White Sox sign ex-QB Mustain to Minors deal

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

White Sox sign ex-QB Mustain to Minors deal

Post by HawaiianHogster »

CHICAGO -- Instead of throwing passes, Mitch Mustain is going to switch to throwing fastballs.

Mustain, the former USC quarterback, has signed a Minor League deal with the White Sox. He was one of the country's top high school quarterbacks and played his freshman year at Arkansas in 2006 before transferring to USC. He has been behind Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley on the Trojans' depth chart.

"I haven't played in eight years, which, my age, it's going to be a little bit harder to get back into this," Mustain told 5News in Fayetteville, Ark. "As time goes, I figured this would be my one shot at it, and why not? I'm going to take this shot. I'm going to give it everything I have and see where it goes."

"I'm going to play one sport or the other until somebody tells me to go home," Mitch Mustain said. (AP)

Mustain, 23, last played baseball at Springdale (Ark.) High School. Since his junior year in high school, he has a 61-3 record as a starting quarterback. Mustain signed with the Georgia Force of the Arena Football League last September, but then tried out for the White Sox. His fastball hit 90 mph on the radar gun.

"I'm confident that I'll get back in shape quickly for it," Mustain said. "They're going to give me the opportunity to face batters and get my feet wet no matter what happens to me. If I'm getting tagged right off the bat, I'll just keep plugging away."

Mustain not only struggled at USC, but he was arrested last year for trying to sell medication he was taking to treat his attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He is trying to bounce back.

"I'm going to play one sport or the other until somebody tells me to go home," he said, "until they're not even going to let me try. So I'm going to go do it and literally throw everything I have at it and see where it goes."

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. She writes a blog, Muskat Ramblings, and you can follow her on Twitter@CarrieMuskat. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”