Unpaid D-I Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Unpaid D-I Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
unpaid wrote:HS Football Fanatic,

Kahuku lost.That is why I dropped them.I think they will be Open Division Champs this year,just so you know.

Waianae has a chance against against Punahou. Unlike St.Louis,Waianae has 4-5 actual runningbacks who can put up 200 yard games collectively.. Waianae doesn't need it's QB to be the primary ball-carrier while simultaneously throw for 300 yards and a couple moe TD's.
@unpaid: What you say about Waianae is very encouraging. I agree that Waianae can run on Punahou. Kamehameha ran on them, and did so with only one RB, Kanoa Shannon. Also, Waianae has a very good defensive front-seven, with two good ends. I think those two DEs would be very useful against Punahou's pass game; they can light-up Punahou's QBs. And, I think Waianae can throw the ball if they have to. In their pre-season game against Kamehameha, they started throwing the ball in the second half, which freaked-out Kamehameha's D because they weren't expecting it. Waianae did get some yards and points from their pass game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Could someone please explain to me how it is that Iolani can score 24 pts against St Louis, and lose to them by only 18 pts, while Kamehameha scores only 3 pts against St Louis, and loses to them by 32 pts, and yet Kamehameha beats Iolani by 20 pts? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Did St Louis have an off game against Iolani? Iolani gets over 120 yards and 3 TDs off their run game? I mean, if Iolani can do that against St Louis, it's starting to look like Kahuku will be Open Div state champs. If St Louis can't take Kahuku down, I don't see how anyone can. As good as Tagovailoa is, it's starting to appear that St Louis will have trouble against Kahuku on both sides of the ball.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:Could someone please explain to me how it is that Iolani can score 24 pts against St Louis, and lose to them by only 18 pts, while Kamehameha scores only 3 pts against St Louis, and loses to them by 32 pts, and yet Kamehameha beats Iolani by 20 pts? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Did St Louis have an off game against Iolani? Iolani gets over 120 yards and 3 TDs off their run game? I mean, if Iolani can do that against St Louis, it's starting to look like Kahuku will be Open Div state champs. If St Louis can't take Kahuku down, I don't see how anyone can. As good as Tagovailoa is, it's starting to appear that St Louis will have trouble against Kahuku on both sides of the ball.
Exactly. I hope somebody taped the game so Punahou can watch it and do the same kind of things that Iolani did to frustrate St. Louis. Iolani also intercepted Tua.
Last edited by gopunahou on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Even worse, Kamehameha looks worse than Iolani as of now. It boggles the mind that they beat them by 30.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Those two booms you heard might have been the sound of Waianae and Mililani falling to Campbell and Kailua.Big changes already planned for the week eight rank. There could be more to come depending on the Kapolei-Farrington result.

About the ILH question... Note that Iolani ran the ball. In a passing league, that can be an edge if you have Punahou or St.Louis level players. If you are Iolani it means you can make things interesting but you will still lose most likely.

The challenge for Punahou is to find a ground game or be like Leilehua a few year's ago....get so good at passing that you don't need to run.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:Those two booms you heard might have been the sound of Waianae and Mililani falling to Campbell and Kailua.Big changes already planned for the week eight rank. There could be more to come depending on the Kapolei-Farrington result.

About the ILH question... Note that Iolani ran the ball. In a passing league, that can be an edge if you have Punahou or St.Louis level players. If you are Iolani it means you can make things interesting but you will still lose most likely.

The challenge for Punahou is to find a ground game or be like Leilehua a few year's ago....get so good at passing that you don't need to run.
Are you talking about the Manley teams that lacked a running game but relied on Manley's ability and talented WRs to win games?

Anyway, the reason we didn't run the ball too much against KSK was that there was no need. Their pass defense, as well as their offense, was so bad that it enabled us to score at will and keep them from wearing us down. Not to mention that KSK's defensive strength is stopping the run.

The problem with our offense when it plays teams with great offenses is that it gives teams a chance to stay on the field too long. That's what happened in the earlier matchup against St. Louis--we let their offense stay on the field too long and pick us apart.

Against STL and Kahuku, a passing offense that scores at will and does not take too much time off of the clock won't cut it, especially with STL's glaring weakness of a lackluster run defense. It'd be nice if Kaufusi, Nawahine, and even Kapule can do some damage against that. I think the reason we didn't go to Kaufusi and Nawahine the 1st time was that there was miscommunication between them and Kapule and that we didn't feel we needed them as much (because of our great passing game).

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I do mean the Manley team. What you don't have is a Lakalaka or Taulapapa this year. If there is a player like them on the Punahou squad he hasn't been identified yet by the coaching staff.

St. Louis is formidable,but very vulnerable. Tagovailoa is a 5* talent at QB. That's the good news for the Crusaders. The bad news is that he is also the leading rusher. Basically, when the QB is the best rusher and passer, the defense has one point on the field to try and disrupt immediately. I am sure Punahou coaches have figured something out for the next game against St. Louis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:Could someone please explain to me how it is that Iolani can score 24 pts against St Louis, and lose to them by only 18 pts, while Kamehameha scores only 3 pts against St Louis, and loses to them by 32 pts, and yet Kamehameha beats Iolani by 20 pts? I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Did St Louis have an off game against Iolani? Iolani gets over 120 yards and 3 TDs off their run game? I mean, if Iolani can do that against St Louis, it's starting to look like Kahuku will be Open Div state champs. If St Louis can't take Kahuku down, I don't see how anyone can. As good as Tagovailoa is, it's starting to appear that St Louis will have trouble against Kahuku on both sides of the ball.
Exactly. I hope somebody taped the game so Punahou can watch it and do the same kind of things that Iolani did to frustrate St. Louis. Iolani also intercepted Tua.
@gopunahou: It's too bad St Louis isn't a run-oriented team, because Punahou shut down Kamehameha's (supposedly) strong run game last night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:Even worse, Kamehameha looks worse than Iolani as of now. It boggles the mind that they beat them by 30.
@gopunahou: They did beat them by 30, right? In my post, I said 20, and later I was wondering if it was supposed to be 30. Yeah, the way Kamehameha is playing now, Iolani has a legit chance of beating them. Kamehameha's O-line needs to get it together. There's no excuse for how they run-blocked against Punahou last night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Those two booms you heard might have been the sound of Waianae and Mililani falling to Campbell and Kailua.Big changes already planned for the week eight rank. There could be more to come depending on the Kapolei-Farrington result.

@unpaid: Very few teams can pass well enough to make a run game unnecessary. When St Louis beat Punahou, that showed that Punahou isn't there yet.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:

Are you talking about the Manley teams that lacked a running game but relied on Manley's ability and talented WRs to win games?

Anyway, the reason we didn't run the ball too much against KSK was that there was no need. Their pass defense, as well as their offense, was so bad that it enabled us to score at will and keep them from wearing us down. Not to mention that KSK's defensive strength is stopping the run.

The problem with our offense when it plays teams with great offenses is that it gives teams a chance to stay on the field too long. That's what happened in the earlier matchup against St. Louis--we let their offense stay on the field too long and pick us apart.

Against STL and Kahuku, a passing offense that scores at will and does not take too much time off of the clock won't cut it, especially with STL's glaring weakness of a lackluster run defense. It'd be nice if Kaufusi, Nawahine, and even Kapule can do some damage against that. I think the reason we didn't go to Kaufusi and Nawahine the 1st time was that there was miscommunication between them and Kapule and that we didn't feel we needed them as much (because of our great passing game).
@gopunahou: Kamehameha can't stop anybody from throwing the ball; they couldn't even stop Iolani. So, you're right: Beating Kamehameha doesn't answer any questions. However, it seems that Kapule is like a 2nd-string Tagovailoa: He can pass and run, but can do neither quite as well as Tagovailoa. But, if Kapule can run the ball the way he did against Kamehameha, he might become Punahou's run game, too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:I do mean the Manley team. What you don't have is a Lakalaka or Taulapapa this year. If there is a player like them on the Punahou squad he hasn't been identified yet by the coaching staff.

St. Louis is formidable,but very vulnerable. Tagovailoa is a 5* talent at QB. That's the good news for the Crusaders. The bad news is that he is also the leading rusher. Basically, when the QB is the best rusher and passer, the defense has one point on the field to try and disrupt immediately. I am sure Punahou coaches have figured something out for the next game against St. Louis.
@unpaid: Punahou stopped Kamehameha's run game last night, but is that quite the same as stopping Tagovailoa's scrambling? I don't know. At the same time, it's quite certain that St Louis scouted last night's game, and may have also figured-out something themselves for the next Punahou game. So, if Punahou puts in a few new wrinkles, it's likely that St Louis will be prepared to do that, too.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eight,

1. St. Louis 5-0 No.3 Punahou next.
2. Kahuku 6-1
3. Punahou 4-1 See St.Louis.
4. Kapolei 6-1
5. Waianae 6-2
6. Hilo 4-1
7. Farrington 5-2
8. Campbell 4-3
9. Mililani 4-2
10.Baldwin 4-2 DNP

Kamehameha at 2-4 drops out of the top ten. 3-3 Kailua is looking to move back in.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

unpaid wrote:Week Eight,

1. St. Louis 5-0 No.3 Punahou next.
2. Kahuku 6-1
3. Punahou 4-1 See St.Louis.
4. Kapolei 6-1
5. Waianae 6-2
6. Hilo 4-1
7. Farrington 5-2
8. Campbell 4-3
9. Mililani 4-2
10.Baldwin 4-2 DNP

Kamehameha at 2-4 drops out of the top ten. 3-3 Kailua is looking to move back in.
So under your methodology, Hilo could end up in the top 5 and even the top 3? Why do you even put this together?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kinda doubt Hilo winds up in the the top three or even five this year.If they win the BIIF and get to D-I states ,the Vikings could get past the first round because they will not have to face the top two ILH teams or the top four OIA teams because those teams will
Now be in the Open Division.

To me, it would seem that the Open Divison qualifiers are going to be at the top of the final rank while a couple of the top D-I tourney teams will fill out the bottom of the top ten. Hilo has declared for D-I so they could finish in the bottom of the top ten but it is not likely that they would finish any higher than 6 even if they won the D-I state tournament this year.

Vikings are high right now ,but I doubt it lasts much longer.