Gorman...what's up with that?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Gorman...what's up with that?

Post by Markeke »

BG is in a weird situation. The 25 million donated for that football program came from a gambling conglomerate. There are millions of addicted gamblers in Vegas and as many broken families. Kinda like a conflict of interest and religion. Just saying.

WhatEWA BEACH
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WhatEWA BEACH »

Dog 96707 wrote:
Bus3001 wrote:So if for arguments sake Bishop Gorman was close enough to kick a FG and made it on the last play of the game to make it a final of 38-7 would that be considered running up the score???
I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing. I remember thinking that kahuku was rubbing it in by kicking that field goal with 30 seconds left in last years state championship game. Then I heard that Stl didn't accept the 2nd place trophy. Both acts are classless to me, but 2 wrongs nvr make a right. I saw what BG did too, again I also thought that was no class by throwing a bomb with little time left. No need to complain, that's just the way it is now days. These coaches, especially the ones that are nationally ranked (ie:BG and kahuku) must want to put up points. they know it looks better on the national scale if the scores are big.
Dog & Bus,

I'm just content in knowing I wasn't the only one thinking about all the "rage" that was aimed at BG at the end of the game. Was it unsportsmanlike, absolutely. But no more so than when Kahuku, already up two touchdowns and with the State Championship wrapped-up, kicked a field goal with :07 left on the clock. Kahuku, St. Louis, and BG all have a winning football pedigree (state and national, respectively). But, there are moments when a Head Coach has the opportunity to teach their players something beyond the "X's" and "O's", yet choose to diminish the luster of what their athletes have fought for, all game and all season, with a call they make. There is one person on that sideline that makes the final call, the Head Coach. Be it to kick a field goal in the final seconds with a huge lead, to throw a bomb in the final seconds with a huge lead, or not accept a runner-up trophy. Those three coaches have led their teams to impressive levels and will continue to do so, as they are great coaches with greater athletes. But it is disappointing when one sees those opportunities to show the state/nation what your program represents, slip away.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Markeke wrote:BG is in a weird situation. The 25 million donated for that football program came from a gambling conglomerate. There are millions of addicted gamblers in Vegas and as many broken families. Kinda like a conflict of interest and religion. Just saying.
There are very questionable streams of revenue surrounded by the Bishop Gorman program more specifically the Fertitta brothers and it has nothing to do with gambling. Winning is not worth the declining of your set of basic morals. I just hope the many of Hawaii transplants in Vegas dont get involved with any of it.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Regarding last years state championship game, I personally would've taken a knee. But, Sasaoka was having an off night, and being a senior, I might've let him go for it.
Regarding the BG game, I'm more ok with a field goal(especially if it was from a good distance) than bombs away. Again, if you watched the game, BG made it look like they were going just run out the clock It wasn't like it was the 2nd string qb just trying to get some reps.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Dog 96707 wrote:
Bus3001 wrote:So if for arguments sake Bishop Gorman was close enough to kick a FG and made it on the last play of the game to make it a final of 38-7 would that be considered running up the score???
I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing. I remember thinking that kahuku was rubbing it in by kicking that field goal with 30 seconds left in last years state championship game. Then I heard that Stl didn't accept the 2nd place trophy. Both acts are classless to me, but 2 wrongs nvr make a right. I saw what BG did too, again I also thought that was no class by throwing a bomb with little time left. No need to complain, that's just the way it is now days. These coaches, especially the ones that are nationally ranked (ie:BG and kahuku) must want to put up points. they know it looks better on the national scale if the scores are big.
@Dog 96707: Well, I'd like to think Tata has more class than that, but I guess actions speak louder than words. Rubbing it in when you're already the clear victor just isn't the way we're supposed to do things here in Hawaii; it's not our way.

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

1. BG decided to bomb that pass to give their second string quarterback a rep. Was it innapropriate? Maybe. I can see where you are coming from.

2. Kahuku kicked on the 45 yard line at the half not because BG was sticking middle fingers. It was because of the BG coach going insane about that spike fumble, which was clearly a spike and one of the worst football calls I've seen in my life.

3. "As for Martel, he'll fit in well with Urban Meyer's offense. A runner who can't throw ala, a smaller version of Tim Tebow. Martel let's everyone know of his goal... to play in the NFL. Good Luck punk."

I had respect for your post until you said that. It's clear you are just salty from the game from the tone about Martel. Did Martel throw the bomb at the end? No. What did he do to deserve this attack. Nothing, so my conclusion is that you are just angry Kahuku lost the game.

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

IFeelThat¿ wrote:1. BG decided to bomb that pass to give their second string quarterback a rep. Was it innapropriate? Maybe. I can see where you are coming from.

2. Kahuku kicked on the 45 yard line at the half not because BG was sticking middle fingers. It was because of the BG coach going insane about that spike fumble, which was clearly a spike and one of the worst football calls I've seen in my life.

3. "As for Martel, he'll fit in well with Urban Meyer's offense. A runner who can't throw ala, a smaller version of Tim Tebow. Martel let's everyone know of his goal... to play in the NFL. Good Luck punk."

I had respect for your post until you said that. It's clear you are just salty from the game from the tone about Martel. Did Martel throw the bomb at the end? No. What did he do to deserve this attack. Nothing, so my conclusion is that you are just angry Kahuku lost the game.
Actually it was Martel throwing the bomb at the end of the game. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bA57Z4fj7c Martel threw 2 bombs in the last 15 seconds of the game. Don't know if it was Coach Sanchez or Martel's call, but wasn't needed. And for the record, I didn't agree with Kahuku kicking a last second field goal against St Louis or Mililani, like they did last year.

Go Big Red!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Aitorahi wrote:
IFeelThat¿ wrote:1. BG decided to bomb that pass to give their second string quarterback a rep. Was it innapropriate? Maybe. I can see where you are coming from.

Actually it was Martel throwing the bomb at the end of the game. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bA57Z4fj7c Martel threw 2 bombs in the last 15 seconds of the game. Don't know if it was Coach Sanchez or Martel's call, but wasn't needed. And for the record, I didn't agree with Kahuku kicking a last second field goal against St Louis or Mililani, like they did last year.

Go Big Red!
@Aitorahi: Let's hope it wasn't Martel's call. No HC should allow such a play, at that stage of the game, when the score is 35-7. If Sanchez called that play, shame on him. Again, such a play--no matter who called it--makes Bishop Gorman look bad. That's all there is to it. And, as they say: What goes around, comes around. Bishop Gorman may be riding high right now; will they be riding high forever? People need to be more humble, and make decisions that reflect more class. And, well, I guess that goes for Tata, too. Perhaps what Bishop Gorman did--and how Tata must have felt about it--will henceforth inform calls he makes when there are only seconds left in the game, and Kahuku clearly has the win. Perhaps there was a lesson in the Bishop Gorman game for Tata, too.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

What game were you watching? It WAS Martel that threw the bomb at the end.