Postgame Thoughts

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Postgame Thoughts

Post by J-Rod »

Offense: Much, much better. If Saint Juste stays healthy, this unit will be mid-MW at worst.
Defense: Damn guys. Staying healthy is going to determine this season. We're teetering on 2004 status if the injury bug bites hard. Cal was unbelievably predictable and still gashed us.

Overall, much better than Chow ball. Much better.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Postgame Thoughts

Post by Markazulu »

Thoughts on the special teams?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Better but ways to go. But I think our O scored more against Cal than most of Chow era
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

like how the offense was able to move the ball at times, receivers need to catch the ball. I like the running game with Diocemy, Lakalaka was good filling in too

like how the defense looked at times, need to clean up the tackling and mistakes/penalties

special teams leave a lot to be desired.

Markazulu

Post by Markazulu »

Offense: Loving our running backs, thought ikaika looked better than previous years, less balls dropped.
Defense: didnt like the tackling and seemed like a lot of miscommunication in the secondary.
Special teams: seemed like the kickoff coverage needs a little work.

Overall i thought it was way better than previous years. Looking forward to the progression.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I come away cautiously optimistic. I saw good things and bad things. If we can survive this September gauntlet with few injuries, who knows? A surprise bowl run might be in store. That said, that's a big ask. Rasmussen and Mayo already left with injuries tonight. Hope it's not serious.

Any hopes of 6-7 wins rest on getting a little favoritism from the football gods. We're still a few key injuries away from a rough season.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

Rolo Better tighten down the hatches in terms of discipline. losing 3 key players before the game doesn't help at all! Just saying! But yes, I think that the O-line and RB's are the stars thus far!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Yes Progress will be made for sure. How much will be determined by how hard they play for each other. I saw many good things in tonight's game. Now correct the bad ones and improve on the good ones and maybe you will see more wins than losses this season. No matter what happens in the Big House I will be so excited to see our Warriors play their first game at home. Then their first MWC game at home against Nevada. By then they will be ready.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I say on special teams the return team will take it to the house a few times if they stay healthy and don't turn the ball over or get penalized.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

415hawaiiboy
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Finally got my UH football back

OL, RBs, Ikaika played really well. I thought the D played well also given the amount of talent Cal had on Offense. Kemp will be our leading receiver. Barker was good, Collie had some nice catches. Ursua missed a great opportunity to get in space towards the end on the 2nd quarter, dropping a slant. I think he's going to get better and better. I have to remember this is his first game in college football. The TEs could have been more active on the receiving but I'm sure they helped with our rushing.

Injuries, I hope we can overcome that. We needed a fresh JGW and Lewis this game. They let the team down but I hope to see them back soon. A Kennedy would have been good. I wish we could have put Webb on his okole.

Really impressed with the hoggies in the OL trenches. Solid. We were in this and we scored 31 points. DSJ long TD run was electrifying. Wow.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Offense- Much improved oline. Quarterback still hot and cold. Runningbacks were always good. The improved oline and play calling makes them better. SJ looks to be much stronger this year. Still they need to rotate their backs more.

Defense- Really weak on the dline. They tried to compensate by playing fast but over ran plays. They settled down later but was really worn down. Probably some of the worst tackling I have seen from UH defense. I think our dbs need to spend more time in the weight room.

Special Teams- The group that needs the most work. Just plain bad.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Not making excuses but wondering how suspension of three players right before game affected them?
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

Markazulu wrote:Thoughts on the special teams?
ST needs work :-?

can't believe we tried an onside kick to start the game. wish we didn't do that. ugh

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

honu888 wrote:Rolo Better tighten down the hatches in terms of discipline. losing 3 key players before the game doesn't help at all! Just saying! But yes, I think that the O-line and RB's are the stars thus far!
+1! i hope we don't lose players to a game under those circumstances, whatever they were, again after today!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I'm not sure why they called so many pass plays during that one stretch in the second quarter. It's like they forgot that they were going to be a balanced offense for a few minutes. Either way, saw some promise from the offense and I think Woolsey showed enough to be "the guy" (and he did even better when the offense was less predictable). 50% completion rate is not going to get the job done.

The defense, though? their aggressiveness was used against them several times today. I'm hoping that they figure it out before conference play. We struggled with Cal's speed on offense and it will be worse against Michigan (Thanks, Ben Jay!).

I don't think we'll see Ewaliko returning kicks in important situations. His game awareness is not there.

Lakalaka's play was similar to when he took over after Joey Iosefa got hurt - he caught everyone by surprise and ran effectively. I think he can be a nice compliment to Harris and St. Juste and be the closer if he can stay healthy.

Ursua looked bigger in pads than I thought he would.

Woolsey should get to run the ball a few more times a game than he did.