Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Please STOP the Crying

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Ask yourself these questions and you'll know why UH FB is in this pathetic situation!

1) Where all of the negative "Sally’s" who wanted Mac gone? Are we better off with NC? I bet most fans would be happier with 7-6 seasons vs. 1-12.

2) Why would you hire a person for a position they never held? In the corporate world, the C- level (CEO, CIO,etc) attain that status at a company then can move to other C-level jobs for other companies. People never like to hire someone who lacks real world experience for a job , unless they are cleaning toilets.

3) Why doesn't the Tourism Authority (TA) supplement UH sports? There are direct and indirect spending seen on the islands that can be traced to UH sports. I have worked in the IT and financial industries for 12 years and companies always spend tons of money (15-40% of rev) on marketing even though sometimes they have trouble quantifying returns. Where is the payoff for UH? The TA and all related vendors (hotels, restaurants) receive extra kala without having to pay for the marketing. That's a HUGE problem.

4) Why doesn't UH charge $300 for student fees to boost UH Athletics treasure chest? People complain about many things at UH and they ignore that fact the P5 programs change a premium for student fees and overall UH is cheap compared to elite schools, so the extra $200-250 shouldn’t have a large impact. avg instate 25k (.01% of cost if student fee was $250 more and out of state 44K (.005 of cost if student fee was $250 more). Find me an ecomonist who would suggest these minuscule increases would impact enrollment and I'll tell you that you found a person who's degree is not worth the paper it is printed on.

5) Why do some financial and socially connected people get to play "king maker"? Is this 2015 or 1815? Having secret dealings for such an important appointment should not be made in the dark as it did with the NC hiring. How can we hold those idiots accountable?

6) Why is the marketing of UH FB abysmal? I have seen high school teams with better initiatives than UH. There are business professors on campus, so why can’t we leverage them? Have competitions for marketing majors or related fields to create case studies and build marketing plans.
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

BigWave96744

Re: Please STOP the Crying

Post by BigWave96744 »

#2 is a roll of the dice, Mack was a career assistant. So was Wags.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

BigWave96744 wrote:#2 is a roll of the dice, Mack was a career assistant. So was Wags.
Point being, that there were other coaches on the list with HC experience.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

BigWave96744 wrote:#2 is a roll of the dice, Mack was a career assistant. So was Wags.
Many assistants who became head coaches turned out to be good hires. Navy's hiring of Kenny Niumatalolo, Boise State's elevation of Chris Peterson, Colorado State's hiring of Jim McElwain, etc.

Here, JD submitted the hiring committee's choice of Dirk Koetter to MRC Greenwood. So yes, the hiring committee's first choice was someone with college head coaching experience. While each situation is unique and you really cannot generalize, many wonder "what if" to this day.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Ask yourself these questions and you'll know why UH FB is in this pathetic situation!

1) Where all of the negative "Sally’s" who wanted Mac gone? Are we better off with NC? I bet most fans would be happier with 7-6 seasons vs. 1-12.

2) Why would you hire a person for a position they never held? In the corporate world, the C- level (CEO, CIO,etc) attain that status at a company then can move to other C-level jobs for other companies. People never like to hire someone who lacks real world experience for a job , unless they are cleaning toilets.
1) So you would have kept Mac because you are happy with 7-6, correct? BTW he did NOT qualify for a Bowl in his last year. He was not a great recruiter either. And he put his foot in his mouth on more than 1 occasion. And he did NOT qualify for a bowl game in 2 of his 4 years.

2) I can punch a million holes through this one, but ok. Who would you have hired?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

yeah, because you can guarantee that they wouldn't have hired Norm Chow if Mack stayed on another season? Chances are, they would have made the same decision even if Mack coached out the last season of his contract. If you think he was gonna coach beyond his contract, then you really aren't paying attention.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

CoconutKid wrote:
1) So you would have kept Mac because you are happy with 7-6, correct? BTW he did NOT qualify for a Bowl in his last year. He was not a great recruiter either. And he put his foot in his mouth on more than 1 occasion. And he did NOT qualify for a bowl game in 2 of his 4 years.
Your post is so misinformed on so many levels. For one, I would have gladly kept Mac, because he brought in a progressive team of young coaches that would have taken us to a bowl every year. Norm Chow has only ever staffed down-side of the career coaches. An unfortunate depletion of eligible quarterbacks and offensive linemen resulted in McMackin losing a few games by a mere field goal. Under normal circumstances (unlike having the ENTIRE starting offensive line become injured or ineligible) we would have easily secured a bowl bid. Secondly, McMackin was nationally recognized for his recruiting acumen. Ask the Rock and Ray Lewis how they felt about McMackin's recruiting ability at the U. Some superstars that McMackin recruited for Hawaii: Alex Greene, Greg Alexander, Joey Iosefa, and Blake Muir. He did not put his foot in his mouth regularly. He called the Notre Dame version of the Haka a "diggity dance." He immediately apologized for it and has been held accountable for it by the politically correct people.

In regard to the original poster: Your arguments are a little naive and simplistic. College football is not a corporation, and I really don't admire corporate America to be honest.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I say, that's the beauty of sports. Mac's 7-6 was unacceptable because everyone expect JJ-Sugar bowl. Anything less than that = failed. Mac, no matter what his staff did, was set to failed with JJ still fresh in everyone's mind. How we wish for a 7-6 season today.

The decision to hire Chow was a good one. Again, we can not look that the performance of the last few years. At the time of hiring, Chow was record was impressive. His experience was impressive. We (Hawaii fans) all remember BYU's offense. USC, and all the QBs in his system.

Chow's hiring was the "right" decision (at the time IMO) - that just didn't work out.

To chase out Mac was wrong. To chase out Bob Wagner was wrong. That's the beauty of sports.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

CoconutKid wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:Ask yourself these questions and you'll know why UH FB is in this pathetic situation!

1) Where all of the negative "Sally’s" who wanted Mac gone? Are we better off with NC? I bet most fans would be happier with 7-6 seasons vs. 1-12. I'd take 2 bowl games versus goose egg, wouldn't you? Also, if NC is a better recruiter, that hasn't aided him in turning around the program and winning a bunch of games. Winning is a combination of player talent, coaching talent and scheme.

2) I can punch a million holes through this one, but ok. Who would you have hired?
1) Mac won nearly 20 more games in 4 seasons (29-25) compared to NC's (10-32) 4 in years...are you kidding? Is there any comparisons? People didn't like Mac bc he wasn't the best speaker and was quirky, but I wouldn't say NC is a far departure either. It is hilarious that "fans" defend a 10 wins coach over someone who out performed him by a ton.

2) I favored Dirk Koetter because he had HC experience @ Boise and ASU. Also, he's 15 years younger than NC. I guess you guys don't have to evaluate risks in your jobs, probably just drawing straws to make decisions. In my field (IT) and most of the business world, decisions are made by analytics, reviews of documentation/specs and finding the biggest bang for your buck. If you used this method, Koetter was the best option. So much for shooting a million holes.
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Duster wrote:
Many assistants who became head coaches turned out to be good hires. Navy's hiring of Kenny Niumatalolo, Boise State's elevation of Chris Peterson, Colorado State's hiring of Jim McElwain, etc.

Here, JD submitted the hiring committee's choice of Dirk Koetter to MRC Greenwood. So yes, the hiring committee's first choice was someone with college head coaching experience. While each situation is unique and you really cannot generalize, many wonder "what if" to this day.
I was making the point that given the option, I will take an experienced and successful person for any gig before I look at a prospect, who is unproven. I have been building IT process and program management teams for 6 years and prospects are a roll of the dice.

Proven commodity > Unproven commodity

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

poidog wrote:yeah, because you can guarantee that they wouldn't have hired Norm Chow if Mack stayed on another season? Chances are, they would have made the same decision even if Mack coached out the last season of his contract. If you think he was gonna coach beyond his contract, then you really aren't paying attention.
Not following your logic. It is obvious that Mac outperformed NC...that's clear, correct? 29-25 is better than 10-32, right?

As far as coaching through the last year or contract extensions are irreverent. They decided to go with a home town guy (NC) who was successful 15 years ago and used an obsolete offensive system. The oligarchy pushed NC as their guy and the decision was made. That decision was based more on opinion than sound evaluation. NC has been on a slide for the long time and his system can't work at UH as this isn't SC and will never be obviously. Dirk was the guy with a proven pedigree.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

In regard to the original poster: Your arguments are a little naive and simplistic. College football is not a corporation, and I really don't admire corporate America to be honest.[/quote]

I have tons of FB knowledge...played football my entire life (on a few state runner up teams @ Kapahulu and Frosh state champs @ Damien) and played D3 FB in great conference (NJAC). My cousins, uncles have played at SC, BYU, and UW, so been around the game since I could crawl.

Analytics are used today by many successful sporting teams for their decision making. Do you suggest it doesn't work? Should a rich man decide UH's FB HC? Another option is a gut feeling perhaps? We took a turn to the old Hawaii ways, where people with kala can influence and pull strings for just about anything. Given the choice I choose provable methods vs. favors.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote:I say, that's the beauty of sports. Mac's 7-6 was unacceptable because everyone expect JJ-Sugar bowl. Anything less than that = failed. Mac, no matter what his staff did, was set to failed with JJ still fresh in everyone's mind. How we wish for a 7-6 season today.

The decision to hire Chow was a good one. Again, we can not look that the performance of the last few years. At the time of hiring, Chow was record was impressive. His experience was impressive. We (Hawaii fans) all remember BYU's offense. USC, and all the QBs in his system.

Chow's hiring was the "right" decision (at the time IMO) - that just didn't work out.

To chase out Mac was wrong. To chase out Bob Wagner was wrong. That's the beauty of sports.
JJ left mostly bc of his girlfriend and Mac was set up to fail...he ran into some trouble with comments and overall did well during his tenure. UH showed no respect for what he accomplished...he won with tons of injuries to key players and went to 2 bowl games.

I strongly disagree with NC being the best option...as stated early I favored Dirk. I think it was clear that NC was on the ride down the roller coaster and not up given recent stints. People live in the past, NC was good when the proset was the "it" system while at BYU for instance and as far as SC, my grandma @ OC could win some games.

*UCLA finishing ranked 116th out of 120 teams nationally
* Titan 21st overall in total offense, with a total of nine touchdown passes
(2007)

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I don't disagree with you on Chow. I would say that you are right (that he was already on the down side). See it from the "decision makers" point of view (who ever they were). When you spit out resume and names like BYU, and USC, etc, NFL, etc. I think they would consider Chow to a good candidate. I'll admit too, I was persuaded by media and hype. From what was "presented" to the common guy, Chow "was" a good choice.

I totally understand how people felt today about Chow, but I was thinking of back then...."How did UH able to get a guy like Chow?" or "Why would Chow choose Hawaii...we must be lucky."

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote:I don't disagree with you on Chow. I would say that you are right (that he was already on the down side). See it from the "decision makers" point of view (who ever they were). When you spit out resume and names like BYU, and USC, etc, NFL, etc. I think they would consider Chow to a good candidate. I'll admit too, I was persuaded by media and hype. From what was "presented" to the common guy, Chow "was" a good choice.

I totally understand how people felt today about Chow, but I was thinking of back then...."How did UH able to get a guy like Chow?" or "Why would Chow choose Hawaii...we must be lucky."
Back then, I knew a lot of guys who didn't want Chow and thought there were better options.
ImageImage