oklahoma and texas to the sec. what will the mountain west look like in 2025

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Realignment rumor (probably the first one of the 2020s)

Post by wyokie »

Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC. Announcement in two weeks.

My $0.02...won't happen because OU loves to run the Big 12 like BYU used to run the WAC/Mountain West.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Realignment rumor (probably the first one of the 2020s)

Post by gopunahou »

wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC. Announcement in two weeks.

My $0.02...won't happen because OU loves to run the Big 12 like BYU used to run the WAC/Mountain West.
I always thought that BYU and Cincinnati would be great additions to the Big 12. Then I remembered that BYU and Texas would share the conference.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:49 pm
wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC. Announcement in two weeks.

I always thought that BYU and Cincinnati would be great additions to the Big 12. Then I remembered that BYU and Texas would share the conference.
That idea would've guaranteed the end to the Big 12. LOL

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If OU wasn't interested, they would not be pursuing this. Maybe a bigger payday in the SEC.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 am If OU wasn't interested, they would not be pursuing this. Maybe a bigger payday in the SEC.
Read an article that OU wants to move out so they can get better kickoff times. Having 11 a.m. kickoffs have hurt recruiting. :roll: Big 12 won't help them on things. This years big game against Nebraska was supposed to be on at 7 p.m. Prime Time but nope, the networks wanted the game at 11 a.m. and the Big 12 wouldn't help OU make the case that the game should be played on prime time.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:09 am If OU wasn't interested, they would not be pursuing this. Maybe a bigger payday in the SEC.
Read an article that OU wants to move out so they can get better kickoff times. Having 11 a.m. kickoffs have hurt recruiting. :roll: Big 12 won't help them on things. This years big game against Nebraska was supposed to be on at 7 p.m. Prime Time but nope, the networks wanted the game at 11 a.m. and the Big 12 wouldn't help OU make the case that the game should be played on prime time.
Interesting. But I wonder if moving the the SEC, with their glut of games, would have the same problem. I can't see the SEC catering to Oklahoma over their other schools.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:52 am
wyokie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am
Interesting. But I wonder if moving the the SEC, with their glut of games, would have the same problem. I can't see the SEC catering to Oklahoma over their other schools.
I had the same thought earlier today. I wonder if OU is like the guy who wants to be with hottest chick in school whom EVERYBODY wants to be with when he already has a really good-looking girlfriend. Lousy analogy but you all get the idea. The grass is never greener on the other side!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

I honestly don't think MW membership will change at all. So no one in Hawaii should be worried.

My prediction of where everyone in the Big 12 ends provided they don't try to add anybody to keep the Big 12 going...

OU and Texas to the SEC (I know...super obvious but still...)
Baylor, TCU, OSU, and Texas Tech all end up in the PAC-Pick A Number!!!!
Kansas and Iowa State end up in the Big Ten
WVU will go to the ACC along with Notre Dame Football

Which leaves K-State as the lone Big 12 school without a home. My guess...AAC (Navy, Tulsa, Memphis, etc...

Plus, the death of Big 12 will harm UW wrestling as the program is an Affiliate member of the Big 12.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

wyokie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:34 am I honestly don't think MW membership will change at all. So no one in Hawaii should be worried.

My prediction of where everyone in the Big 12 ends provided they don't try to add anybody to keep the Big 12 going...

Which leaves K-State as the lone Big 12 school without a home. My guess...AAC (Navy, Tulsa, Memphis, etc...

Plus, the death of Big 12 will harm UW wrestling as the program is an Affiliate member of the Big 12.
Your predictions pretty much align with this guy's: https://twitter.com/RufusJefferson3/sta ... 62/photo/1

The difference is, he thinks TCU will be the lone Big 12 school without a home.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:05 pm
wyokie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:34 am I honestly don't think MW membership will change at all. So no one in Hawaii should be worried.

Your predictions pretty much align with this guy's: https://twitter.com/RufusJefferson3/sta ... 62/photo/1

The difference is, he thinks TCU will be the lone Big 12 school without a home.
LOL Can't see K-State going to the PAC-Pick a number but O.K.

If he's right, I could see TCU getting into either the AAC (with fellow regional schools Houston, SMU, and Tulsa) or dare I say it, back to the Mountain West.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Interesting predictions. Both make sense and one will be left out.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

Saw the statement the Texas Tech president gave yesterday. With words like R1 research institution and diverse student body some took that as a read between the lines plea to the PAC 12. There are rumors the three remaining Texas schools reached out to the PAC 12 yesterday.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

rodfather wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 am Saw the statement the Texas Tech president gave yesterday. With words like R1 research institution and diverse student body some took that as a read between the lines plea to the PAC 12. There are rumors the three remaining Texas schools reached out to the PAC 12 yesterday.
LOL Saw that. Had to laugh at it. Might as well just write a resume for the university like a person would when finding a new job.

Okie State's President issued a statement about the situation and she was royally PISSED at OU for it. A new era for OU-OSU Bedlam just started.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:34 am
rodfather wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 am Saw the statement the Texas Tech president gave yesterday. With words like R1 research institution and diverse student body some took that as a read between the lines plea to the PAC 12. There are rumors the three remaining Texas schools reached out to the PAC 12 yesterday.
LOL Saw that. Had to laugh at it. Might as well just write a resume for the university like a person would when finding a new job.

Okie State's President issued a statement about the situation and she was royally PISSED at OU for it. A new era for OU-OSU Bedlam just started.
I think the PAC 12 has certain academic/research requirements for membership. Not sure if they will do away with that to add more schools.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am
wyokie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:34 am

I think the PAC 12 has certain academic/research requirements for membership. Not sure if they will do away with that to add more schools.
When Texas & OU almost went to the PAC-10 about 10 years ago right before Nebraska went to the Big Ten, etc...the PAC-10 had at the time invited Texas, OU, Colorado (who did say yes), Texas Tech, Texas A & M, and Oklahoma State. At the last second Texas and OU said no thanks and so Texas Tech & Okie State stayed in the Big 12 as well. So inviting Texas Tech now won't be a problem.