MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Gifford granted deferred acceptance of plea

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: Gifford reinstated

Post by uhwarriors »

It's a start. But still not cleared for fall camp. I hope he keeps out of further trouble and can plea bargain to a deferred acceptance of a guilty plea.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

EF the police.

I'm sorry, I've seen the mini-me Mighty Cops too many times enforcing their superiority on everyone. If Gifford had been a nobody, they would have slinked away and done nothing. I've witnessed it too many times to be surprised. I once witnessed a cop get physically knocked down while trying to call for back-up for a misdemeanor shoplift. Later that evening, I saw the same perp executing a beer run at Longs Drugs. This clown wasn't newsworthy so the cops didn't bother with him. Put a newsworthy problem for your job on their radar...and...BOOM!!!...they've got a reportable offense.

While I don't find the actions of either player palatable, I'd say it's run-of-the-mill where the average Joe is concerned. And, the average Joe would not be facing criminal proceedings.

JMHO.

uhwarriors

Re: Gifford granted deferred acceptance of plea

Post by uhwarriors »

Got what he wanted. Now needs to stay out of trouble and get good grades in summer school.
District Court Judge Clarence Pacarro granted a deferral acceptance of the pleas. Pacarro said the case will be expunged and sealed if Gifford does not incur any legal trouble before Nov. 18.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sp ... t-charges/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

"Stay out of trouble" is the big thing here. Can't afford to screw up his life after receiving a second chance. Be smart. Make good decisions.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote:EF the police .....
EF ghetto people that are scrapping and screaming late at night when others are trying to sleep. Same goes for the drunks in the stadium. 911 is my friend. Police are my friends. I pay taxes for this service. And it is money well spent. Makes me feel good about my community when disrespectful law-breaking people are removed and taken away.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote:
SundayJam wrote:EF the police .....
EF ghetto people that are scrapping and screaming late at night when others are trying to sleep. Same goes for the drunks in the stadium. 911 is my friend. Police are my friends. I pay taxes for this service. And it is money well spent. Makes me feel good about my community when disrespectful law-breaking people are removed and taken away.
I'm sorry you live in a ghetto and that the removal of people makes you feel good.

I've never had to call a cop in my life. I've had dealings with them, but they were never effective. It seemed they only generated a lot of paperwork. I consider them a necessary evil, but I know there are some good ones out there.

Obviously the acts of Gifford were not 'uppity' enough to warrant serious legal action. Whatever he did was just uppity enough to get his name in the paper.

Have a nice day.
:tshirt:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote:
I'm sorry you live in a ghetto and that the removal of people makes you feel good.
You are the one that proclaimed "EF cops". That sounds pretty ghetto to me. Life is far more complex than that. I do feel good when laws are enforced so people can live in peace. Not just my neighborhood. But I care about people in other neighborhoods. And particularly elderly people and kids. The roads are not racetracks. Streets and schools are not MMA fight centers. Somebody got to take care of the BS. Those are the cops. Whether they are all doing their job is something else. But calling them all the bad guys is worse than stupid.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote:
SundayJam wrote:
You are the one that proclaimed "EF cops". That sounds pretty ghetto to me. Life is far more complex than that. I do feel good when laws are enforced so people can live in peace. Not just my neighborhood. But I care about people in other neighborhoods. And particularly elderly people and kids. The roads are not racetracks. Streets and schools are not MMA fight centers. Somebody got to take care of the BS. Those are the cops. Whether they are all doing their job is something else. But calling them all the bad guys is worse than stupid.
You've got to view the comment in context. The police are a necessary evil. Breaking down someone's door in the early hours of the morning because a tumultuous relationship bothered the neighbors...after the fact...is hardly advisable. Was the significant other truly in peril? I doubt it...as the brute appeared to be sleeping naked in bed. Did the other brute rudely interrupt the many armed officials of state from keeping the peace? I highly doubt that also. Cops don't normally break down the doors of those domestic combatants who've ceased to combat.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:
SundayJam wrote:
You've got to view the comment in context. The police are a necessary evil. Breaking down someone's door in the early hours of the morning because a tumultuous relationship bothered the neighbors...after the fact...is hardly advisable. Was the significant other truly in peril? I doubt it...as the brute appeared to be sleeping naked in bed. Did the other brute rudely interrupt the many armed officials of state from keeping the peace? I highly doubt that also. Cops don't normally break down the doors of those domestic combatants who've ceased to combat.
I'm wondering if there is more to the story than just the disturbance. He had charges from an incident in Feb and March with the March one being a felony. Was the a warrant out for his arrest? If so, their actions were probably justified.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

That's all it is a story. Too many sides to a story. The fact is one guy got go back to working out with the team. Still need to find out if he makes it back on the team.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think it would be wise to keep in mind what has happened recently at Baylor. There is going to be an increasing scrutiny on crimes and antisocial behavior being committed by NCAA student-athletes and increasing scrutiny on whether or not the university athletic administration has allowed a continuing pattern of such incidents to continue over a decade or more. I think one of the UH players under scrutiny is not coming back for sure. The other one may just scrape by,but that will be it....he still might wind up having to go somewhere else to get a second chance.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

unpaid wrote:I think it would be wise to keep in mind what has happened recently at Baylor. There is going to be an increasing scrutiny on crimes and antisocial behavior being committed by NCAA student-athletes and increasing scrutiny on whether or not the university athletic administration has allowed a continuing pattern of such incidents to continue over a decade or more. I think one of the UH players under scrutiny is not coming back for sure. The other one may just scrape by,but that will be it....he still might wind up having to go somewhere else to get a second chance.
Comparing Baylor's callous, criminal mishandling of its players' malicious depravity to Kennedy's domestic dispute makes no sense. Nothing that I've read about his incident is shocking in any sense. It's a normal, run-of-the mill anger management issue that this kid needs to deal with. If it had been anyone else that wasn't newsworthy, the case would not have been made. On the other hand, the Baylor case is downright despicable.
DallasMorningNews wrote:Last updated at 1:20 p.m., June 1, 2016

At least three Baylor football players (along with a fraternity president) have been charged with sexual assault since 2014, casting a harsh light on the world’s largest Baptist university.

Baylor President Ken Starr and football coach Art Briles drew criticism over the handling of sexual assault complaints, with rape victims and others saying the school ignored repeated warnings that star athletes were sexual predators.
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04 ... gram.html/
mauiNews wrote:HONOLULU (AP) - A suspended University of Hawaii football player is expected to plead no contest to charges stemming from two separate incidents.

Kennedy Tulimasealii is accused of damaging a navigation system on April 1 in a vehicle owned by the father of his ex-girlfriend, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser has reported. Tulimasealii waived a preliminary hearing in the case and has a June 9 court date.

Tulimasealii, a defensive lineman, is expected in court June 26 on charges of assault, resisting arrest and harassment in an April 12 confrontation with authorities that was related to a dispute with his former girlfriend. He was originally arrested on suspicion of abuse of a family or household member.

Tulimasealii's lawyer, Michael Green, said Thursday he will ask that the cases be heard June 26 to try to "work out a disposition that is satisfactory to everyone so we can get him back on course with his life."

Green said his client plans to plead no contest and ask for a deferral if the judge agrees to his request.

Deputy Prosecutor Moanikeala Crowell said the state is prepared to proceed in the case.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.de ... l?nav=5003

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It would make sense for UH admins and coaches to clamp down on bad behavior. Yeah,what happened at Baylor, and the lawsuit against Tennessee athletics is on a worse level than what has happened with some UH athletes. I'm not comparing UH to either of those schools.

I am saying that there is going to be increasing attention from the NCAA on bad behavior.DUI and domestic violence seem to be recurring themes at UH...domestic violence issues in the pros are already beginning to end or shorten the careers of some NFL players..so if Kennedy got in trouble and Kahumoku got in trouble over domestic violence issues...maybe there should be some preventive counseling being provided around this issue and DUI also at Manoa.

Personally,I don't really care about Baylor or Tennessee,but most schools that wind up in trouble are like UH,it's
smaller stuff but still enough to get police or NCAA investigators on your case.

Lesser crimes Don"t equal lesser penalties necessarily. I am among those who think UH basketball may have gotten a harsher penalty than it deserved....and that situation did not involve rape or domestic violence.