*** Official Marcus Mariota Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

*** Official Marcus Mariota Thread ***

Post by rednblue »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... gon-qb-job

The St. Louis School alum takes control of the helm for the #5 ranked team in the nation. He completes a lineup with some of college football's fastest players after beating out soph. Bryan Bennett in a tough battle.
Represent!

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Re: Marcus Mariota named Oregon Ducks starting QB

Post by Haynr8dr »

Awesome.

Ducks in fact have a handful of Islanders that are making major contributions to the team. It makes you wonder - why aren't they at Hawaii?

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

Very cool for Mariota. He's being given the keys to an amazing offensive machine.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Haynr8dr wrote:Awesome.

Ducks in fact have a handful of Islanders that are making major contributions to the team. It makes you wonder - why aren't they at Hawaii?
Well I can't speak for the others on the team, but Marcus went to Oregon cause the offense fits his skills perfectly, while I'm not sure how hard Hawaii was recruiting him, even if they were, the Run and Shoot does not fit well with him, and neither does Norm's pro-style offense. So it works out perfectly for him.

Good luck to him.

glockguy
All-conference
All-conference

Post by glockguy »

^ they're not at Hawaii because they got offers from better programs. Plain n simple, no ifs, ands or buts about it

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

EITSwarrior wrote:

Well I can't speak for the others on the team, but Marcus went to Oregon cause the offense fits his skills perfectly, while I'm not sure how hard Hawaii was recruiting him, even if they were, the Run and Shoot does not fit well with him, and neither does Norm's pro-style offense. So it works out perfectly for him.

Good luck to him.
You watch his tape? What makes you think he couldn't do well in a pro-style offense?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

saynotomercs wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:

Good luck to him.
You watch his tape? What makes you think he couldn't do well in a pro-style offense?
Yeah I watched him for a few years while watching my brother play at St. Louis.
He played in a simplified RNS while backing up Higgins, then the spread-option his senior year. Both offenses are nothing like a pro-style offense. He would need a lot of work to fix his mechanics, mainly his feet. Also he would need to work on operating under center instead of shotgun. I'm not trying to knock him at all, he's my boy, a fellow Crusader. Heck he could do well in a pro- offense if he played in it. I'm just saying the spread-option is perfect for his skills and thats why he went to Oregon instead of Hawaii in my opinion.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

go ducks!

nonkiboy
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by nonkiboy »

He's doing very well... against a not so good team.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

nonkiboy wrote:He's doing very well... against a not so good team.
I wouldn't say Arkansas State is a bad team. They went 10-2 last year. But yeah against Oregon they were totally outmatched, which you would expect.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

What's Mariota's ethnicity?

While I've never really followed him specifically, I had always thought that he was Asian.

After watching the game yesterday, seeing him and his family up close and personal, it appears that (the family) is polynesian.

Throw in the way the announcers were being careful to pronounce his name, I was wondering what so difficult about pronoucing his name (thinking Japanese)? Then I thought, "maybe, because it's a polynesian name - not Japanese".

Dude had AN AWESOME DEBUT! ... lots of local boys on that squad. Our niece spent a semester up there - she had to transfer out because she partied too much with all the locals at that school. She shared a pic of a party up there that look like any where on UH campus.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

Haynr8dr wrote:What's Mariota's ethnicity?

While I've never really followed him specifically, I had always thought that he was Asian.

After watching the game yesterday, seeing him and his family up close and personal, it appears that (the family) is polynesian.

Throw in the way the announcers were being careful to pronounce his name, I was wondering what so difficult about pronoucing his name (thinking Japanese)? Then I thought, "maybe, because it's a polynesian name - not Japanese".

Dude had AN AWESOME DEBUT! ... lots of local boys on that squad. Our niece spent a semester up there - she had to transfer out because she partied too much with all the locals at that school. She shared a pic of a party up there that look like any where on UH campus.

Dad is Samoan

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Haynr8dr »

LocalCheesehead wrote:
Dad is Samoan
Mahalo. I most definitely will be following this guy's career.

Essentially, he's the "Throwin' Samoan (part deux)". :D

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Could be the first island QB to win a BCS national championship.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

J-Rod wrote:Could be the first island QB to win a BCS national championship.
Hopefully they can get past USC!