Nick rolovich
12%
Rich miano
5%
Chris naeole
3%
They should've kept norm chow
2%
Other(please explain who in comments below)
22%

Total votes: 60

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Who would you like to see as new coach!

Post by Manoa »

Local ties are important because you need to recruit Hawaii. And if you recruit from the mainland you need to sell Hawaii. If we cannot recruit most of our players from Hawaii and find a way to use them and maybe "coach them up" with the right scheme, then we will never succeed because recruiting on the mainland except for a concentrated effort on a few players we have identified with things like local ties, poly ethnicity, etc. is not going to be possible with coaches making very few trips to keep contact with high school coaches, scouting players, etc.-- it costs big bucks and we need to spend that mainland recruiting money on a small number of recruits we have a shot at.

Every time you see discussion in the media about coach choices one question is always can the coach recruit the area that the team draws from.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Hmmm... didn't think he would, just yet, but....now you gotta add ARANDA to that list.
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Aloha-Aranda--41221656

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Hawaii808ss
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaii808ss »

I think that Hawaii should really focus on hiring a head coach either with strong local ties, or from here. I don't think they should hire another coach from the mainland. I believe that Norm's biggest mistake was not taking care of the local boys, as well as hiring mostly mainland coaches for his staff. Having said that, although June Jones is not from Hawaii, he embraces this state and he already has a proven track record here at Hawaii. In this exact moment and time, considering the situation the football program is in, we need a quick turnaround, and I believe that June is the best for that. And then surround himself with good local coaches. We need a coach who understands and embraces the state of Hawaii and gives local boys an incentive to play at home.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

madeinhawaii wrote:Hmmm... didn't think he would, just yet, but....now you gotta add ARANDA to that list.
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Aloha-Aranda--41221656
This is a game changer... Aranda seems like the kind of hire that Matlin is looking to make (if the price is right)
Last edited by poidog on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I change my vote. I never thought he would but if he is he's got my vote. This is the one coach that I had wanted Chow to keep.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

After seeing the lack of fans last night and along with the record budget deficit, Matlin better get fans in the seats. Not sure anyone without HC experience will be able to do that. Hope we can offer more money and get a good offensive mind.
ImageImage

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Irse wrote:After seeing the lack of fans last night and along with the record budget deficit, Matlin better get fans in the seats. Not sure anyone without HC experience will be able to do that. Hope we can offer more money and get a good offensive mind.
More and more, I'm thinking that getting the fans back into the seats is a tall order. Not because there aren't enough fans to go around. More because they have lost faith in the way that UH handles the program. Too little too late. No money? NOW that's a certainty. 11K fans in the stands. The NO MONEY situation is what they created by not being proactive in a contructive manner. And by not being proactive, as such, they have turned the fans away, especially the ones that make that journey to the stadium come rain or shine, traffic and accidents, no parking and parking tickets. There was a time when fans would park illegally all over the place, on the medial strips and red zones, to get to the stadium to watch the game. I know, cause I used to drop my father off at the games by Aiea Elementary and then drive a mile back up the hill to his house and walk down, again.

4 years was, at the very least, a year too long. Then waiting till Chow no longer qualified for bowl and division title bonuses was an insult to the fans. How serious UH takes it's athletics program is a reflection of how good it can be. Right now, it seems, they are happy with mediocrity and mediocrity is what they will contnue to get in response from the fan base. They may have killed the golden goose of the athletic program... the cash cow is drying up.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Manoa wrote:Local ties are important because you need to recruit Hawaii. And if you recruit from the mainland you need to sell Hawaii. If we cannot recruit most of our players from Hawaii and find a way to use them and maybe "coach them up" with the right scheme, then we will never succeed because recruiting on the mainland except for a concentrated effort on a few players we have identified with things like local ties, poly ethnicity, etc. is not going to be possible with coaches making very few trips to keep contact with high school coaches, scouting players, etc.-- it costs big bucks and we need to spend that mainland recruiting money on a small number of recruits we have a shot at.

Every time you see discussion in the media about coach choices one question is always can the coach recruit the area that the team draws from.
Unfortunately, keeping top talent will never happen. It never happened during the winning days of Wags or JJ and now with the larger differences (facilities, exposure, stipends, etc) between the P5 schools and UH it will be even harder to keep top local talent home. Also, UH will always need RB, DB & WR imports from the mainland bc the stock here is limited.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

madeinhawaii wrote:4 years was, at the very least, a year too long. Then waiting till Chow no longer qualified for bowl and division title bonuses was an insult to the fans. How serious UH takes it's athletics program is a reflection of how good it can be. Right now, it seems, they are happy with mediocrity and mediocrity is what they will contnue to get in response from the fan base. They may have killed the golden goose of the athletic program... the cash cow is drying up.
Agreed, but I think we were just in a bad spot because we had a lame duck AD for so long and that was the real issue as Ben Jay had neither the spine nor the vision to lead us out of the darkness.

With that said and in spite of all the doom and gloom, I'm pretty optimistic about things and I think that after this weekend the worst will be behind us. I like the AD and I think he made a good hire in Eran Ganot. Beeman, Shoji, and Coolen are good at what they do. All Matlin needs to do is nail the Football hire and decide if he wants to keep Trepasso around and UH Athletics will be in a better position than it has been in a very long time. I think people are ready to get back on board (it's only a matter of time before Basketball has some near-sellouts) and as long as Matlin doesn't hire another Norm Chow (potential worst coach in the country, old and out of touch, no deep connection to the university) that things will be okay...

Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Hiloman »

tchang09 wrote:I can see the reasons why a lot of people don't want June Jones back.

The reason I support him is because he is the only candidate who could generate excitement in the program again day 1, and increase season ticket sales. I feel that with all the other candidates, most people will take a "wait and see" approach for a year or 2 at which point the athletic program may be bankrupt. Haha!

We had some good years and some bad years with June Jones. I was always pleased with the number of NFL players his teams produced which is great for recruiting.

I heard him speak at a non profit event a few months ago. He's been on a "goodwill tour" of sorts to let people know that he's changed, and has developed a stronger character. [probably regarding his alleged relationship(s) with wahine student athlete(s)]

I'm a believer in second chances. #JuneWouldThrow
Enough of the false reports about character issue.

http://mauinow.com/2015/11/08/former-uh ... -straight/

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

I picked "other".

Considering the current political tone (no money, no money, no money), I think the next coach will be asked to do so on a limited budget, as in low pay.

Trending on social media are local politicians questioning why the UH AD has the highest paid state employees. One claims that the UH HC is the highest paid state associate - higher than the Governor.

So, whoever wants to coach UH for peanuts is my choice.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Haynr8dr wrote:Considering the current political tone (no money, no money, no money), I think the next coach will be asked to do so on a limited budget, as in low pay. Trending on social media are local politicians questioning why the UH AD has the highest paid state employees. One claims that the UH HC is the highest paid state associate - higher than the Governor.
Interesting that politicians would say this considering that they paid the last guy bottom-15 percentile (107 out of 128, teams getting paid less are sun belt, mac, sjsu, latech, fau) and about 1/4th of the industry average (of ~$2.1 mil). This decision resulted in getting bottom-5 percentile in the win column four years in a row, the lowest attendance and interest for Hawaii football in Aloha Stadium history, and growing annual fiscal deficits by the athletic department. Fiscal responsibility is important, and I'm not saying to spend anywhere near industry average, but by potentially limiting your coach pool by saying things like they're already paying too much (at 550k) is just setting yourself up to fail.

salary data: (using, school+bonus fields) http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/