeland describe a location near the Philippines or Taiwan.

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

You know Manoa, I remember reading that too somewhere a long time ago. I'm full pinoy and was amazed when I read that. Very interesting reading. Thanks for bringing that up!
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by beegpk »

her is a link to a story with his picture

http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/storag ... 6568.shtml