2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Pureleafwrestling
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by Pureleafwrestling »

wrestling808 wrote:
Pureleafwrestling wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
Wow, a preseason poll that left out the Coopers! The family that drove the Corbetts nuts not on the list? Connor Villarmia ahead of the Coopers? OKEE DOKEE.
Correction* they drove the older brother nuts. Just because the older brothers were very dominant doesn't make the younger brothers dominant. If I recall little cooper went 0-2 at the state tournament last year and Connor Villamaria won it? The Coopers are a awesome wrestling family but Baylen has yet to prove himself

I'll give you the fact that Villarmia won a title, congrats to him. Albeit he lucked out that his side of the bracket was the weakest. If I recall correctly Liam didn't want anything to do with Blake.
You have to talk realistically, Blake was 2 years older and 2 weight classes above Liam. As for Kevin and Ray they were same age and same weight, they put on some of the best matches in high school and probably one of the best rivalry's. As for Connor Villamria, he had a outstanding state tournament, weak side or not, he does not choose who he wrestle or whose side he ends up on.. In my opinion I wasn't even putting him in my top 3. Give the kid his props. As for Baylen and Makoa, they have to prove themselves still! You can't get put into the top 10 pound for pound without any credentials backing your play. He didn't even win Oias or place at states. Taking nothing away from him because he is a great wrestler but you have to think about who really earned it.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

iolani4life wrote:
hanzosteel wrote:I think Iolani is a legitimate team contender. Did Nishigaya compete?
Campbell ran away from Nishigaya because they knew the freshman would destroy their wrestler. Iolani will be the 2016 wrestling champs, guaranteed!
Haha that's a bold statement so early in the season. Iolani is defenetly up there but anything can happen. Also I doubt anyone is running away from Nishigaya.

Anyway should be a good season, honestly I like the idea of mini tournaments over dual meets given the size of some of the OIA schools. Any news from the other locations, any notable matches?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

iolani4life wrote:
hanzosteel wrote:I think Iolani is a legitimate team contender. Did Nishigaya compete?
Campbell ran away from Nishigaya because they knew the freshman would destroy their wrestler. Iolani will be the 2016 wrestling champs, guaranteed!
@iolani4life: Are we talking ILH champs or State champs?

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

Pureleafwrestling wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
Pureleafwrestling wrote:
Correction* they drove the older brother nuts. Just because the older brothers were very dominant doesn't make the younger brothers dominant. If I recall little cooper went 0-2 at the state tournament last year and Connor Villamaria won it? The Coopers are a awesome wrestling family but Baylen has yet to prove himself

I'll give you the fact that Villarmia won a title, congrats to him. Albeit he lucked out that his side of the bracket was the weakest. If I recall correctly Liam didn't want anything to do with Blake.
You have to talk realistically, Blake was 2 years older and 2 weight classes above Liam. As for Kevin and Ray they were same age and same weight, they put on some of the best matches in high school and probably one of the best rivalry's. As for Connor Villamria, he had a outstanding state tournament, weak side or not, he does not choose who he wrestle or whose side he ends up on.. In my opinion I wasn't even putting him in my top 3. Give the kid his props. As for Baylen and Makoa, they have to prove themselves still! You can't get put into the top 10 pound for pound without any credentials backing your play. He didn't even win Oias or place at states. Taking nothing away from him because he is a great wrestler but you have to think about who really earned it.
Agree with the you have to earn it mantra: But...

How do you have Gallarde, Diamond, Stevenson ahead of Corey Cabanban winning as a freshman is no easy task and those guys have had many years to win the big one...not only did he win he was dominant at states. Is he really lower than Villarmia & Santos in your eyes.. I have him in my top three with Corbett, Kato, C.Cabanban and he truly had a better performance than Corbett last year.

iolani4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iolani4life »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
iolani4life wrote:

State Champs! We've got 3 legit finalists and a tough supporting cast of wrestlers.

Pureleafwrestling
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Pureleafwrestling »

_sportcourt wrote:
Pureleafwrestling wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:

Agree with the you have to earn it mantra: But...

How do you have Gallarde, Diamond, Stevenson ahead of Corey Cabanban winning as a freshman is no easy task and those guys have had many years to win the big one...not only did he win he was dominant at states. Is he really lower than Villarmia & Santos in your eyes.. I have him in my top three with Corbett, Kato, C.Cabanban and he truly had a better performance than Corbett last year.
You're right, but I'm basing it off of who he beat to get that state title. How deep was his weight class really? Not taking anything away from the kid, phenomenal wrestler.
Corbett had a great state tourney up until the finals, he's knocked off the 145 state champ and I'm pretty sure beat everyone in 160 last year because they all ran away from him. As far as diamond, the kid always does outstanding nationally and that by far better than a state title, that's just my opinion. It's just my opinion, cabanban definitely deserves to be in that top 10 but as a wrestler I don't think he's up there with those boys head to head. I know it's a big difference in weight haha but we're talking pound for pound

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Corey Cabanban is a terrific and seasoned wrestler. He started wrestling with coach Sanders along with the Alo's, Diamond's, Nishigaya's and Peralta's back in the day. He now trains with the Shawn Richardson and Darrel Terukina. It's no surprise at all at the success he's had. I do feel he deserves to be in the top 3 on the pound 4 pound overall list.

I'll say my top 3 would be Liam, Shandon and Corey. The 4 through 10 spots can definitely be debated.

statefarmjake808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by statefarmjake808 »

iolani4life wrote:
iolani4life wrote:

State Champs! We've got 3 legit finalists and a tough supporting cast of wrestlers.
Pascua and Nakasone if he cuts to 120, who is the third possible contender? Who else in their supporting cast can place?

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

statefarmjake808 wrote:
iolani4life wrote:

Pascua and Nakasone if he cuts to 120, who is the third possible contender? Who else in their supporting cast can place?
Iolani actually has 4 legit contenders. Pascua, Watase, Kaysen and Nishigaya. The supporting cast are a bit green but tough and spirited. Do I think they have a chance at a state team title? Perhaps if everything goes perfect for them. Otherwise they could play the role of spoilers.

iolani4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iolani4life »

Perhaps nothing, I don't see any other team that can even contend against us. All you need to do is ask Campbell...

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Long range prediction. Having viewed Konawaena's team and met the new coach, within 2 or 3 years the Wildcats will be a state threat. 2 kids at every weight class, boys & girls and very athletic and aggressive. They will finish above all BIIF schools quickly and given time will become a force.

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

kauwildman wrote:Long range prediction. Having viewed Konawaena's team and met the new coach, within 2 or 3 years the Wildcats will be a state threat. 2 kids at every weight class, boys & girls and very athletic and aggressive. They will finish above all BIIF schools quickly and given time will become a force.
Konawaena has always brought tough teams to the mat. But they always fizz out at states. So how much time should they be given?

2Cents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2Cents »

Mahalo to those who post tournament updates. Every week the OIA will be at different sites and the ILH, MIL, BIIF, Kauai have tournaments. Someone feed the beast and give us all something to talk about.

Host - Mililani 11-28-15
Schools - Mililani, Leilehua, Farrington, McKinley, Kapolei, Kahuku, Kaimuki, Nanakuli
Significant matches/wrestlers
Corbett - Dominated all his matches. Don't know if anyone was any good but looks like he deserves the P4P #1.
Small Pagaran - Looked dominant.
Less Small Pagaran - Looked even more dominant. S/B a finalist at 113/120 depending on who else hydrates to the weight
Diamond - looked like he wrestled all his own teammates.
Iliban - beat all comers without any problem.

I like the new tournament style rather than duel meets.

Iolani guy you kind of irritate me but I like that you give an ILH perspective. Right on Kauwildman for giving us some Big Island scoops, how's about some names and weights. MIL and Kauai speak up.

My top three P4P.
1) Corbett (State Champ, National AA),
2) Kato (State Champ, National AA),
3) Pascua (State Champ, two sport stand out)

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

2Cents wrote:Mahalo to those who post tournament updates. Every week the OIA will be at different sites and the ILH, MIL, BIIF, Kauai have tournaments. Someone feed the beast and give us all something to talk about.

Host - Mililani 11-28-15
Schools - Mililani, Leilehua, Farrington, McKinley, Kapolei, Kahuku, Kaimuki, Nanakuli
Significant matches/wrestlers
Corbett - Dominated all his matches. Don't know if anyone was any good but looks like he deserves the P4P #1.
Small Pagaran - Looked dominant.
Less Small Pagaran - Looked even more dominant. S/B a finalist at 113/120 depending on who else hydrates to the weight
Diamond - looked like he wrestled all his own teammates.
Iliban - beat all comers without any problem.

I like the new tournament style rather than duel meets.

Iolani guy you kind of irritate me but I like that you give an ILH perspective. Right on Kauwildman for giving us some Big Island scoops, how's about some names and weights. MIL and Kauai speak up.

My top three P4P.
1) Corbett (State Champ, National AA),
2) Kato (State Champ, National AA),
3) Pascua (State Champ, two sport stand out)
Corey beat Pagurayan for the title last year. Pagurayan went up a weight to wrestle Santos in a Dual and majored him just a couple weeks earlier. I put Corey above Santos(tough as nails though) for sure.

At the Mililani tournament, there wasn't a lot to see. The newest Corbett(Kelani) looked good. Diamond did get to wrestle a state place winner(5th) from Kapolei and dominated. Two state place winners Mahoe(Kapolei) and Sotelo(Mililani) wrestled with Mahoe coming out on top.

Not much to say yet though. Maui and Official's are just around the corner. Let the fun begin!

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

Talloola25, Do you know the weights that the wrestlers were competing in? Diamond, Mahoe, Sotelo, and Kelani Corbett?