An ILH-OIA merger

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: An ILH-OIA merger

Post by rednblue »

Markeke wrote:That 1/2 page proposal typed up by the ILH cheerleaders was pathetic. No consideration for the other atheletes competing in both male and female sports. A proposal with the underlying message, WE WANT 3 ILH FOOTBALL TEAMS IN THE STATE FINALS!! If the 2 year sit rule was in effect years ago, greats like Manti Teo would not go to Notre Dame and not be in the NFL. I see money here trying to influence high school football. Who do you think has the money? ILH or OIA.
I believe this proposal is Football only.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

oahu prep bowl all over again, neigbor island got the shaft
-------------------

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

rednblue wrote:
Markeke wrote:
Yes,understandable, but why should football players be subject to a two year sit rule, and baseball or basketball, or any other ILH sport be allowed to play immediately? Fair? Any Hawaii lawyer would jump on it if asked by a football player. For What? Three tickets to the big dance?
This proposal 3 tier system basically would put 5 out of the six ILH teams in the post season dance with.more OIA and Outer islands sitting out.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Markeke wrote:
rednblue wrote:
Markeke wrote:
Yes,understandable, but why should football players be subject to a two year sit rule, and baseball or basketball, or any other ILH sport be allowed to play immediately? Fair? Any Hawaii lawyer would jump on it if asked by a football player. For What? Three tickets to the big dance?
This proposal 3 tier system basically would put 5 out of the six ILH teams in the post season dance with.more OIA and Outer islands sitting out.
I agree with you "Markeke" as far as the transfer rule goes, it should apply to all sports. A transfer rule should not be tied to a specific sport, and for sure would not stand up to legal challenges.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

As far as transfer rules are concerned, 2 years is ridiculous. For college football it's one year (redshirt if available) and certain circumstances allow for no sit out. 2 years is an immediate deal breaker to me.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

rednblue wrote:As far as transfer rules are concerned, 2 years is ridiculous. For college football it's one year (redshirt if available) and certain circumstances allow for no sit out. 2 years is an immediate deal breaker to me.
True dat. It's not an ILH or OIA thing. All these high school football players who work their butt off with maintaining grades,conditioning and overall integrity should never be asked to sit out 2 seasons, private or public school. Just my opinion.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I don't have too many problems with the 2 year sit rule. It doesn't really affect the ILH 'cause they recruit the youth leagues anyway. Doesn't hurt Kahuku, because well, it's Kahuku. It Will affect schools like Mililani, Kapolei and Campbell, where kids jump around like a "Mexican" bean. imho.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Taken from another thread:
gridiron22 wrote:Give what a chance? nothing is broke and nothing needs to be fixed. The OIA has their own re-alignment solutions and that is the BLUE/Red division.

The only thing that is broke is the ILH not winning state titles and they want to make excuses as to why things need to change when in fact it all comes down to their pride and money.

This super conference will boost sales at the gates it will boost advertising dollars. The OIA will have to split the profits with all 200 of their schools, the ILH will split profits among 4 of them. Making them richer and in a better position to offer more elite athletes scholarships to join their schools and eventually accomplishing their goal of dominating championships again. The rich get richer and poor will get poorer.

Yes the OIA will get money too but after funnelling it out to 200 schools for fans and air conditioners the athletic departments will have enough left to buy gatorade for three games. While the ILH puts 80% of their profits back into their athletic program to get stronger and stronger.

THE ILH IS USING THE OIA
If you think the ILH's football setup ain't broke, you must REALLY hate private schools on Oahu. I know that most of you think that the ILH's small number of football teams is driving this, and I agree with some of that, but you can't deny that having three/four teams in each division is a problem. To let the ILH continue to have this problem is plain ole bitterness. And can you say there are losers in all of this? Maybe the kids because of the transfer rule, but that's it.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Get rid of the two-year transfer rule. Just have all schools go into a recruiting frenzy. Survival of the fittest in the open division. For those who can't there's the lower divisions. Many other states do this especially Cali. Great Teams make improved players & coaches. I think this kind of competition gives us more recognition nationally.

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

It's been a long time coming !if you think it's fair that 8 and 2 kamehameha or a 7&3 STL team should be sitting out of the states while a 5&5 farrington team should qualifie then you all crazy! When it's all said and done it's going to be a final 4 of ksk , STL, buffnblue& Kahuku most years . OIA coaching will be a lot better in the next few years cause now they have to prepare and watch film of the big 3 and not just figure out how am I going to beat Kahuku !

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

DA SCOUT wrote:It's been a long time coming !if you think it's fair that 8 and 2 kamehameha or a 7&3 STL team should be sitting out of the states while a 5&5 farrington team should qualifie then you all crazy! When it's all said and done it's going to be a final 4 of ksk , STL, buffnblue& Kahuku most years . OIA coaching will be a lot better in the next few years cause now they have to prepare and watch film of the big 3 and not just figure out how am I going to beat Kahuku !
When you look at the numbers, how many TOTAL high school football teams in the State? How many play at what is considered a so called "D-1" level vs. "D-2"?

The HHSAA could do a a TRUE State tournament, I'm guessing without crunching numbers, by simply taking ALL D-1 teams, seeding and bracketing however many there are (16? 24? 32?) and just allowing for enough playing nights to finish a tourney.

It may mean more abbreviated pre and "regular" seasons, but a TRUE State Champion in each "division" could be determined by bracketed, league affiliation irrelevant (neva' mind), play.

ALL D-1 teams in the state bracketed in a State Champ Tourney.

Seems like there's ACTUALLY about 16 TRUE D-1 level teams Statewide. So, 4 playing nights to determine a State Champ in Tourney format. Maybe need another 1 or two playing nights.

The only hold up to playing things that way is the OIA chicken manure stranglehold over preventing head to head competition and padding their entrants into a 6 team State tourney.

The OIA, unfortunately, would politicize this and prevent such a system from being used to figure out which team was the best based on TRUE comprehensive competition, based on cries of "unfairness", or "recruiting"

Ironically, that argument intrinsically kind of establishes in a more general sense which schools are considered "better", doesn't it.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Isn't today the day for the initial approval?

If the thing doesn't get approved, the businessmen putting up the $3 million should consider just forming a high school super league that they "own", and seeing if they can make a go of it.

The OIA and the DOE would probably throw up road blocks of some sort, involving penalties. Maybe institute some sort of public scorn and humiliation activities for students who attend super league schools, or trying to have the parents of the school's players deported or something of that nature (finding a way to invalidate kids' great-great-great grandparents' immigration to the US).

Maybe one approach might be for kids to "play" for private club teams defined by their school enrollment??? Like the local soccer system???

Even then, though, the OIA and DOE might try to do something like having child welfare services investigate the parents of players.

To me, if the OIA is going to lay such heavy claim to children, they should at least have to produce valid ownership papers.

warrior_heart87
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Too much to pass on

Post by warrior_heart87 »

Bottomline pretty much every other conference in the nation has it set up in ways similar to this...regardless of private/public...as an ilh alumni i agree facilities, support, money, etc wise...its not a comparison...but look at a lot of public schools now days stepping it up and you can see a slow rise in performance and in many cases standing toe to toe or beating the ilh as we seen this past year. I think it works out for the oia with the money being offered and the ilh offering a higher class of competition. I mean this is my opinion but i for one would love to see games between the likes of waianae and kamehameha or st.louis and kahuku weekly, instead of waiting til the states every year! A lot more fan turn out...more attention to the programs and higher quality games!

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

If a two year sit out rule gets implemented, would someone who knows how to edit a Wikipedia page please add the information about the rule to this page (I don't know how to do it): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive_slave_laws

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

first they complain kahuk get easy road in oia east so change blue red division now thay complain oia to easy, i swear this is set to stop kauku
ilh big 3 will roll thru all oia teams but no one will complain cause the whole state is against kahu and will be happy to make harder for big red in hope to see a town team win championship

everytime u try to kick kahuku u kick us up the stairs not down the stairs
-------------------