2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by _sportcourt »

talloola25 wrote:
statefarmjake808 wrote:What is the hardest weight class to predict?
113 - Cabanban, Pagurayan, Santos, Morisato, Watase
120 - Nakasone, Pagurayan, Morisato, Estrella
132 - Terukina, Illabon-Totten, Ruiz
138 - Cooper, Bailey, Mimura, Takenaka
152 - Corbett, Pascua, Stevenson
If it stays as is, then 113 is the easy choice. Cabanban is the favorite . . . barely with 2 close wins over Pagurayan. Morisato has beat Watase and Santos, but lost to Pagurayan and Cabanban. Pagurayan has beat Santos and Morisato, but lost to Watase and Cabanban. Santos is the defending state champ and has wins over Pagurayan and Morisato. Watase has a win over Pagurayan, but a loss to Morisato. Watase may not even be at that weight when all is said and done. He has wrestled 120 and 126 this season.

My picks:
1. Pagurayan
2. Cabanban
3. Santos
4. Morisato
5. Watase
113 - The only constant one that has not lost is Cabanban ... Santos is over rated period, top two guys did not finish tournament last year he is fiesty but lacks alot. Pagurayan has improved but also has been pinned in one of his losses. Watase has gotten tougher but no way can he take out Nakasone, Nakasone is by far the favorite at 120lb, 126 Watase will get steamed rolled by the top 3..

120- Nakasone has been murdering his opponents, hes even tougher when his opponents dont know how to get out from bottom

132- Terukina even with the loss to Kato, I think he handles Totten. The sleeper is Fong, he can wreak havoc for OIA #1

138- Bailey not the greatest technical wrestler but might be a little tougher than anyone else in the weight class, mentally and physically...really gassed out last year at states hope he learned a lesson

152- Although my top #3 P4P Corbett, Kato & Cabanban.... I'm going to go with Pascua hes been making some nice strides and will push Corbett to the limit.. I don't think he performs great under the lights, both of his finals including his win last year were kind of sub-par.

160- If Corbett goes down, which IMO most likely wont happen it will be wide open for Noasusuga and perhaps Stevenson bumps up

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by statefarmjake808 »

Don't forget about 132 Tony Ruiz from Moanalua. Was up on Shandon before he lost at the end at Officials and then he beat Baylen Cooper. I think he makes it to the state finals

stonecoldstunner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by stonecoldstunner »

from the stands wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:I just asked one of the Roosevelt supporters about their wrestlers. Higa's win over Ford was especially impressive as she dominated from the opening whistle. Ford got nothing done offensively and was pinned at about 3:00. I believe Higa is 3-0 against Ford this season.
aren't YOU one of the ROS supporters \:D/
definitely a M.Higa fan (seem to be a lot of those lately). 3 of 4 post promoting her and other ROS wrestlers in some fashion, the 4th promoting the WAN concession, where ROS happened to be playing.

How many contested matched did ROS win against PEC in their Dual? ONE
A good win, was sort of expected. "especially impressive", not sure about that. You yourself said it happened twice before.
At that point how can it really be "especially impressive"??

Everyone seems to be beating Ford this year. In fact there was a big article and picture in the paper about He (ROS) beating Ford the other weekend. Yes, Ford has a title to her name, but she is a shadow of the wrestler from previous years.
I am not a supporter, but watching them wrestle has made me a fan. I appreciate the fact that, win or lose, ALL of their kids - boys and girls - take the time to give their opponents and opposing coaches an actual handshake. Not the cursory offering of a hand as you are walking away as I see many wrestlers do so much nowadays. They are well coached and disciplined and I applaud them for that.

You're right, they won only one match in the dual against Pearl City. And yes, maybe Ford is just not good. Maybe she got lucky last year. And I guess Pundyke is also just a shadow of her former self because she's lost more than a handful of matches this year, to various people. Who's losing because they got beat by a better wrestler or because they just fell off their game? Who knows? It's completely subjective and can be argued all day.

And I apologize if my 4th post struck a nerve. Hopefully my 5th doesn't.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

_sportcourt wrote:
talloola25 wrote:
statefarmjake808 wrote:What is the hardest weight class to predict?
113 - Cabanban, Pagurayan, Santos, Morisato, Watase
120 - Nakasone, Pagurayan, Morisato, Estrella
132 - Terukina, Illabon-Totten, Ruiz
138 - Cooper, Bailey, Mimura, Takenaka
152 - Corbett, Pascua, Stevenson
If it stays as is, then 113 is the easy choice. Cabanban is the favorite . . . barely with 2 close wins over Pagurayan. Morisato has beat Watase and Santos, but lost to Pagurayan and Cabanban. Pagurayan has beat Santos and Morisato, but lost to Watase and Cabanban. Santos is the defending state champ and has wins over Pagurayan and Morisato. Watase has a win over Pagurayan, but a loss to Morisato. Watase may not even be at that weight when all is said and done. He has wrestled 120 and 126 this season.

My picks:
1. Pagurayan
2. Cabanban
3. Santos
4. Morisato
5. Watase
113 - The only constant one that has not lost is Cabanban ... Santos is over rated period, top two guys did not finish tournament last year he is fiesty but lacks alot. Pagurayan has improved but also has been pinned in one of his losses. Watase has gotten tougher but no way can he take out Nakasone, Nakasone is by far the favorite at 120lb, 126 Watase will get steamed rolled by the top 3..

120- Nakasone has been murdering his opponents, hes even tougher when his opponents dont know how to get out from bottom

132- Terukina even with the loss to Kato, I think he handles Totten. The sleeper is Fong, he can wreak havoc for OIA #1

138- Bailey not the greatest technical wrestler but might be a little tougher than anyone else in the weight class, mentally and physically...really gassed out last year at states hope he learned a lesson

152- Although my top #3 P4P Corbett, Kato & Cabanban.... I'm going to go with Pascua hes been making some nice strides and will push Corbett to the limit.. I don't think he performs great under the lights, both of his finals including his win last year were kind of sub-par.

160- If Corbett goes down, which IMO most likely wont happen it will be wide open for Noasusuga and perhaps Stevenson bumps up
Stevenson vs. Naosusuga will be interesting.

At 132 it will be interesting to see Ruiz and Terukina go at it in the semis. Totten has majored/ pinned Fong every time they've met. It will be interesting to see what adjustments he makes for Terukina.

hammerlock
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hammerlock »

stonecoldstunner wrote:
from the stands wrote:
stonecoldstunner wrote:I just asked one of the Roosevelt supporters about their wrestlers. Higa's win over Ford was especially impressive as she dominated from the opening whistle. Ford got nothing done offensively and was pinned at about 3:00. I believe Higa is 3-0 against Ford this season.
aren't YOU one of the ROS supporters \:D/
definitely a M.Higa fan (seem to be a lot of those lately). 3 of 4 post promoting her and other ROS wrestlers in some fashion, the 4th promoting the WAN concession, where ROS happened to be playing.

How many contested matched did ROS win against PEC in their Dual? ONE
A good win, was sort of expected. "especially impressive", not sure about that. You yourself said it happened twice before.
At that point how can it really be "especially impressive"??

Everyone seems to be beating Ford this year. In fact there was a big article and picture in the paper about He (ROS) beating Ford the other weekend. Yes, Ford has a title to her name, but she is a shadow of the wrestler from previous years.
I am not a supporter, but watching them wrestle has made me a fan. I appreciate the fact that, win or lose, ALL of their kids - boys and girls - take the time to give their opponents and opposing coaches an actual handshake. Not the cursory offering of a hand as you are walking away as I see many wrestlers do so much nowadays. They are well coached and disciplined and I applaud them for that.

You're right, they won only one match in the dual against Pearl City. And yes, maybe Ford is just not good. Maybe she got lucky last year. And I guess Pundyke is also just a shadow of her former self because she's lost more than a handful of matches this year, to various people. Who's losing because they got beat by a better wrestler or because they just fell off their game? Who knows? It's completely subjective and can be argued all day.

And I apologize if my 4th post struck a nerve. Hopefully my 5th doesn't.
These are 15, 16, 17 year old kids. We shouldn't be talking about them like they're has-beens.

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

Looking pass this weekends Divisional and heading into next weeks OIA and ILH Championship I think for the OIA it will come to to 3 teams on the Boys side. Kapolei, Campbell and Moanalua. For the girls side Pearl City, Roosevelt and tied for 3rd Waianae and Kapolei. The boys will be a close one. Which ever of the 3 mentioned teams can win it if their wrestlers show up so should be an exciting finish. On the ILH Boys side I have to go with Iolani, Punahou and Kamehameha and the girls Kamehameha, Punahou and any ones bet afterwards. Final home stretch. Which team is peaking at the right time, which team is healthy the most?...Should be fun to watch.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Just want to get your thoughts on State Qualification. At the state website: http://sportshigh.com/sports/wrestling/tournament/2016 it shows how many qualifiers there are from each league. I don't know enough about the BIIF, MIL, and KIF to speak on their numbers. That being said do you think its fair numbers wise to qualify 4 wrestlers from ILH and 6 from OIA? I was looking at past years and here is an example from 2014(which was a year where it seemed like there was a lot of numbers growth).
In the Boys ILH Championship tournament there were: only 2 weight classes that had at least 6 wrestlers, 4 that had 5, the rest(8) had 4 or fewer thus auto qualifying all entries. On the girls side there were 1 that had 6, 4 that had 5 wrestlers, and 9 that auto qualified everyone. The same year in the OIA here were the numbers: boys - 1 bracket had 8, 10 had 12-15, 2 that had over 18. Girls: 1 bracket had 3, 4 had 8, the rest were 9-11 wrestlers.
Any thoughts?

ringworm
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ringworm »

talloola25 wrote:Just want to get your thoughts on State Qualification. At the state website: http://sportshigh.com/sports/wrestling/tournament/2016 it shows how many qualifiers there are from each league. I don't know enough about the BIIF, MIL, and KIF to speak on their numbers. That being said do you think its fair numbers wise to qualify 4 wrestlers from ILH and 6 from OIA? I was looking at past years and here is an example from 2014(which was a year where it seemed like there was a lot of numbers growth).
In the Boys ILH Championship tournament there were: only 2 weight classes that had at least 6 wrestlers, 4 that had 5, the rest(8) had 4 or fewer thus auto qualifying all entries. On the girls side there were 1 that had 6, 4 that had 5 wrestlers, and 9 that auto qualified everyone. The same year in the OIA here were the numbers: boys - 1 bracket had 8, 10 had 12-15, 2 that had over 18. Girls: 1 bracket had 3, 4 had 8, the rest were 9-11 wrestlers.
Any thoughts?
This year at some point there were 20 girls 102 weight class. Numbers may have changed over season.

20 total
11 from OIA
4 from ILH
Rest is outer island

That being said all of the ILH girls would have made it into states just to show up. My thought is what can you do? 6 out of 11 OIA players is just above half. Maybe by next week OIA will see some 20+man brackets in certain weight classes.

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Looks like Front runners are Campbell and Kapolei for the West, Moanalua for the east, and Iolani boys and Kam girls for the ILH. Any teams can make a push over the last 3 weeks and catch one of these teams sleeping? All it takes is hard work and dedication!

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Here are my predictions for the West/East in the OIA:
Boys:
West: 1. Campbell 2. Waianae 3. Leilhua 4. Kapolei 5. Pearl City
East: 1. Moanalua 2. Kahuku 3. Kaiser 4. Kalani 5. Roosevelt
Girls:
West: 1. Pearl City 2. Waianae 3. Kapolei 4. Campbell
East: 1. Roosevelt 2. Moanalua 3. Kahuku

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

My prediction:
West...1 Kapolei 2. Campbell 3.Waianae. Boys
1.Pearl City 2.Waianae 3.Kapolei. Girls

East....1.Moanalua 2.Kahuku. 3.Kaiser. Boys
1.Roosevelt 2.Kahuku. 3.Moanalua. Girls

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

talloola25 wrote:Here are my predictions for the West/East in the OIA:
Boys:
Girls:
Kapolei at 4th??? What do you know that we don't?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

statefarmjake808 wrote:
talloola25 wrote:Here are my predictions for the West/East in the OIA:
Boys:
Girls:
Kapolei at 4th??? What do you know that we don't?
Last year the same thing happened. They won duals, but got dinged up asking the way. Their 113,120 both looked like they were not 100%and Totten didn't even wrestle in the last dual.

Chinkyeyes
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Chinkyeyes »

Let's here the excuses on why Leilehua took first at westerns :-

ProudDad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by ProudDad »

Chinkyeyes wrote:Let's here the excuses on why Leilehua took first at westerns :-
Wow congrats to the Mules...who took 2nd and 3rd