Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by gopunahou »

That's what I'm talking about! The key will be to capitalize on this!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If anyone is wondering about ILH tiebreakers, this article clarifies it: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... aker-rule/
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Punahou did what I thought would be the best way to beat Sf. Louis. They took away Tagovailoa's rushing yards. The Puns didn't stop there ..... the Punahou D reduced the Crusaders passing yardage by almost two-thirds. Punahou has left no doubt that they can adjust to an elite opponent's strength.Can St. Louis do the same and beat Punahou the next time?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Punahou did what I thought would be the best way to beat Sf. Louis. They took away Tagovailoa's rushing yards. The Puns didn't stop there ..... the Punahou D reduced the Crusaders passing yardage by almost two-thirds. Punahou has left no doubt that they can adjust to an elite opponent's strength.Can St. Louis do the same and beat Punahou the next time?
@unpaid: I'm really disappointed in St Louis' O, particularly their O-line. This was a 31-point decrease in St Louis' point-production since the first game between these teams. If Tagavailoa got a lot fewer rushing yards, I don't imagine it was his fault; I'm assuming it's the pass-protection (or lack thereof) of the O-line. I'm assuming that Tagovailoa wouldn't have had to try to scramble as much, if he had better pass-protection. Obviously, the same goes for the reduction in Tagovailoa's pass yards. What happened to the pass-blocking, St Louis O-line?

Question for anyone/everyone: Can Kahuku beat Punahou?

bigD
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by bigD »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
unpaid wrote:Punahou did what I thought would be the best way to beat Sf. Louis. They took away Tagovailoa's rushing yards. The Puns didn't stop there ..... the Punahou D reduced the Crusaders passing yardage by almost two-thirds. Punahou has left no doubt that they can adjust to an elite opponent's strength.Can St. Louis do the same and beat Punahou the next time?
@unpaid: I'm really disappointed in St Louis' O, particularly their O-line. This was a 31-point decrease in St Louis' point-production since the first game between these teams. If Tagavailoa got a lot fewer rushing yards, I don't imagine it was his fault; I'm assuming it's the pass-protection (or lack thereof) of the O-line. I'm assuming that Tagovailoa wouldn't have had to try to scramble as much, if he had better pass-protection. Obviously, the same goes for the reduction in Tagovailoa's pass yards. What happened to the pass-blocking, St Louis O-line?

I will say that punahou is a bigger threat to kahuku then St. Louis. Better offensive front and a better receiving core with a deadly accurate Qb. The defense is loaded!! Bunch of veterans hungry to win a championship.. I was expecting punahou to win the first round but they made the adjustments after the loss. Tua cannot win the game by himself and unfortunately they do not have another big threat on offense like they did last year. No big time receivers or a steady running game to help him out.

Source
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Source »

FYI Botelho from Kahuku leads OIA regular season in scoring with 93 total points, he's not even an offensive player.
Don't ever remember this ever happening before.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bigD wrote:

I will say that punahou is a bigger threat to kahuku then St. Louis. Better offensive front and a better receiving core with a deadly accurate Qb. The defense is loaded!! Bunch of veterans hungry to win a championship.. I was expecting punahou to win the first round but they made the adjustments after the loss. Tua cannot win the game by himself and unfortunately they do not have another big threat on offense like they did last year. No big time receivers or a steady running game to help him out.
@bigD:
1. Can Punahou contain Kahuku's run game? I noticed that all three of St Louis' TDs last night were scored on the ground.
2. As good as Punahou's O-line is, is Kahuku's D-line a match?
3. I think Punahou has the best receivers in the state. But, Kahuku's secondary is no slouch.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Source wrote:FYI Botelho from Kahuku leads OIA regular season in scoring with 93 total points, he's not even an offensive player.
@Source: What position does he play on D?

Source
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Source »

Source wrote:FYI Botelho from Kahuku leads OIA regular season in scoring with 93 total points, he's not even an offensive player.
@Source: What position does he play on D?
DB
Via Scorin Live / SCORING RS RC RT DF FG XP TOT
20 Stokes Nihipali-Botelho. 30. 12. 3. 48. 93

Source
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Source »

Returns 30, Defense 12, FG 3, XP 48

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Nine

1.Kahuku 7-1 Red Raiders back on top after Punahou beat St. Louis. Bye week next before OIA quarterfinals.
2.Punahou 5-1
3.St.Louis 5-1
4.Kapolei 7-1 Bye week next.
5.Waianae 6-2 First round OIA playoffs against Kailua next.
6.Hilo 5-1
7.Farrington 5-2 First round OIA playoff vs.Kaiser next.
8.Campbell 5-3 Bye week next.
9.Mililani 5-2 Bye week next.
10.Baldwin 5-2

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Different year, different teams. Puns definitely have a very talented squad. Thanks to coaches Reggie and Doug, Puns Oline play looks pretty solid. Receiving corps looks pretty amazing. A talented qb. D playing hungry.
The questions is, can the Puns live up to the hype against an opponent as physical as Kahuku? Everyone talks about how Waianae's and Kamehameha's front 7 are better than Kahuku's. imho, very debatable. But, when you play a team like Kahuku, the physicality extends to the back 4 as well. Will the Puns be able to run against Big Red? I highly doubt it. So, the question is, how will the Puns receiving corps adjust to playing a secondary like Big Red's?

Either way, if it works out the way most of us think it will, Kahuku will have to play 2 ILH teams to repeat.

Go Big Red!

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

It was great to see pun finally play some defense vs. stl. Like I said at the beginning of the season, experience will usually always win. Punahou is a veteran team, with more talent top to bottom than stl. Tua and Slade can't do it all, and stl isn't as talented as last years team. so, now the focus will be on the Pun v. kahuku match up in the state championship. Kahuku will blow through the OIA playoffs, they could get a slight challenge from Kapolei, but I think they should win that match up. Pun will probably play stl again, I think it'll be the same outcome. Kahuku v. Pun in the Open championship, but what teams will be playing in the D1 championship??

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:

Different year, different teams. Puns definitely have a very talented squad. Thanks to coaches Reggie and Doug, Puns Oline play looks pretty solid. Receiving corps looks pretty amazing. A talented qb. D playing hungry.
The questions is, can the Puns live up to the hype against an opponent as physical as Kahuku? Everyone talks about how Waianae's and Kamehameha's front 7 are better than Kahuku's. imho, very debatable. But, when you play a team like Kahuku, the physicality extends to the back 4 as well. Will the Puns be able to run against Big Red? I highly doubt it. So, the question is, how will the Puns receiving corps adjust to playing a secondary like Big Red's?

Either way, if it works out the way most of us think it will, Kahuku will have to play 2 ILH teams to repeat.

Go Big Red!
@rrforlifebaby:
1. Well, I still kind of suspect that Waianae's defensive front-seven is probably the best in the state, but: I'd place Kahuku's right behind. I think Kahuku's is almost as good as Waianae's. As for Kamehameha's defensive front-seven, they're definitely very good against the run. They also have a mean pass-rush (they sacked Iolani's QB 10 times this past Friday), but Kamehameha's secondary isn't good enough to hold-up their end of the field.
Waianae's secondary is better than Kamehameha's, but they're kind of short.
2. I think there's no question that Kahuku's secondary is the best in the state, which is a very good thing when you play a pass-oriented team like Punahou. The thing is, Kahuku's defensive front-seven need to be very physical, come at Punahou QB Kapule with their ears pinned-back, and light him up. They need to get penetration through Punahou's O-line and just mess-up Kapule. They need to be "hoss-STYLE and aj-JYLE"!

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Having seen all of these teams play, kahuku has the top defensive unit by far.....next team not even close, as a whole unit. Now when it comes to defensive fronts (DL and LBs), I think kam has the top front in the state. Very physical and can move, I like what coach abu is doing over there. close 2nd and 3rd D front would be Waianae and kahuku, and I mean really close. they are very good also. 4th would be punahou and 5th to me would be Campbell. this of course, is a very debatable subject. i believe these teams will be successful in the playoffs and state tourney because of this