ANZ Stadium

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ANZ Stadium

Post by J-Rod »

That is the site for which Hawaii will play California on August 26th. This will be the first game of the college football season and has no competition that day. This will be the first time in arguably 5+ years that Hawaii has the attention of all of college football.

I'm curious, does anyone know how ticket sales are going for this game? Some of the games played in foreign countries (Penn State, Navy, etc.) have had some ugly attendances. It would be quite the spectacle if that awesome-looking stadium is close to sold out for this game. Capacity is 83K.

BigWave96744

Re: ANZ Stadium

Post by BigWave96744 »

all the local Panda Travel packages are sold out effective Late May or early June

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

J-Rod wrote: This will be the first time in arguably 5+ years that Hawaii has the attention of all of college football...... It would be quite the spectacle if that awesome-looking stadium is close to sold out for this game. Capacity is 83K.
:o 83K stadium? Holy mackerel....we can't even fill up a 50k stadium, so what's an empty 83k stadium going to look like? :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

dopaco24
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dopaco24 »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
J-Rod wrote: This will be the first time in arguably 5+ years that Hawaii has the attention of all of college football...... It would be quite the spectacle if that awesome-looking stadium is close to sold out for this game. Capacity is 83K.
:o 83K stadium? Holy mackerel....we can't even fill up a 50k stadium, so what's an empty 83k stadium going to look like? :-
I read where the game was already 50% sold in January. I'm not too good at math, but I think that's over 40,000 seats sold as of January. I haven't seen any updated numbers since then.

As for the travel packages, all of Panda's packages were sold out within a week of the game announcement. They added several more, which also sold out. It appears that all the other local travel companies have sold out of their travel packages as well. Cal had a late start to this, only selling their official travel packages in early April. The last time I checked, they still had many available. I think there will be 2 Hawaii fans for every Cal fan, maybe more. In addition, I think the Australia fans will lean more towards UH, even though Cal is the designated home team. I could be wrong though.
"The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made." - Johnny Vaught

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

dopaco24 wrote:
I read where the game was already 50% sold in January. I'm not too good at math, but I think that's over 40,000 seats sold as of January. I haven't seen any updated numbers since then.

As for the travel packages, all of Panda's packages were sold out within a week of the game announcement. They added several more, which also sold out. It appears that all the other local travel companies have sold out of their travel packages as well. Cal had a late start to this, only selling their official travel packages in early April. The last time I checked, they still had many available. I think there will be 2 Hawaii fans for every Cal fan, maybe more. In addition, I think the Australia fans will lean more towards UH, even though Cal is the designated home team. I could be wrong though.
:o WOW.....that many people going on travel? :read: Impressive if that's the case, and maybe the camera can hide the open seats.. :lol: :roll:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

This game will be the FIRST time in almost 30 years U.S. college football has been played in Australia. The first two games were played in Melbourne.

The first time was in 1985 between the Texas-El Paso Miners and my team, the WYOMING COWBOYS!!!! Wyoming won 26-21, and both Head Coaches got the pink slip on the flight back to the States.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-12-08/ ... ng-victory

The second and last time was in 1987 between the Evil Empire, BYU, and Colorado State aka Fort Fart State. BYU won that contest, 30-26.

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-12-05/ ... 6315_1_wac
Last edited by wyokie on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Sorry Poke, I didn't understand your post and I deleted your original post.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote:Sorry Poke, I didn't understand your post and I deleted your original post.
Well...whoever said it was right..."two wrongs don't made a right." LOL
I just modified the goof to look like an original post.

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

I haven't seen any official numbers on how ticket sales are going here in Sydney but as a guess I'd say something between 55 and 60,000 could be expected. When tickets first went on sale there was excellent coverage and attention, a telecommunications company is a main sponsor of the event and venue and it sounded like they had a good deal going with early release tickets at good prices for users; a lot of people asked be about it who wouldn't normally go to something like this event.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

Hawkpeter wrote:I haven't seen any official numbers on how ticket sales are going here in Sydney but as a guess I'd say something between 55 and 60,000 could be expected. When tickets first went on sale there was excellent coverage and attention, a telecommunications company is a main sponsor of the event and venue and it sounded like they had a good deal going with early release tickets at good prices for users; a lot of people asked be about it who wouldn't normally go to something like this event.
do you think the aussies will pull for hawaii?

dopaco24

Post by dopaco24 »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/ti ... australia/

Here's an excerpt from the February 28th article:

"UH officials, who returned from a site survey trip to Sydney this week, said they have been told that more than 40,000 tickets have already been sold for the Sydney College Cup at ANZ Stadium. The 83,500-seat facility in Olympic Park was a site of the 2000 Olympic Games."
"The worst thing a coach can do is stand pat and think the things that worked yesterday will win tomorrow. Intelligent changes must be made." - Johnny Vaught

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

kalua pig wrote:
Hawkpeter wrote:I haven't seen any official numbers on how ticket sales are going here in Sydney but as a guess I'd say something between 55 and 60,000 could be expected. When tickets first went on sale there was excellent coverage and attention, a telecommunications company is a main sponsor of the event and venue and it sounded like they had a good deal going with early release tickets at good prices for users; a lot of people asked be about it who wouldn't normally go to something like this event.
Most definitely.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

Hawkpeter wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
Most definitely.
you already know cuz.

dopaco24

Post by dopaco24 »

According to this article, around 70,000 tickets have already been sold. This game could have close to 80k in attendance. Depending on Australian walk up habits, the game could even sell out.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic ... down-under

415hawaiiboy
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Let's give them a show.