What we learned after the first 7 weeks!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: What we learned after the first 4 weeks!

Post by Palolo_2LA »

1) The Offensive scheme is not as wide open as I thought it would be
2) Running up the gut has remained a staple, which reminds me of Unko Chow's $hitty offense. UH will never and has never had the OLs and RBs for that system
3) Dru is the QB of the future
4) The D can't stop anyone
5) Rolo and his coaches are doing in game tweaks that Chow ball didn't
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

All great observations by everyone above. I can't add anything else at this time.
:thumbup:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

shoichikun808 wrote:Never schedule 3 away games, especially "money" games, in the first 4 weeks (don't care that one was considered "neutral").
Whoever made that schedule should be shot. Maybe one PAC 12 team in the beginning of the season, otherwise, these games should have been back-loaded into the back of the schedule.

Hawaii fans don't come out for a 1-3 team. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the stadium can muster 20K on game nights from here on out.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote: We gave up 202 points in four games.

It is unfortunate that we lost one player to his criminal behavior. Hopefully, his behavior changes. But i can tell you, his loss made zero difference in the W-L totals.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but KTM was our top defensive player. He had a love hate relationship with his girlfriend that resulted in his neighbors calling the police. The only offense they could pin on him was beating up his girlfriend's dad's dashboard well after the fact. I think it's nonsensical that we should turn our back on one of our own for such a minor offense. It was a poor choice of relationship rather than a criminal act that delighted the administration to delete him.

I would venture to say that the first four games we played were the hardest fought we've ever fought. I have mad respect for CAL, Michigan, UT Martin, and Arizona. Unfortunately, the removal of a NOSE GUARD that has always been considered a top prospect and team spokesperson for frivolous reasons has had a detrimental affect on the team.
Coach Rolo said that 2 defensive players could return next year if lessons were learned. I wonder who?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

i learned that teams are running the ball around the end and taking it to the house.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Haynr8dr wrote:
shoichikun808 wrote:Never schedule 3 away games, especially "money" games, in the first 4 weeks (don't care that one was considered "neutral").
Whoever made that schedule should be shot. Maybe one PAC 12 team in the beginning of the season, otherwise, these games should have been back-loaded into the back of the schedule.

Hawaii fans don't come out for a 1-3 team. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the stadium can muster 20K on game nights from here on out.
The Cal game was an opportunity we could not pass up, and not just for the money. we were petitioning the NCAA to modify the Hawaii exemption and allow us to start the season a week early. we had to get out there and show that we were willing to do it, other teams are willing to do it, and that people will watch it. we had to do this even though the front part of the schedule this year was not ideal. We can't say that we need the exemption and then be like "oh but this year we don't want the early game because its too hard".

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Haynr8dr wrote:

The early SCHEDULE is the only A+ thing about this team. It's a GREAT schedule !! There are problems with the rest of the program that need to be addressed. But for AT Martin, This was an A+ schedule that all the team should be pumped about. You win some you lose some, it just looks like we have some work to do. We've got to double down and work harder.
Make no mistake, neither Hawaii Fans or ANYONEELSE shows up for Community College games. We must applaud this schedule. Too bad it didn't work out better this year. It will in the future !!
Go Bows !!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam wrote:We played 4 very good teams and we're lucky to have won one of them.
The loss of our best defensive player due to the whims of a prudish administration hurt us big time.

I could see us having a winning season.
That's one conference win! Keep 'em coming!

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I see our Warriors as a 6-7 team, with the right luck, maybe 7-6.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I see us winning against SJSU, UNLV, AFA, UNM, FRES, and MASS.
That puts us at 8-5 on the season and a Hawaii Bowl appearance.
I wouldn't bet on it, but I really like the chemistry of the team and staff.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:I see us winning against SJSU, UNLV, AFA, UNM, FRES, and MASS.
That puts us at 8-5 on the season and a Hawaii Bowl appearance.
I wouldn't bet on it, but I really like the chemistry of the team and staff.
i'm optimistic as well. we will learn whether or not our optimism is misplaced this weekend. part of why we were able to beat Nevada was that we have better athletes and they were put into position to be successful. that same formula should work against SJSU as well.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote: i'm optimistic as well. we will learn whether or not our optimism is misplaced this weekend. part of why we were able to beat Nevada was that we have better athletes and they were put into position to be successful. that same formula should work against SJSU as well.
Yup, this will be an important week. I agree with most of SundayJam's picks, but beating Air Force in Colorado Springs would be an absolute shocker. I'm not ready to go that far.

That said, this is Hawaii football. It doesn't matter if we're talking about the dark depths of the Von Appen era, or the glory of the JJ era: Hawaii is notorious for looking great at home one week, and bad on the road the next.

Nevada is an awful team. San Jose State, while not the class of the MW, has some dangerous pieces. Kenny Potter is one of the better QBs we'll see all season, and again...this program isn't known for being lights out away from Aloha Stadium.

So as you said, this is a big week. If they can pull off a win @SJSU, 7-6 is looking like a real possibility.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote:
poidog wrote: i'm optimistic as well. we will learn whether or not our optimism is misplaced this weekend. part of why we were able to beat Nevada was that we have better athletes and they were put into position to be successful. that same formula should work against SJSU as well.
Yup, this will be an important week. I agree with most of SundayJam's picks, but beating Air Force in Colorado Springs would be an absolute shocker. I'm not ready to go that far.

That said, this is Hawaii football. It doesn't matter if we're talking about the dark depths of the Von Appen era, or the glory of the JJ era: Hawaii is notorious for looking great at home one week, and bad on the road the next.

Nevada is an awful team. San Jose State, while not the class of the MW, has some dangerous pieces. Kenny Potter is one of the better QBs we'll see all season, and again...this program isn't known for being lights out away from Aloha Stadium.

So as you said, this is a big week. If they can pull off a win @SJSU, 7-6 is looking like a real possibility.
Agree. Airforce has a really good team this year. I saw what they did to Navy. I expect them to be visiting the Pres but Army has improved. It will be a must watch game for me. As for the SJS game it will probably come down to penalties. Coach has been tinkering with the oline a lot. I hope they have settled down on a group but they need to stop getting those penalties. We will need those long clock eating drives to help our defense. 3and outs will kill us and as we saw last week turn-overs will kill us too.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Re: What we learned after the first 6 weeks!

Post by BigWave96744 »

SDSU was exposed by South Alabama
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html

Air Force is still a Force by beating Navy
Boise is still Boise, reloaded & picking up steam

BigWave96744

Re: What we learned after the first 6 weeks!

Post by BigWave96744 »

Observations
- Ha'a done after running out of the tunnel got he crowd going, more than when they do it 20 minutes before kickoff in a mostly empty stadium
- Gaylord still got a way of getting the crowd excited after kickoffs
- Lots of Alum in the stands or on the sideline
- At the end of the 3rd Qtr, Kapena's Masese & Cheehoo cam is way better in getting the crowd going than take me home country road