2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by Kama »

Wrestling fans the new season is upon us. I do hope its challenging as well as exciting.

I attended the Campbell high school senior night in Ewa Beach this weekend. It's always great to see when the wrestling community presents new and interesting events and
this certainly hits the spot. I do have 1 complaint though, the snack bar was a little lean : )

Campbell Boys and girls team, Iolani Boys and girls team and Roosevelt girls were competing,

The evening started with the Campbell girls facing the Roosevelt girls. I was very surprised to see the Roosevelt girls run away with it. They eventually won by I believe 35 to 12.
Campbell's returning state champ Pundyke loss by pin which was really telling on how the night went for the Sabers.

On the boys side Iolani looked very strong as the defeated Campbell 36 to 12. At one point Iolany was up 33 - 3 Wining the first 4 matches by pin. Tyannes and Galarde didn't wrestle
and Sullivan won his heavyweight match for Campbell. I hope Campbell gets back on track in this shortened season.

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2016 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by wrestling808 »

Campbell was never able to get over the hump of mediocrity. I heard about Saturdays event from a friend and he pretty much said the same thing. Campbell can only get better because the bar they set is so low.

Iolani hasn't proven anything except that the can beat a junk team.

hanzosteel
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hanzosteel »

I think Iolani is a legitimate team contender. Did Nishigaya compete?

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Nishigaya and the finalist Kaysen (sorry forgot his last name) from Iolani did not wrestle. Nishigaya was suited up but I guess no match. Does anyone know if his brother is wrestling?

Rick
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rick »

I hear that there will be no dual meets in the OIA. Anyone know whats up with that?

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

OIA teams will not have dual meets only round robin tournaments. It's supposed to guarantee matches instead of forfeits. Not sure if ILH will have the same.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Ahhh wrestling season is finally upon us and time for all the left field coaches to come out and speak their peace! Speaking of which
Iolani has not a contending team in years, why should this year be any different?
On a serious note I would have expected more from Campbell being that the OIA season has started and ILH is still in preseason.
Roughrider girls looked like a good judo team, oh wait I think it is their state champ judo team converted to wrestling! Good for them recruiting those girls cause they brought it against the Sabers but didn't look to impressive against the Iolani girls (all 2 matches). Whatever happened to the Iolani girls team, they used to have some beasts.
State Champ Pascual seemed to have trouble in his match and looked frustrated not being able to have his way.
The Campbell Heavy made the Iolani Heavy look pretty small!
When I heard wrestling under the lights I was expecting a little more, but good concept and great hosts. That gym could use some air-conditioning or fans and the snack bar was pretty weak sauce.
I look forward to a new season of analysis by all the keyboard all-stars .

So now that Officials is in the middle of the season, does that mean it will screw up eligibility for a bunch of JV kids or Intermediates for ILH?
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

I was told that during the first hydration at the stadium 200 or so of the wrestlers tested failed. Lets see who fails the second time tomorrow.

Welcome back Old Man Jenkins.

Rick
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Rick »

Does anyone have a schedule of where the OIA tournaments will take place?

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Hawaii Prep World has the OIA and ILH schedules.

Tada
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tada »

In response to above, kaysen's last name is Takenaka and I believe Nishigayas brother is 8th grade

wrestlingfan_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlingfan_808 »

I know it's early, but does anyone have predictions for teams in the running for the championship? For boys and girls?

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

wrestlingfan_808 wrote:I know it's early, but does anyone have predictions for teams in the running for the championship? For boys and girls?
I would predict that whomever has the most complete team will have the best chance.

For the Boys team.

1. Lahainaluna: Although Lahainaluna loosing many of their key wrestlers to graduation, they now know what it takes to come out on top.
2. Kamehameha Kapalama: Tough athletic wrestlers with a full lineup.
3. Punahou: Although only a shadow of their former selves when they won 7 championships in a row, The are always in the mix.
4. Iolani: Rebuilding with many freshmen and 3 tough returnees.
5. Saint Louis: Lots of new faces with 2 tough returnees. Next year will be a boost with freshman Nishigaya.

For the Girls team.

1. Kamehameha Kapalama: Having the best wrestler in girls wrestling history certainly helps with recruiting!
2. Lahainaluna: Although loosing key wrestlers to graduation, will have a full lineup of competitive athletes.
3. Roosevelt: Has a great lineup of wrestlers / Judoka who use their talent on the mat very well. If they fill their lineup they will contend.

I'll see who I can add to this list once I see more teams in action.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

I would pick Kapolei on the boys side as #2. Kam wrestlers don't got what it takes to win. They should have put Terukina as head coach and gotten rid of the bozos.

"Billy V, if brains grew on trees you'd be a leaf"

_sportcourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by _sportcourt »

I think its fair to assume that you need a full squad for your team to do win a team title so with that in mind heres mine.

BOYS:
Kapolei - They are back this year with some firepower, couple that with the experience they have been gaining over the years, this is their money year. They have been developing that program over time can they make the leap
Iolani - Loaded with athletes who can put points on the board, 2016 they will be back in the mix of things, they have been putting in the work staying on the mat in local/national tournamenets and it shows.
Kamehameha - The team you cant count on, but cant count out...they are young but hang tough! They got two of the best young studs in the room coaching...if allowed they will make a difference
Lahaina - They were the team that should have won it for the past several years and finally pulled through last year with a senior heavy squad....dont think it happens again this year but should be in the thick of things 3-5
Punahou Honda with one more year at the helm..slowly seeing his influence on his wrestlers can his style win in 2016?

GIRS:
Kamehameha - Clearly the number one team in the state with the greatest female highschool wrestler ever...she will be leading a team that should be stacked with finalist!
Roosevelt - They literally blew Campbell out of the water and if they have a full roster should run away with it in the OIA, destined for a major battle with Kamehameha. Rough Riders score points so they can make this interesting
Lahaina - they will be tough but are they tough enough to compete with this years two elite teams, they come in to states with full rosters and have the advantage of getting two kids into their state qualifer.

Moanalua - We all heard the east will be back, beside the full roster can they compete with the West! No question they will be world beaters in the EAST but the west has proven to be the dominate wrestling power in the OIA over the last several years.
St. Louis - They have 2 elite wrestlers in the Cabanban's and then it goes south very quickly for them.... dont care who they are bringing in does not happen over night.
Campbell - Is there a program that has sunk like a rock quicker than Sabers? Couple years ago as a program they were a rising star, no longer seems this is the case... They were absolutely slaughtered by Iolani and Roosevelt, two good teams but it was not even close, they need help quickly or its done.

Mililani - They could surprise teams.... They are a young coaching staff but they have been instilling a passion into their young ones (JV) and they may bust through this year. If its close dont count them out