Maui High-Coach Curtis Lee Stepping Down

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Kahuluiguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Maui High-Coach Curtis Lee Stepping Down

Post by Kahuluiguy »

After 21 years, 10 MIL championships, Curtis Lee has decided to step down. Maui High football's last championship was in 2000. They've been competitive for at least 2nd or 3rd the last 4 years but this year has been in the cellar. Lee has decided to hang it up. His rooster went down to 28 players. His smashmouth football became to predictable and he was stubborn to change with no passing game.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Any word on his staff? My cousin is a defensive coach.

Kahuluiguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Maui Coaching

Post by Kahuluiguy »

No word on the staff. A couple of years ago there were rumors about MHS educator and former player Keith Shirota but I don't think he's interested because he has a small kids and last I heard he wasn't interested. Then there is former JV coach who was with the Varsity assistant-David NeSmith but someone said he was thinking about going into Administration. There is assistants from JV Blaise Yoshida an educator. I hear they have to hire within the (DOE) school first before going outside. There is a VP-David Tanuvasa. I don't know if he was the one coaching Millilani or Mckinley a few years back. Maybe he might be interested. I do hear rumblings that there have been quite a large interest. They were waiting for Lee to finally step down.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

...had an effect on MHS program

Post by SM96753 »

I think the opening of King Kekaulike High school really affected the quality of athletes at Maui High. Once King K opened, Maui High lost all the hard-nosed country boys from the slopes of Haleakala.

Instead, they got all the kids from South Maui because of the reclassification of school districts. Nothing against the youth of Kihei/Wailea but they have not had the "focus" when it came to youth football programs.

With all the growth in South Maui, maybe there will be more community support of pee wee and pop warner football or youth sports in general. I know that the Little League baseball programs have begun to be very competitive in the past couple of years.