An ILH-OIA merger

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

An ILH-OIA merger

Post by gopunahou »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/pr ... l-leagues/

I'll believe it when I see it. If it's true, that must mean the OIA is no longer playing the victim.

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ssibility/
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: An ILH-OIA merger

Post by gridiron22 »

There should be no super conference combining ILH and OIA, The ILH has the unfair advantage of recruiting the elite popwarner kids state wide to supply their varsity program and being competitive every year. The ILH big 3 would smoke everyone in the OIA except Kahuku. Its not even a level or fair playing field.

Leilehua won a state title once and thats about all they will get. Mililani was D1 champs last year only because they recruited, can Mililani recruit every year in order to stay competitive?

Kahuku is the only OIA team that can keep up with the ILH consistently. What happened in 2010 when Kahuku was about to whoop Mariota and the Crusaders in the Championship game? Kahuku got DQ'd and Waianae went in and got blasted. No OIA team can keep up with the ILH and that is why there needs to be a seperation. The haves and the Have nots.

Kahuku winning multiple titles is the only reason the ILH feels there should be a super league. St.Louis losing again this past year really must have set the brotherhood off. Bad enough they want to buy all the elite talent from around the state, now they want to buy the whole conference.

Im sure the Brotherhood are now crying that Kahuku has a cake walk during the regular season leading up to the state tournament, where as the ILH is all beaten up from playing eachother two or even three times. Well last year Kahuku was the most banged up and injured team during the playoffs and in the title game.

Whats wrong with owning every other sport on the island? ILH need to own football too?

I AGREE WITH ANYONE ELSE WHO SAYS THE ILH ARE A BUNCH OF RICH CRYBABYS

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

gridiron22 wrote:There should be no super conference combining ILH and OIA, The ILH has the unfair advantage of recruiting the elite popwarner kids state wide to supply their varsity program and being competitive every year. The ILH big 3 would smoke everyone in the OIA except Kahuku. Its not even a level or fair playing field.

Leilehua won a state title once and thats about all they will get. Mililani was D1 champs last year only because they recruited, can Mililani recruit every year in order to stay competitive?

Kahuku is the only OIA team that can keep up with the ILH consistently. What happened in 2010 when Kahuku was about to whoop Mariota and the Crusaders in the Championship game? Kahuku got DQ'd and Waianae went in and got blasted. No OIA team can keep up with the ILH and that is why there needs to be a seperation. The haves and the Have nots.

Kahuku winning multiple titles is the only reason the ILH feels there should be a super league. St.Louis losing again this past year really must have set the brotherhood off. Bad enough they want to buy all the elite talent from around the state, now they want to buy the whole conference.

Im sure the Brotherhood are now crying that Kahuku has a cake walk during the regular season leading up to the state tournament, where as the ILH is all beaten up from playing eachother two or even three times. Well last year Kahuku was the most banged up and injured team during the playoffs and in the title game.

Whats wrong with owning every other sport on the island? ILH need to own football too?

I AGREE WITH ANYONE ELSE WHO SAYS THE ILH ARE A BUNCH OF RICH CRYBABYS
"The ILH ARE A BUNCH OF RICH CRYBABYS--that's the pot calling the kettle black. Nobody cries more than the OIA.

"We lack the resources to compete with the private schools."

"We too broke."

"We no get rich kids like Punahou."

"We no can send kids to college and graduate successful kids the way private schools can."

"We get shatty facilities and nobody to donate money to help us improve them."

Give me a break and stop with the hypocrisy.

If Kahuku can do it, why can't other OIA schools? That should be their motto. "If Kahuku can do it, why can't we?"

This plan may or may not work, but we won't know unless we give it a try. I say kefe those who are against the proposal. And may I add "give it a chance"?

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

HaterOfElitists wrote:

If Kahuku can do it, why can't other OIA schools? That should be their motto. "If Kahuku can do it, why can't we?"
Ask Farringtons coach Randall Okimoto why he will never win a state title, he will tell you because the ILH is raiding his players. Why would Randall Okimoto want to play against the private schools who are holding him down in the first place. You saw how vocal he got when Mililani started recruiting his players.

We dont need ONE super conference, what is the winner of that conference going to do at the end of the season? Play the winner of the D2 super conference?

The whole reason why the state tournament is so great is because most of the teams havent played each other during the season and seeing them battle for the first time in an elimination format is very suspenseful. If the ILH had more D1 titles then Kahuku then this idea of a super conference would not exist, its all because the ILh are sour losers and cant handle the fact that an OIA school is dominating them in football.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

gridiron22 wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote:

Ask Farringtons coach Randall Okimoto why he will never win a state title, he will tell you because the ILH is raiding his players. Why would Randall Okimoto want to play against the private schools who are holding him down in the first place. You saw how vocal he got when Mililani started recruiting his players.

We dont need ONE super conference, what is the winner of that conference going to do at the end of the season? Play the winner of the D2 super conference?

The whole reason why the state tournament is so great is because most of the teams havent played each other during the season and seeing them battle for the first time in an elimination format is very suspenseful. If the ILH had more D1 titles then Kahuku then this idea of a super conference would not exist, its all because the ILh are sour losers and cant handle the fact that an OIA school is dominating them in football.
Are you 88 from hawaiiprepworld? Regardless, it would do you a lot of good to stop blaming public schools in Hawaii for everything that's going wrong in your life. The OIA fanboys who do blame the ILH for everything that's crap in their life, ranging from their girlfriends dumping them or milk spilling on them, give the WHOLE LEAGUE a bad name and make y'all look like a bunch of crybabies. Funny, you OIA fanboys call us crybabies when you are doing exactly that. If that ain't hypocrisy I don't know what is!

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Just my opinion: I like the merger proposal. It will be epic battles every single week. The top six go into the playoffs. Great for both leagues. If you want to be the best, then you have to beat the best. The 2 year transfer rule only applies for players going from OIA to ILH, not the other way around. That is good, no need punish a kid because they can no longer afford private school tuition. Let them come home to their public school where they reside without a penalty. If the state final is between 2 ILH, or 2 OIA, so be it, as they will have proven to be the best 2 schools based on a regular season and playoff. Imagine a double header ever Friday at the Stadium with a Kahuku-Punahou or Mililani-St Louis or Farrington-Kamehameha game or Waianae-Kapolei game. Please make this merger happen.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I would like to see the merger happen. My guess is that Hilo,Kealakehe,Baldwin,and Maui will not want to be left out.If Waiakea and Keaau buy in then you are looking at 16 teams. Even if the max amount of Neighbor Island teams max out at four you would be looking at 14 teams. This would be ideal for two 7 team divisions. The state playoffs would be between 2 divisions. I find that to be much more acceptable than a single 10 team division that basically would be a throwback to the old Turkey Bowl days where the top four ILH teams played each other ,and the top four OIA teams played each other,instead of having what would have been a more interesting matchup of the top 4 ILH teams playing the top 4 OIA teams. If there is only 1 ten team division I can see the complaint already. It would be something along the lines of say, 2019 ,Punahou finishes NO.1 and Kamehameha finishes No.2.The same 10 teams go through a playoff and Kamehameha wins. Kinda bummer for Punahou,right,even though they won the regular season.Thats the beauty of having four islands with D-I teams...there could still be two divisions and thematchups would have to be against teams that had not already decided a division championship against each other.

That two year sit-out rule might be a deal-breaker.It would just be better to look at what has happened in the most highly debated transfer for sports area in the country which is Southern California. They got tired of the paperwork. You can transfer in the middle of a season if you want to now. You can try to reinvent the wheel, but people are free to go where they want in America,and kids are going to transfer if they want to. Stop worrying about whether a student is a transfer...just worry about whether the school the transfer kid is at is providing a solid education that enables the student to make it in life.

Trust me, there are plenty of lawyers in Hawaii who will get a two-year sit out rule done away with.It is just too mean-spirited.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

As far as D1 goes, I don't think that's the place for Damien to play. Haven't their numbers gone down since the inclusion of girls? If so, playing teams like Anuenue and Kalani suits them better.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:I would like to see the merger happen. My guess is that Hilo,Kealakehe,Baldwin,and Maui will not want to be left out.If Waiakea and Keaau buy in then you are looking at 16 teams. Even if the max amount of Neighbor Island teams max out at four you would be looking at 14 teams. This would be ideal for two 7 team divisions. The state playoffs would be between 2 divisions. I find that to be much more acceptable than a single 10 team division that basically would be a throwback to the old Turkey Bowl days where the top four ILH teams played each other ,and the top four OIA teams played each other,instead of having what would have been a more interesting matchup of the top 4 ILH teams playing the top 4 OIA teams. If there is only 1 ten team division I can see the complaint already. It would be something along the lines of say, 2019 ,Punahou finishes NO.1 and Kamehameha finishes No.2.The same 10 teams go through a playoff and Kamehameha wins. Kinda bummer for Punahou,right,even though they won the regular season.Thats the beauty of having four islands with D-I teams...there could still be two divisions and thematchups would have to be against teams that had not already decided a division championship against each other.

That two year sit-out rule might be a deal-breaker.It would just be better to look at what has happened in the most highly debated transfer for sports area in the country which is Southern California. They got tired of the paperwork. You can transfer in the middle of a season if you want to now. You can try to reinvent the wheel, but people are free to go where they want in America,and kids are going to transfer if they want to. Stop worrying about whether a student is a transfer...just worry about whether the school the transfer kid is at is providing a solid education that enables the student to make it in life.

Trust me, there are plenty of lawyers in Hawaii who will get a two-year sit out rule done away with.It is just too mean-spirited.
Unpaid - I would think Hilo, Baldwin, and Maui would try to compete at the highest level, while Waiakea and Keaau should be playing DII at best. I agree I would like to see this take place as well, it would give the outer Islands options based on strength of the team as the season progresses. My only personal issue would be reading comments, and I know it will happen, about how the ONLY REAL DIVISION is OPEN. Every division has its importance to the teams that compete and I hate reading how irrelevant the other divisions are. As for the transfer rule, I would say keep it how it is now.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

Given the current circumstances, this proposal for "regular season play" makes sense from a competitive standpoint as well as a safety standpoint (as there will be less blowouts and injuries).
Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume that the State tournament will still consist of the same 2 divisions:
DIV I- 12 team format (6 from the OIA-ILH merger and 4 from Oahu DIV 1 conference, 1 from ML and 1 from BIF)
DIV II - Same format as current

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

What keeps OIA teams in the OIA? For that matter, what keeps ILH teams in the ILH

Relative to the OIA teams, is there a "law" that says they GOTTA be in the OIA and compete only based upon the approval of ALL or a majority of OIA members?

At this point, with sports being as big and overbearing a presence as it is in this State, is there something PROHIBITING say, 5 select current OIA schools and 5 select ILH schools from bolting their respective leagues, and forming some sort of Super Conference? For all their school's sports. Even against the wishes of the OIA, ILH and even HHSAA?

I don't know what the thinking is behind the money ($3 million) being dangled in front of decision makers to do this latest super league idea (but it seems like it's being put up in order to see the Top league created, and nothing more). But, what if that $3 million was just committed to select members of the OIA and ILH in a 10 team league? $100K per year each over 3 years?

What could stop that from happening? I would think there would also be money to be split from OC16 type broadcast rights, promotional considerations, merchandizing, etc.

It's basically what the college conferences do as individual conferences, and P5 schools.

Seems like if a public school COULD get the benefits from such an arrangement, then it should be able to.

Then the good programs, or those that tend to be good, could free themselves from the ball and chain type actions of the OIA.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

twnoexcuses wrote:What keeps OIA teams in the OIA? For that matter, what keeps ILH teams in the ILH
free themselves from the ball and chain type actions of the OIA.
best way to free is become club and no accociate with oia or ilh
like kahuku rugby team is private club and no put up with bs from ad or principle
australia and nz have profesional sport clubs and no do the college ncaa leagues bs
-------------------

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

That 1/2 page proposal typed up by the ILH cheerleaders was pathetic. No consideration for the other atheletes competing in both male and female sports. A proposal with the underlying message, WE WANT 3 ILH FOOTBALL TEAMS IN THE STATE FINALS!! If the 2 year sit rule was in effect years ago, greats like Manti Teo would not go to Notre Dame and not be in the NFL. I see money here trying to influence high school football. Who do you think has the money? ILH or OIA.

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

Markeke wrote:That 1/2 page proposal typed up by the ILH cheerleaders was pathetic. No consideration for the other atheletes competing in both male and female sports. A proposal with the underlying message, WE WANT 3 ILH FOOTBALL TEAMS IN THE STATE FINALS!! If the 2 year sit rule was in effect years ago, greats like Manti Teo would not go to Notre Dame and not be in the NFL. I see money here trying to influence high school football. Who do you think has the money? ILH or OIA.
Exactly. I feel that fans are so thrilled with the thought of watching the 10 best teams in the state playing week in and week out that they're missing the hidden agenda in all of this. Not only 3 ILH teams in states, but also finding a home for Iolani. Oh and don't forget, solving the ILH's schedule issue with the lack of teams in each division.

The only benefit of the proposal is teams like Baldwin, Hilo, OIA teams (like Campbell, Kaiser, etc) don't have to see top powers.