HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: HHSAA creates Open Division Football Playoffs

Post by Markeke »

Let's see if the OIA#1 plays the ILH#2 in the semi.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Markeke wrote:Let's see if the OIA#1 plays the ILH#2 in the semi.
I would think so. OIA 2 seed in ILH 1 side of the bracket and ILH 2 seed in OIA 1 side of the bracket. I guess OIA 3 and 4 will be placed accordingly to which ever is the higher ranked OIA/ILH 2 seed.

PokemonMastah
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by PokemonMastah »

D1:
1. Kahuku
2. St. Louis
3. Punahou
4. Mililani
5. Waianae
6. Farrington
7. Kamehameha
8. Kapolei
9. Leilehua
10. Iolani

Each team plays 1 non-conference preseason game and 9 regular season games. At the end of the regular season, the top 6 teams make the playoffs with the #1 and #2 seeds getting a bye. Playoff format is exactly like the NFL. #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5. Higher seed faces #2, lower seed faces #1. Winners advance to the championship game while the losers play for 3rd and 4th place. All 4 teams make the state tournament.

D2:
Kailua
Campbell
Moanalua
Aiea
Castle
Nanakuli
Kaiser
Damien
Pac-5
Saint Francis

D3:
Radford
Kaimuki
Waipahu
Pearl City
Kalani
Roosevelt
McKinley
Waialua
Kalaheo

EASY! No one can complain cuz it's the best playing against the best and we will truly find out who is #1.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kudos to the HHSAA for taking leadership on this new state tournament format.Kudos for the 5 leagues for coming together to agree on it.

Apparently,schools are still going to be in either D-I or D-II according to each leagues determination.Nothing changes in D-II. Same old,same old there. That's OK.

I do wonder about the criteria used to determine which six schools from D-I are competing in the Open Division. It seemed from the linked articles that Kamehameha declared they only wanted to be considered for the Open state tourney. If schools are being allowed to declare, what is the use of this? Prove you belong in the Open Division by either getting to the semifinals in the OIA D-I playoffs,or by getting to the finals of the ILH D-I playoff.

The OIA is probably going to have to revise their one and done format in league playoffs.Opening round losers are going to be the next logical choices for the OIA D-I tourney slots,so I'm thinking that there will have to be a consolation round of some kind between the 8 teams that don't get into the top four to determine the OIA D-I state reps.The ILH should have it's D-1 playoff opening round losers play each other to determine the ILH D-I
State rep.

MauiSun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MauiSun »

So according to articles, Iolani is already in state tourney as lone ILH representative in D-1. The other 3 will play for open division spot.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The HHSAA statement says that the top three ILH D-I teams will play for the two ILH Open Division state playoff spots.

If Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis stick to this it kinda does seem like the ILH is going to screw up the works because one of the Big Three isn't going to get into the Open Division tournament. So, whether it's Punahou,St.Louis ,or Kamehameha that loses in the first round of ILH D-I playoffs,what then. Does that school stay at home,refusing to play the other opening round loser to decide who gets into states in the D-I tourney. Is that team going to let,let;s say Iolani into a state playoff by default and stay home and watch the Open Division thinking they should have been there when they couldn't get into the championship game of their own league.

If the season unfolds like I think it might ,then it will be interesting to see which one of the Big Three is the loser in their ILH playoff,then see if they stay home ,not playing in any state tournament just because they can'T make it into the Open Division tournament.

What happens if Iolani finishes 2 or 3 after the regular season.Iolani could conceivably say we should compete in the Open Division playoff. If Iolani were to win its opening round D-I ILH game that would put them into the championship final. Would the Raiders say,oh,that's ok,we'll just accept a D-I slot and let the Big Three they just beat go on try to get into the Open Division anyway? Gonna be interesting. Iolani just needs to win it's opening round league playoff game to really make it interesting for the Big Three.

The only thing that seem to be sure is that one of Punahou,St.Louis,or Kamehameha is not going to make it to states this year.
Last edited by unpaid on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:The HHSAA statement says that the top three ILH D-I teams will play for the two ILH Open Division state playoff spots.

If Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis stick to this it kinda does seem like the ILH is going to screw up the works because one of the Big Three isn't going to get into the Open Division tournament. So, whether it's Punahou,St.Louis ,or Kamehameha that loses in the first round of ILH D-I playoffs,what then. Does that school stay at home,refusing to play the other opening round loser to decide who gets into states in the D-I tourney. Is that team going to let,let;s say Iolani into a state playoff by default and stay home and watch the Open Division thinking they should have been there when they couldn't get into the championship game of their own league.

If the season unfolds like I think it might ,then it will be interesting to see which one of the Big Three is the loser in their ILH playoff,then see if they stay home ,not playing in any state tournament just because they can'T make it into the Open Division tournament.
I got a feeling that the other leagues don't want one of the Big Three playing in the D1 tourney.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

You're right @goponahou, wasn't that the whole point of creating the open division? Correct me if i'm wrong but the driving force was creating a division of elite competition, and as Coach Lee said, why would you want blow out games? Okay, then why compete for the Open and if you don't make it then play in the DI playoffs? So in other words, the teams that compete for DI should drop down to DII if they don't make it? No, the teams should declare what division they are competing for and if you lose you stay home, that goes for every Island.

ka'ahupahau706
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

Nice, 3 State Tournament Brackets:
This is what I'm guessing from the articles.

ILH Open Division ( 2 out of the Big 3 makes it to the tournament)
ILH D1 - Only Iolani, so basically they are already in the tournament (Still Second Best if they win this level)
ILH D2 - (1 out of the 3 makes it to the tournament between Pac5, St. Francis, Damien

OIA Open Division (I'm assuming top 4 teams make it in)
OIA D1 (I'm assuming the next best 4 teams from the OIA make it?)
OIA D2 (Their top 2 teams from that level enters)

Outer Island will have 6 Teams entering.
D1 Bracket:
BIIF - 2 of their top teams
MIL - 1 team represents

D2 Bracket:
BIIF - 1 Team
MIL - 1 Team
KIF - 1 Team

This format might be great for the D2 bracket because there will be teams from outer islands that we normally don't see competing. The D1 bracket will basically be DON'T let Iolani win and as for the Open Division bracket, may the best team win with sellout crowds. Looking forward to this year's State Tournament! Idk why everyone is crying though about 2 ILH teams entering now, if you're the best team. Everything will work out because last I checked OIA is winning so far in D1 State Championships. ILH 7 - OIA 10

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

unpaid wrote:The HHSAA statement says that the top three ILH D-I teams will play for the two ILH Open Division state playoff spots.

If Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis stick to this it kinda does seem like the ILH is going to screw up the works because one of the Big Three isn't going to get into the Open Division tournament. So, whether it's Punahou,St.Louis ,or Kamehameha that loses in the first round of ILH D-I playoffs,what then. Does that school stay at home,refusing to play the other opening round loser to decide who gets into states in the D-I tourney?

If the season unfolds like I think it might ,then it will be interesting to see which one of the Big Three is the loser in their ILH playoff,then see if they stay home ,not playing in any state tournament just because they can'T make it into the Open Division tournament...
If I'm reading the Scoring Live article correctly, Iolani and Iolani alone will be the lone ILH representative in the D1 tourney. Kinda ridiculous that a team is 100% guaranteed a state tourney birth no matter what, but that's another discussion. St Louis, Punahou and Kam will compete for the two Open slots and the odd-team-out goes home for the season. Period.

It's not clear if it's the exact same deal with Iolani as far as competing in D1 only, but I would think it is. What if by some miracle they win the ILH and they are allowed to compete in the Open tourney -- again if I'm reading the article correctly -- then one other ILH D1 teams would make the Open tourney with them and the other two teams go home. Moving down to D1 would not be an option for any of the ILH's "Big 3", thus leaving an empty slot in the D1 tourney.
Last edited by bandits1 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote:

If Kamehameha,Punahou,and St.Louis stick to this it kinda does seem like the ILH is going to screw up the works because one of the Big Three isn't going to get into the Open Division tournament. So, whether it's Punahou,St.Louis ,or Kamehameha that loses in the first round of ILH D-I playoffs,what then. Does that school stay at home,refusing to play the other opening round loser to decide who gets into states in the D-I tourney?

If the season unfolds like I think it might ,then it will be interesting to see which one of the Big Three is the loser in their ILH playoff,then see if they stay home ,not playing in any state tournament just because they can'T make it into the Open Division tournament...
If I'm reading the Scoring Live article correctly, Iolani and Iolani alone will be the lone ILH representative in the D1 tourney. Kinda ridiculous that a team is 100% guaranteed a state tourney birth no matter what, but that's another discussion. St Louis, Punahou and Kam will compete for the two Open slots and the odd-team-out goes home for the season. Period.

It's not clear if it's the exact same deal with Iolani as far as competing in D1 only, but I would think it is. What if by some miracle they win the ILH and they are allowed to compete in the Open tourney -- again if I'm reading the article correctly -- then one other ILH D1 team would make the Open tourney with them and the other two teams go home. Moving down to D1 would not be an option for any of the ILH's "Big 3", thus leaving an empty slot in the D1 tourney.
Regardless, I don't think Iolani will dominate the D1 tournament as much as they dominated D2. Kapolei, Moanalua, and Kailua could all give them a challenge. My money is on Kapoei as I don't think they'll make the Open Division tournament (lackluster showings so far against the Big Boys).

ainoa808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ainoa808 »

The POSTSEASON tournament is a start as it addresses level of competition. But I think the bigger issue was REGULAR SEASON safety, which is still same oh same oh with nameless big team facing nameless little team and smashing them by 70+ points.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

gopunahou wrote:Regardless, I don't think Iolani will dominate the D1 tournament as much as they dominated D2. Kapolei, Moanalua, and Kailua could all give them a challenge. My money is on Kapoei as I don't think they'll make the Open Division tournament (lackluster showings so far against the Big Boys).
Still, it isn't right that a single team gets a free pass to the D1 tourney forever and ever -- but like I said, that's a separate conversation.

And the HHSAA/OIA still hasn't clarified if the public schools also have to "declare" which state tourney they're shooting for. My guess is Kapolei, if they have to, would choose the Open division, and if the rules are the same as I'm interpreting the ILH's to be, they either have to make the OIA semifinals or they're done for the season. No opting to go down to D1 and pick on those guys. That would defeat the purpose of having three tiers.