Are u Kidding Me? Horrific Coaching. Your Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Are u Kidding Me? Horrific Coaching. Your Thoughts?

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote:I think Woolsey should have been the starting QB. Matt Wittek is the better player. Just look at him. Look at his form and throws. However, he has look like a player that is still rusty, with great talent and potential. And often times, lost.

Woolsey got his experience last year. He was the starter. There is no doubt that he would have been better this year than last year. And continue to grow as a QB. By Senior year, could be something special. In this case, we'll never know. If he is the QB next year, he will look lost and rusty. I had thought that letting a Sophomore be your starting QB was an investment in the future. So who will be the QB next year? Rinse and repeat, same.
I do not support IW as a starting QB, however, he should have been inserted into the OSU and last weeks game in the late 3rd/ early 4th qtr to see if he could provide a spark.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Egonator wrote:Well in defending Chow Hawaii hasn't fared any better with the big schools during the June Jones and Mack Era. Remember the 51-10 Loss vs Wisconsin in 2009? Or 41-10 vs Georgia in the Sugar Bowl? Hawaii is a mid tier college and that's it. They will upset a big school now and then but it's not going to be the norm.
BUT, As for the play calling it seems to get worst with every passing week. We are slowly going back to the Pro Style Offense with blocking schemes designed for runs up the middle... which fails 95% of the time. Remember the shovel pass Brennan always used to do? Chow should try and implement that in his offense. The team looked good vs Colorado opening up the field but now its back to the same ineffective plays

The biggest difference to me is the adjustments JJ/Mack's teams made during the game and the fact that the offense always posed a threat to score. If we are being honest, that's never been true in NC era. NC and his coaches have their game plan carved in stone, hence they cannot be changed.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote:
cabanalane wrote:I think Woolsey should have been the starting QB. Matt Wittek is the better player. Just look at him. Look at his form and throws. However, he has look like a player that is still rusty, with great talent and potential. And often times, lost.

Woolsey got his experience last year. He was the starter. There is no doubt that he would have been better this year than last year. And continue to grow as a QB. By Senior year, could be something special. In this case, we'll never know. If he is the QB next year, he will look lost and rusty. I had thought that letting a Sophomore be your starting QB was an investment in the future. So who will be the QB next year? Rinse and repeat, same.
Watched Woosley in practice and NO. He would limit the offense more than it already is.
I also have not seem much improvement in IW, but would like to see him get a chance when the game is out of reach. Maybe a switch goes on and he palys better?

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Grinch wrote:We have the talent - 6'3 and 6'4 135 lb linebackers; Kennedy and Shawley in D-line; big olinemen; good receivers; running backs.
{CORRECTION}

There are a few decent LBs...Tavai is going to be a stud one day...but there are still speed deficiencies, missed tackles and not getting off blocks.

I like thr D line...would benefit from more stunts, twists to free up KT.

The big OL men miss a ton of blocks in the running game...outright missing assignments.

Poor RBs are grinded into running into walls...stilll in search of an RB who a runing threat and can block.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

At least make adjustments to satisfy the home fans and make the game more palatable! You've got nothing to lose when you're expected to, AND getting your butt kicked. We support the players, but the coaches need to do a better job with play calling and personnel. If Wisconsin's jumbo package is rolling the D and you don't want to supplement the run defense with another D-lineman, at the very least walk the SS down into the box for support.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

Palolo_2LA wrote:
Egonator wrote:Well in defending Chow Hawaii hasn't fared any better with the big schools during the June Jones and Mack Era. Remember the 51-10 Loss vs Wisconsin in 2009? Or 41-10 vs Georgia in the Sugar Bowl? Hawaii is a mid tier college and that's it. They will upset a big school now and then but it's not going to be the norm.
BUT, As for the play calling it seems to get worst with every passing week. We are slowly going back to the Pro Style Offense with blocking schemes designed for runs up the middle... which fails 95% of the time. Remember the shovel pass Brennan always used to do? Chow should try and implement that in his offense. The team looked good vs Colorado opening up the field but now its back to the same ineffective plays

The biggest difference to me is the adjustments JJ/Mack's teams made during the game and the fact that the offense always posed a threat to score. If we are being honest, that's never been true in NC era. NC and his coaches have their game plan carved in stone, hence they cannot be changed.

JJ made adjustments really well. But, man how soon we forget. Mack's teams almost always lost the 3rd Q! His teams started good then devolved throughout the game. Even Brian Harisn acknowledged, not ironically, that UH adjusts well after the half. If Boise's coach can respect that, then I can.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

MauiGuy wrote:At least make adjustments to satisfy the home fans and make the game more palatable! You've got nothing to lose when you're expected to, AND getting your butt kicked. We support the players, but the coaches need to do a better job with play calling and personnel. If Wisconsin's jumbo package is rolling the D and you don't want to supplement the run defense with another D-lineman, at the very least walk the SS down into the box for support.
Right...or a rover type or extra LB.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Exiled wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:

JJ made adjustments really well. But, man how soon we forget. Mack's teams almost always lost the 3rd Q! His teams started good then devolved throughout the game. Even Brian Harisn acknowledged, not ironically, that UH adjusts well after the half. If Boise's coach can respect that, then I can.
My friend I think the coach was playing nice. Afterall, if it wasnt for our DC he probably would not be where he is today.

I have not seem major adjustments for 4 years.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Grading the coaching and teams for Boise game is easy... Hawaii F- and Boise A+

The offense has major issues against elite talent like Ohio State, Wisconsin and Boise State.

Max Wittek- B For the most part Wittek is making the right reads, right throw and putting a catchable ball accurately to the WR's. The WR/TE Corps is not going to get any faster speed wise, so they need to do some soul searching and toughen up and catch some balls in traffic, rip the ball out of the air while strongly pull in the ball while a defender draped all over them, since they lack elite speed and quickness running correctly read crisp routes will help get separation. Everyone knows proper footwork and technique equalizes most talent and the a breakdown in footwork and technique will doom a team.

O line- C As a unit played average could be better.

All the WR's and Tight Ends- F- The WR/TE need to work on getting separation and catching the ball and running the right routes!!!!! The drop passes that hit them right in the hands happen way to frequently with this WR/TE corp.

Running Backs- D+ Need to pick up the blitz and hold a block!

The defense got exposed by Boise State... the elite talent Boise State has showed... the Boise O line whipped the Hawaii D line in the trenches. The freshman QB Rypien had all day to throw the ball and the Boise RB had a pretty easy day running that ball.

D Line- D Couldn't get pressure on QB and got pushed around.

LB and Secondary- F- Got beat and Got beat down by Boise WR and TE Corps.

Special Teams B

Coaching F- Norm Chow, Don Bailey and Thom Mason got out coached by the Boise State coaches.

The competition for the rest of the schedule gets a little easier but the Hawaii WR/TE corps could be the weakness that hands wins to opponents.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

WarriorTyme wrote:Grading the coaching and teams for Boise game is easy... Hawaii F- and Boise A+

The offense has major issues against elite talent like Ohio State, Wisconsin and Boise State.

Max Wittek- B For the most part Wittek is making the right reads, right throw and putting a catchable ball accurately to the WR's. The WR/TE Corps is not going to get any faster speed wise, so they need to do some soul searching and toughen up and catch some balls in traffic, rip the ball out of the air while strongly pull in the ball while a defender draped all over them, since they lack elite speed and quickness running correctly read crisp routes will help get separation. Everyone knows proper footwork and technique equalizes most talent and the a breakdown in footwork and technique will doom a team.

O line- C As a unit played average could be better.

All the WR's and Tight Ends- F- The WR/TE need to work on getting separation and catching the ball and running the right routes!!!!! The drop passes that hit them right in the hands happen way to frequently with this WR/TE corp.

Running Backs- D+ Need to pick up the blitz and hold a block!

The defense got exposed by Boise State... the elite talent Boise State has showed... the Boise O line whipped the Hawaii D line in the trenches. The freshman QB Rypien had all day to throw the ball and the Boise RB had a pretty easy day running that ball.

D Line- D Couldn't get pressure on QB and got pushed around.

LB and Secondary- F- Got beat and Got beat down by Boise WR and TE Corps.

Special Teams B

Coaching F- Norm Chow, Don Bailey and Thom Mason got out coached by the Boise State coaches.

The competition for the rest of the schedule gets a little easier but the Hawaii WR/TE corps could be the weakness that hands wins to opponents.
Here is my 2 cents...the sad part is nothing is going to change. The fans were promised an attacking D...have we seeing that? NO! The fans saw a pass happy O this weekend and obviously the talent and the scheme do not match.

QB > Solid D...misses some throws by a mile, throws behind or in front of receivers and looks WRs down

OL > C- ...they are pushed around on the outside way too much

WR/TE> D-...many drops or miscommunication with QB, bad route running and do not attack the ball

RBs > C- ...not their fault the OC runs them into a brick wall... but the blocking and cut backs/lateral movement needs to be fixed

DL > C-...they made a few plays, but against a shout OL, it showed the DC needed more exotic stunts, blitzes.

LB > D...Can't contain and fill gaps.

DBs > D- ...They were torched...equally blame DC calls for coverage and the bad coverage

Coaches > F...Embarrassing game