Next opponent: Lobos

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Next opponent: Lobos

Post by SundayJam »

This game is not going to be an easy one. While some call Hawaii's win over AFA a signature win for Rolovich, New Mexico also beat the Falcons in a much more convincing manner. They led the entire game. At one point they were up by as much as 42 - 27. The final score was 45 - 40 in regulation time. New Mexico's defense appears to be much stauncher: holding the Falcons 3/11 for 3rd down attempts and 1/3 for 4th down attempts. The game was also played at the academy and there were no turnovers by either team.

We opened at 2 point favorites.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Next opponent: Lobos

Post by shrek2 »

UNM is tough to measure because they didn't play any big time program. Hawaii played Michigan, Cal and Arizona. Rutgers beat UNM but Michigan beat Rutgers 78-0. I guess whoever has the ball on offense longer will win. Hopefully the defense has a scheme to slow down their run.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

We better not take them lightly...

hawaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiian »

UNM vs AF was not played in CO Springs...it was at a neutral site at Dallas' stadium I believe...

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

The AFA New Mexico game was played at the Cotton Bowl.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

New Mexico also runs the Option Offense. They know exactly what Air Force is going to do. That's why their defense against Air Force fared better than ours did. They face the option day in and day out during practice. Warriors are a different offense and NM has a hard time defending other offenses.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

My concern with the Lobos is that I hear they have more team speed than Air Force, and can throw the ball better than the Falcons. Seems like UNLV's speed cause problems for the Warriors.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Grinch wrote:My concern with the Lobos is that I hear they have more team speed than Air Force, and can throw the ball better than the Falcons. Seems like UNLV's speed cause problems for the Warriors.
Yep speed has given us problems. This is the kind of game where we will have to out score them. Get out in front early on then match them score for score. Hopefully our d will get a few stops or maybe a turnover along the way.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

RedZone wrote:
Grinch wrote:My concern with the Lobos is that I hear they have more team speed than Air Force, and can throw the ball better than the Falcons. Seems like UNLV's speed cause problems for the Warriors.
Yep speed has given us problems. This is the kind of game where we will have to out score them. Get out in front early on then match them score for score. Hopefully our d will get a few stops or maybe a turnover along the way.
This page breaks it down ... and it's a lot more even than you might think. We throw for way more yards but they rush for way more yards. I think we have a net 21 yard offensive advantage per game with a 1.6 average score advantage, as well. Our defense, however, should be better.
https://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheb ... 1610300091
Last edited by madeinhawaii on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Their base offense is triple option out of the Pistol formation with zone blocking. They will also use a variety of sets to try to confuse the defense. It's very different from Air Force and will entail a different defensive scheme. About the only thing that the defense can take from the Air Force game is that they need to be even better with their assignments because of New Mexico's speed. They are way more athletic and faster than Air Force.

Here's the highlight video of their last game

Link

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Donnel Pumphrey, Jeremy McNichils, and Brian Hill get the attention in the MW at RB, but Teriyon Gipson is as good as any of them. 13.0 YPC is an astounding number.

Their offense isn't as effective when Apodaca comes into the game. In fact, their offense often stalls when they attempt to use him. Let's hope he sees more playing time than Jordan.

But definitely be braced for a shootout. I've seen some blowout predictions from fans across message boards/blogs/social media. This game is much more likely to be close. FWIW, more gambling sites have UNM winning.

I've watched UNM play twice. Once vs. Boise, the other vs. Air Force. Boise embarrassed them. 42-7 at half, coulda won by 70+. UNM was no match for their talent. AFA on the other hand, looked slow compared to UNM. Going to be a tough match.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Totally agree. UNLV's team speed was on defense as well as offense. The offensive has to be creative to keep UNM off balance. Switch out the running backs mid series, find a mix of receivers (not just Kemp). Kory and Co. may be the key in stalling their run.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

They are loaded at RB, DL, and OL, but their quarterback roster is thin. Their starting quarterback got beat up last week. One's questionable with a hamstring and the other was out with a collarbone injury last week. That leaves one freshman, one red shirt freshman, and one red shirt sophomore to lead the lobos this week.

https://campusinsiders.com/news/new-mex ... 0-25-2016/
What To Know About New Mexico

The Lobos didn’t ask quarterback Lamar Jordan to do too much, but he did enough. Jordan completed 5-of-9 passes for 107 yards and one touchdown. That lone scoring strike went to Dameon Gamblin, who caught the one pass from 10 yards out. In fact, seven different players caught only one pass for New Mexico. JaJuan Lawson was 2-of-2 passing for the Lobos, and there’s a chance he could start against Hawaii considering Jordan has a hamstring injury, and Austin Apodaca is still recovering from a collarbone fracture.

While the passing game was somewhat boring, the ground game was working great. Tyrone Owens exploded for 171 rushing yards and a touchdown on nine carries. Teriyon Gipson took his eight touches for 84 rushing yards and a score. And then Richard McQuarley, Diquon Woodhouse and Daryl Chestnut all combined for 183 rushing yards with one touchdown apiece.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Remember when Hawaii beat Navy at home?
Can't remember who our D-coordinator was but we stuffed their run. And every time their QB had the ball, whether he pitched it or not, our D-ends and LBs would hit um.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Grinch wrote:Remember when Hawaii beat Navy at home?
Can't remember who our D-coordinator was but we stuffed their run. And every time their QB had the ball, whether he pitched it or not, our D-ends and LBs would hit um.
I'm guessing that coordinator would have to be Dave Aranda who is now the defensive coordinator at LSU. Edit: After checking his LSU bio, he was DC at Hawaii for 2010 and 2011. Was McMackin DC in 2009 or Lempa? It was Cal Lee. Interesting.