2016 QB Depth Chart

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
amela
High-quality H20 provider

Re: NorCal QB Ikaika Seeking to transfer

Post by amela »

J-Rod wrote:I can understand both arguments. The transfer route has brought a ton of losing and inconsistency, but the QB depth is one of the worst in the MW right now. Reality is: there is no quick fix. It will take several years of recruiting and development for Rolo to get the QB position to where he wants it to be. Just hope Ikaika can handle the load in 2016, he is a heavy favorite based purely on experience.
Agree that the other QB don't have experience but what about some of the freshmen that started against UH and killed us? Good coaching, better OL?

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

amela wrote: Agree that the other QB don't have experience but what about some of the freshmen that started against UH and killed us? Good coaching, better OL?
...that and Brett Rypien was a consensus 4-Star QB, ranked in the Top 10 in what was regarded as the deepest HS QB class ever. If Hawaii lands a QB of that caliber (like Tua), they would undoubtedly play the kid.

I think Rolo surprises us with what he gets out of Ikaika in 2016, and then in 2017 is where things get interesting. It's scary enough that I find myself wondering if Rolo will hint to Tua that if he comes here he'll be the guy on day one. Hawaii offered a ton of highly-rated QBs this week for the class of 2017...have to think the pitch is playing time in 2017.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

After seeing the writeup on the 2 walkon QBs, now you see why I wouldn't have minded Malik to consider Hawaii?
1 walkon QB graduated in 2008 and was a backup at Waianae. The other QB first got cut in 2014 & 2015.

Dang, talk about lack of depth in the QB department.
No one besides Woolsey has completed a game day pass in over 4 years. Scary!!!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

For a QB, 1 year is too short.. BUT if he's willing to simply throw the ball around, he's more than welcome to walk on. Can always use another arm to tune up the receivers. Then, if he wants to coach, apply for a grad assistant position the following year. Although, I think our current GAs are all new and have two years available to them.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote:After seeing the writeup on the 2 walkon QBs, now you see why I wouldn't have minded Malik to consider Hawaii?
1 walkon QB graduated in 2008 and was a backup at Waianae. The other QB first got cut in 2014 & 2015.

Dang, talk about lack of depth in the QB department.
No one besides Woolsey has completed a game day pass in over 4 years. Scary!!!
Thing is that if Malik is Ikaika's backup, no other QB may get game snaps. Then when they both grad after this season, none of the backups will have any game experience. As it is now, one f the backups that will return should get some snaps.
ImageImage

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Eh, we still got that Cole McDonald kid... and possibly another late addition, I hear. We did okay in 2008 when we lost our starting QB and Inoki Funaki took over. It depends a lot on the QB, sure, but also on the play calling, coaching, and team as a whole.

amela

Post by amela »

J-Rod wrote:
amela wrote: Agree that the other QB don't have experience but what about some of the freshmen that started against UH and killed us? Good coaching, better OL?
...that and Brett Rypien was a consensus 4-Star QB, ranked in the Top 10 in what was regarded as the deepest HS QB class ever. If Hawaii lands a QB of that caliber (like Tua), they would undoubtedly play the kid.

I think Rolo surprises us with what he gets out of Ikaika in 2016, and then in 2017 is where things get interesting. It's scary enough that I find myself wondering if Rolo will hint to Tua that if he comes here he'll be the guy on day one. Hawaii offered a ton of highly-rated QBs this week for the class of 2017...have to think the pitch is playing time in 2017.
I don't think Rolo is the type of coach to tell a recruit that he will start if he signs. Coaches who do that are misleading the kid and being unfair to who is on the team. To me a player needs to prove that he is the one.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I don't care about the current QBs. I want Tua for 4 years. :lol: If that opportunity came about, Rolo would be nuts to turn it away in favor of catering to our currently average QB corps. Hell, it might not even be average.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

J-Rod wrote:I can understand both arguments. The transfer route has brought a ton of losing and inconsistency, but the QB depth is one of the worst in the MW right now. Reality is: there is no quick fix. It will take several years of recruiting and development for Rolo to get the QB position to where he wants it to be. Just hope Ikaika can handle the load in 2016, he is a heavy favorite based purely on experience.
No depth chart at QB for UH
By Stephen Tsai
Posted on April 10, 2016 1:30 am
On an SPF-50 football Saturday in Manoa, the University of Hawaii quarterback competition continued in a dead heat
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/no ... qb-for-uh/

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Thoughts?

He will graduate and is free to transfer anywhere.
https://twitter.com/si_ncaafb/status/719914487852228612

KanakaMaoli96792
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 QB Depth Chart

Post by KanakaMaoli96792 »

I think our QBʻs situation is solid. I have full confidence in Coach ROLO and STUTZ
They will work magic this year with whatever QB they decide to use. Run and shoot concepts is a system designed for QBʻs to flourish.
They are throwing into a space not directly at the receiver its the receivers responsibility to get to the space and make a play.
SPREAD AND SHREAD!!!!! I honestly believe that we will beat CAL in Australia and upset Michigan.
When conference play comes, no one will stop us because no one in the Mountain west runs this type of offense

I predict we will put up 30+ points every game.
itʻll be like June jones days but on Roids!!!

#DefendPrideRock #PlayWarrior #Loyal2dasoil

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

KanakaMaoli96792 wrote:I think our QBʻs situation is solid. I have full confidence in Coach ROLO and STUTZ
They will work magic this year with whatever QB they decide to use. Run and shoot concepts is a system designed for QBʻs to flourish.
They are throwing into a space not directly at the receiver its the receivers responsibility to get to the space and make a play.
SPREAD AND SHREAD!!!!! I honestly believe that we will beat CAL in Australia and upset Michigan.
When conference play comes, no one will stop us because no one in the Mountain west runs this type of offense

That is optimistic... :lol: ...but hey, it's the off-season. Only issue I see here is the assumption that we're running the R&S. All I've heard is this will be more like Nevada's running attack than the R&S.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

J-Rod wrote:
KanakaMaoli96792 wrote:I think our QBʻs situation is solid. I have full confidence in Coach ROLO and STUTZ

That is optimistic... :lol: ...but hey, it's the off-season. Only issue I see here is the assumption that we're running the R&S. All I've heard is this will be more like Nevada's running attack than the R&S.
All four Qbacks are throwing 80 passes or more during practice.. working on footwork getting their feet pointed in the right direction, training to work through their progressions properly... etc. Sounds like the basics for the RnS. It will all depend on how well they do. If the lights go on, inside.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

madeinhawaii wrote: All four Qbacks are throwing 80 passes or more during practice.. working on footwork getting their feet pointed in the right direction, training to work through their progressions properly... etc. Sounds like the basics for the RnS. It will all depend on how well they do. If the lights go on, inside.
That sounds like the basics for playing QB at the FBS level.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

J-Rod wrote:I don't care about the current QBs. I want Tua for 4 years. :lol: If that opportunity came about, Rolo would be nuts to turn it away in favor of catering to our currently average QB corps. Hell, it might not even be average.
i don't know if this dream is gonna come true lol

looks like he is on the top of Alabama's QB list

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... -ole-miss/