2015 State Title: #1 Kahuku vs. #2 St. Louis

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
95boyz
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2015 State Title: #1 Kahuku vs. #2 St. Louis

Post by 95boyz »

.... Kahuku's dynasty started in 2000.
Last edited by 95boyz on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

bigD wrote:
saintlouisontop wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Kahuku is the obvious favorite but Punahou will contend next year, too. Kapule will benefit from the return of pretty much all of our receivers with a sophomore-to-be giving the corps a boost. The defense should improve and has got a great leader in Seyddrick, who is a candidate to win defensive POY honors next year. Noah Falcon Kaumatule--if he can stay healthy--could contribute right away and be a nice replacement for Patamo Soa. One major concern is RB. Our running game pretty much consisted of Wayne last year. But if we can replace Kanawai, we can replace him. There isn't any reason to believe there'll be a dropoff for Punahou next year. Punahou should be one of the top 4 teams in the state next year.
DYLAN TOILOLO HEISMAN WINNER
that kid is a beast!!! he looked like the best linebacker on the field but hes a defensive back??? wow thats unreal!!
No he is a linebacker

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kScsxa3cCTE

Lol of course in favor of Kahuku. Glad this made espn

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:Kahuku is the obvious favorite but Punahou will contend next year, too. Kapule will benefit from the return of pretty much all of our receivers with a sophomore-to-be giving the corps a boost. The defense should improve and has got a great leader in Seyddrick, who is a candidate to win defensive POY honors next year. Noah Falcon Kaumatule--if he can stay healthy--could contribute right away and be a nice replacement for Patamo Soa. One major concern is RB. Our running game pretty much consisted of Wayne last year. But if we can replace Kanawai, we can replace him. There isn't any reason to believe there'll be a dropoff for Punahou next year. Punahou should be one of the top 4 teams in the state next year.
@gopunahou: I think St Louis will have a lock on the ILH title next year. I mean, they return Tagovailoa and almost all their LBs. Both Tagovailoa and the LBs are the best in the state. I can't see how Punahou or Kamehameha can beat them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS FB Fanatic, STL might be favorites but won't be head and shoulders above us or anyone else. To think so is jumping the gun.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gridiron22 wrote:Congratulations to the Red Raiders for winning the title when they were probably the 4th best team on most peoples list when the season started (1. St. Louis, 2. Mililani, 3. Punahou)
Did anyone see this coming? Considering the lack luster performance last year with Lee Leslie at the Helm? and the Strength of Mililani returning that three headed monster. I was talking to several gentlemen at a bar this past summer and they all said ST. LOUIS, ST. LOUIS will be the team to beat, we all agreed because of the roster that they were going to field this season. St. Louis did not disappoint but I think Kahuku just surprised everyone. Hats off to Coach Tata for going all out and coaching his brains out. Him and Ha'o got that team to peak at the right time. Technically Cal Lee had the better team but got out coached plain and simple..
- are there any St. Louis alumni willing to admit that?
- Hey whats the problem at least he was out coached by another St. Louis Alum!
- Is any St. Louis fan regretting the firing of Ha'o as St. Louis's head coach several years ago?
- Is Ha'o secretly celebrating this win as a revenge victory over the very school that educated, hired him and then fired him?

We can only wonder what Tata and Ha'o have planned for next year after having a full season under their belts on the north shore, is this the beginning of a dynasty with multiple championships?
Did Kahukus "In your face" attitude start a war between themselves and St. Louis, many indications are that it did, for example Cal Lee not accepting the 2nd place trophy, St. Louis brotherhood alumni in the stands cursing and walking away in disgust over Kahuku's tactics. Several Kahuku families and players on St. Louis's team that felt torn that night having to witness the animosity, one player even contemplating to return to Kahuku next year. Was it all part of a master plan that capped itself off in yesterdays paper when Coach Tata asked for Kahukus future stars to stay home and not go away to play their high school football?

Last years Kahuku coach Lee Leslie tried to make the homegrown kids attending private schools feel like traitors, that plan backfired and really turned off many parents in the community. Tata on the other hand built up the kids rather then trying to tear them down. His Samoan upbringing allow him to relate to the Kahuku kids and get them to buy into his system. The last thing for him to do was to win, and that he did. Now his credibility is at an all-time high. Winning can cure a lot of things but it cant turn a chicken into a swan.

Tata is going to have to tap into some kind of Marketing genius plan to sell Kahuku's public school education over an ILH education to make the Blue Chippers stay home and I think that plan was set in motion Friday night with that pre-game Haka. The Mana and power behind that performance (although it racked up a 15 yd penalty) was enough to make every single Kahuku alumnus proud and every Kahuku kid want to be a part of that when they grow up. Pride and Honor is the only way you can persuade someone to pick the chicken over the swan and Kahuku's pride meter just went through the roof this past weekend.
@gridiron22:
1. Lee outcoached by "another St Louis alum"? Lee is a Kalani alum.
2. I'm not really sure Lee really had the better team; he had the better QB, better LBs, and better receivers. But, Tata had the better O-line, D-line, RBs, and DBs.
3. I'm not sure Tata can start a dynasty at Kahuku just yet. St Louis will return Tagovailoa and most of their LBs. It will be tough for any school to beat them.
4. I'm not sure we should get only on Kahuku's case about "in-your-face" attitude; St Louis has had the same attitude for at least two decades.
5. I wouldn't be so quick to sing the praises of an "ILH education"; that varies from school to school. St Louis isn't exactly the Harvard of ILH schools. I'm not sure their academics are way better than Kahuku's. Iolani or Punahou, OK: They're much stronger than Kahuku academically. St Louis? OK, better, but not necessarily way better than Kahuku. I think an academically-motivated kid at Kahuku can learn more than a kid at St Louis who just wants to get by.
6. If Kahuku alumni want to be proud of their alma mater, they need to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem; they should send their kids to Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gridiron22 wrote:Congratulations to the Red Raiders for winning the title when they were probably the 4th best team on most peoples list when the season started (1. St. Louis, 2. Mililani, 3. Punahou)
Did anyone see this coming? Considering the lack luster performance last year with Lee Leslie at the Helm? and the Strength of Mililani returning that three headed monster. I was talking to several gentlemen at a bar this past summer and they all said ST. LOUIS, ST. LOUIS will be the team to beat, we all agreed because of the roster that they were going to field this season. St. Louis did not disappoint but I think Kahuku just surprised everyone. Hats off to Coach Tata for going all out and coaching his brains out. Him and Ha'o got that team to peak at the right time. Technically Cal Lee had the better team but got out coached plain and simple..
- are there any St. Louis alumni willing to admit that?
- Hey whats the problem at least he was out coached by another St. Louis Alum!
- Is any St. Louis fan regretting the firing of Ha'o as St. Louis's head coach several years ago?
- Is Ha'o secretly celebrating this win as a revenge victory over the very school that educated, hired him and then fired him?

We can only wonder what Tata and Ha'o have planned for next year after having a full season under their belts on the north shore, is this the beginning of a dynasty with multiple championships?
Did Kahukus "In your face" attitude start a war between themselves and St. Louis, many indications are that it did, for example Cal Lee not accepting the 2nd place trophy, St. Louis brotherhood alumni in the stands cursing and walking away in disgust over Kahuku's tactics. Several Kahuku families and players on St. Louis's team that felt torn that night having to witness the animosity, one player even contemplating to return to Kahuku next year. Was it all part of a master plan that capped itself off in yesterdays paper when Coach Tata asked for Kahukus future stars to stay home and not go away to play their high school football?

Last years Kahuku coach Lee Leslie tried to make the homegrown kids attending private schools feel like traitors, that plan backfired and really turned off many parents in the community. Tata on the other hand built up the kids rather then trying to tear them down. His Samoan upbringing allow him to relate to the Kahuku kids and get them to buy into his system. The last thing for him to do was to win, and that he did. Now his credibility is at an all-time high. Winning can cure a lot of things but it cant turn a chicken into a swan.

Tata is going to have to tap into some kind of Marketing genius plan to sell Kahuku's public school education over an ILH education to make the Blue Chippers stay home and I think that plan was set in motion Friday night with that pre-game Haka. The Mana and power behind that performance (although it racked up a 15 yd penalty) was enough to make every single Kahuku alumnus proud and every Kahuku kid want to be a part of that when they grow up. Pride and Honor is the only way you can persuade someone to pick the chicken over the swan and Kahuku's pride meter just went through the roof this past weekend.
@gridiron22:
1. Lee outcoached by "another St Louis alum"? Lee is a Kalani alum.
2. I'm not really sure Lee really had the better team; he had the better QB, better LBs, and better receivers. But, Tata had the better O-line, D-line, RBs, and DBs.
3. I'm not sure Tata can start a dynasty at Kahuku just yet. St Louis will return Tagovailoa and most of their LBs. It will be tough for any school to beat them.
4. I'm not sure we should get only on Kahuku's case about "in-your-face" attitude; St Louis has had the same attitude for at least two decades.
5. I wouldn't be so quick to sing the praises of an "ILH education"; that varies from school to school. St Louis isn't exactly the Harvard of ILH schools. I'm not sure their academics are way better than Kahuku's. Iolani or Punahou, OK: They're much stronger than Kahuku academically. St Louis? OK, better, but not necessarily way better than Kahuku. I think an academically-motivated kid at Kahuku can learn more than a kid at St Louis who just wants to get by.
6. If Kahuku alumni want to be proud of their alma mater, they need to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem; they should send their kids to Kahuku.
Not Kahuku
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

@gopunahou: I think St Louis will have a lock on the ILH title next year. I mean, they return Tagovailoa and almost all their LBs. Both Tagovailoa and the LBs are the best in the state. I can't see how Punahou or Kamehameha can beat them.
Saint Louis loses 4/5 starting offensive lineman and their entire starting defensive line to graduation. Football games aren't won with a QB and a LB core, the trench war will dictate the game on most occasions. The word "lock" shouldn't belong anywhere near football unless you're betting against UH \:D/

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

rednblue wrote:

Saint Louis loses 4/5 starting offensive lineman and their entire starting defensive line to graduation. Football games aren't won with a QB and a LB core, the trench war will dictate the game on most occasions. The word "lock" shouldn't belong anywhere near football unless you're betting against UH \:D/
Why did St. Louis keep their best two LB's Iosefa and Slade on the outside for all 4 Quarters? I can see that Toilolo and Purcell are beasts but they are also sophomores, you got two of the best LB's in the state and they basically were not factors on the defense because Kahuku ran right up the middle all night. Mililani had one 220 LB that plugged holes and stopped Kahukus jumbo pkg, Farrington had one 220 lbs LB and did the same thing. St. Louis had four 220 lbs Linebackers and they did not do a thing to stop the jumbo pkg. Was Cal Lee giving the game away or something?

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

kahuku definitely the favorite next year, ah hoy, kaniho, botelho , vimahi, brown, falemalu, naupoto, renaud and 3 of 5 OL, plus the talent that will move up from the jv........it'll be another big year for them. on the ilh side, I wouldn't say that stl is favorite. sure they return tagovailoa, matautia, Purcell, toilolo, oasay, young and saole. but that's it.......they lose OL and DL, and nobody coming up to help. to me, punahou is the favorite. kapule, takeyama, lakalaka, Williams, suguturaga, dominik, tufono, woo, martinson , brady......they actually return most of their OL and DL and most of the Defense and Offensive skill guys. they gotta be the favorite in the ilh. stl, kam and iolani need to have guys step in and make a great impact in order to compete with all that experience. I know it's waaaaaay too early to predict next years championship, but I like pun v. kahuku in 2016

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Like Manti said "Nobody remembers 2nd".

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rednblue wrote:
@rednblue: Point well-taken. In that case, perhaps Kahuku can start thinking dynasty. Most of their O will be returning, and the JV won the OIA title. Did St Louis win the ILH JV title?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gridiron22 wrote:
rednblue wrote:

Why did St. Louis keep their best two LB's Iosefa and Slade on the outside for all 4 Quarters? I can see that Toilolo and Purcell are beasts but they are also sophomores, you got two of the best LB's in the state and they basically were not factors on the defense because Kahuku ran right up the middle all night. Mililani had one 220 LB that plugged holes and stopped Kahukus jumbo pkg, Farrington had one 220 lbs LB and did the same thing. St. Louis had four 220 lbs Linebackers and they did not do a thing to stop the jumbo pkg. Was Cal Lee giving the game away or something?
@gridiron22: That's a good question. No school had LBs like St Louis did. Was Lee also serving as DC? Perhaps he was trying to take-away the flanks from Kahuku? St Louis makes adjustments quickly; it's a mystery as to why they didn't put Iosefa and Slade in the middle once Kahuku started running up the gut. I don't know if that would have been worth 25 points, though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dog 96707 wrote:kahuku definitely the favorite next year, ah hoy, kaniho, botelho , vimahi, brown, falemalu, naupoto, renaud and 3 of 5 OL, plus the talent that will move up from the jv........it'll be another big year for them. on the ilh side, I wouldn't say that stl is favorite. sure they return tagovailoa, matautia, Purcell, toilolo, oasay, young and saole. but that's it.......they lose OL and DL, and nobody coming up to help. to me, punahou is the favorite. kapule, takeyama, lakalaka, Williams, suguturaga, dominik, tufono, woo, martinson , brady......they actually return most of their OL and DL and most of the Defense and Offensive skill guys. they gotta be the favorite in the ilh. stl, kam and iolani need to have guys step in and make a great impact in order to compete with all that experience. I know it's waaaaaay too early to predict next years championship, but I like pun v. kahuku in 2016
@Dog 96707:
1. Who won the ILH JV title? That might be a small factor.
2. Will Iolani be in D1 again? I thought that was still up-in-the-air.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

It'd be a shame if Iolani went down, considering the talent and big bodies coming back for them next year.