Offensive Fixes, for current scheme

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Offensive Fixes, for current scheme

Post by Exiled »

I get what Bailey is doing with this version of the spread. He is essentially dictating match-ups with his alignment of the recievers and tight ends. And attacks defenses with a quick pass game as the base offense. The objective in the passing game is two fold: 1. quickly determine man or zone based on who lines up on the TE, when the TE is split wide. If it is a line backer, then it's man and possibly a mis-match with a guy like Unga 2. With Pedroza and Kemp often aligning inside, this creates space and pressures the corner/safety to cover with less predictable routes. As for the running game, the wide splits and the pressure of the passing game is supposed to open up lanes for the run.

Some problems.
OSU, UW, and to some degree Col. are very talented teams and were able to use man coverage for most of the game. And when there was success to the wideouts, defenses would go cover 2, man under. There is no fear of a run game against a 5 man box. Add the pressure of the RBs (namely, Harris) not being able to pick up blitzes. Plus, the quick passing attack is susceptible to zone blitzes, since Wittek seems to make one pre-snap read and stare down the receiver. This may also be a lack of trust that the pocket will hold for the QB to check off to the 2-4th receivers on crossing routes.

As for the lack of the running game, with no real pressure to sit back in coverage, because the talent faced so far, defenses could use a 6 man box to stop the inside zone or power runs. The center does not recognize the 2nd level defenders well and often wiffs on blocks or just misses the assignment. When there is a counter, wham, run with the TE as an extra blocker, it is obvious since it is run out of the same formation or alignment. When TE lines up in the wing, right off the tackle, it is either a power run or play action pass. The run game is just not consistent enough for defenses to account for it.

Some solutions:
Use more motion and misdirection. There are some packaged plays that have been used in short yardage, but, why not more regularly. For example, I already know that Bailey is going to motion Pedroza or #84 to a bunch formation and run a pick into the flat when it is 3rd and short. The TE/Slots, could motion across the formation and, instead of running a route on a pass play, block the backside edge defender on zone runs. Motion could be used for misdirection, like fake a jet sweep just to freeze 2nd level defenders on inside runs. Heck, why not use Ewaliko/Collie to run sweeps?

How about something other than a play action pass, when the TE is in the wing? Just run the normal pass concepts from different formations, not just personnel alignment. The bunch / tight formations add a new dimension for our man-beater routes, instead of relying on slants or the stick concept. Plus, the bunch / tight formations will make the run game more effective.

And lastly, if you are going to run the zone read, run the zone read... in other words, the QB has to keep the ball and run. It is too easy for the edge defenders to crash down if there is no threat to the outside when UH is in a spread formation; at least run an outside zone play if a jet sweep is not in the play book. If the QB is not a run threat, you have to run draws and screens.

Anyways, I like to critique the offense based on what I see being used rather than criticize one philosophy with another.

P.s. this seems rambling because I have a nasty cold and cannot put together clear, concise, and cogent sentences...

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Offensive Fixes, for current scheme

Post by My3Cats »

Makes sense to me. Good analysis.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

+ Adding WR double moves to keep the D honest. Where are the back shoulder throws I saw in the fall practices?

Adding the shovel pass, counters and reverses also slow down the DEs.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

There was one back shoulder throw that Wittek attempted but I forget who the receiver was, Kemp? turned inside and the ball sailed outside. Even the play by play announcer called it a back shoulder throw before the ball went out of bounds. If the receiver turned it would have been a nice completion.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

My3Cats wrote:There was one back shoulder throw that Wittek attempted but I forget who the receiver was, Kemp? turned inside and the ball sailed outside. Even the play by play announcer called it a back shoulder throw before the ball went out of bounds. If the receiver turned it would have been a nice completion.
Yeah, it was Kemp. That's the kind of thing that can be fixed, as the timing between QB and WR gets better. Where the ball was thrown, though, I'd put that on Kemp. He needs to know where the first down is and be ready for the ball. He made a similar mistake against OSU on a 2 and 8; ball hit him right in the hands and he flat dropped it.

Something on the timing needs to be fixed. Either the recievers are not running decisively enough or Wittek has thrown too early due to pressure. Clearly, Wittek and Pedroza has got something going. Hopefully, the others will develop similarly.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Exiled wrote:
My3Cats wrote:There was one back shoulder throw that Wittek attempted but I forget who the receiver was, Kemp? turned inside and the ball sailed outside. Even the play by play announcer called it a back shoulder throw before the ball went out of bounds. If the receiver turned it would have been a nice completion.
Yeah, it was Kemp. That's the kind of thing that can be fixed, as the timing between QB and WR gets better. Where the ball was thrown, though, I'd put that on Kemp. He needs to know where the first down is and be ready for the ball. He made a similar mistake against OSU on a 2 and 8; ball hit him right in the hands and he flat dropped it.

Something on the timing needs to be fixed. Either the recievers are not running decisively enough or Wittek has thrown too early due to pressure. Clearly, Wittek and Pedroza has got something going. Hopefully, the others will develop similarly.
From what I remember, the throw would have been right on the money if Kemp turned to the sideline rather than into the field.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Exiled wrote:

The inconsistent routes and QB/WR misreads have been a plague since NC took over. Is it bad coaching or players not performing, perhaps a combo? Another constant is WRs running a 5 yd route on 3rd down when they need more than that for a first down. Seriously, that Pop Warner stuff.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

My3Cats wrote:
Exiled wrote:

From what I remember, the throw would have been right on the money if Kemp turned to the sideline rather than into the field.
Not sure why he'd turn to the inside as it bring the CB into the play...SMH

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I am not very knowledgeable in Bailey's offense and what the philosophy is, but one thing I don't like is how we push the tempo but then run right up the gut a lot. If we are wanting to play uptempo and wear the defense out, we need to test the edges a little more and try to get the ball out in space and make the defense run from side to side if we want to really get the most out of pushing the tempo on them.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I'm not familiar with Bailey's offensive schemes were when he was at Idaho State, but the plays that he is calling sure smells like Chow-style plays. I don't think that Chow will ever let Bailey run Bailey's true schemes and just has to interfere with the game planning.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

After last night's debacle, I don't think that there is any kind of fix for this offense.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

There's only one fix that might work. Replace Chow.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Pretty much expected what has happened so far. Did not expect much this past week because at this point Boise is probably peaking and was the best team we have played so far. It would be nice if we could win a few more games but we would have to score to do that. I hope to see some changes. This back to the same old grind is not working.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

RedZone wrote:Pretty much expected what has happened so far. Did not expect much this past week because at this point Boise is probably peaking and was the best team we have played so far. It would be nice if we could win a few more games but we would have to score to do that. I hope to see some changes. This back to the same old grind is not working.
Did you really expect the Warriors not to score at all? In all three road games and go 0-121?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

RedZone wrote:Pretty much expected what has happened so far. Did not expect much this past week because at this point Boise is probably peaking and was the best team we have played so far. It would be nice if we could win a few more games but we would have to score to do that. I hope to see some changes. This back to the same old grind is not working.

Coaching and playing has been pathetic. I am not expecting much for the rest of the year. This is becoming a sad and painful "ground hogs day" bc you know what's going to happen even though you hope it will change.