What's up with Kapolei football???

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: What's up with Kapolei football???

Post by gridiron22 »

Agree I think DH should go with broadcasting he has a special talent for that. I dont recall him sending much kids to College while at Campbell, I think Kapolei by default will have D1 talent regardless of who is coaching. Its the "New Second city" exploding population.

There is a member here on this board that was ranting about Ryder Kuhns losing his starting QB position at St. Louis last year to Tagovailoa, it could have gone either way but I think Tua was and is a great QB. Now that the father is OC at Kapolei he seems to be pushing his freshman son in as starter over Savea. It can go either way as they both seem just mediocre but I still think seniority should win out when there is not a big gap in skill.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

DH knows his X's & O's and is very passionate anout the sport however it does not translate when it comes to the battlefield. I personally feel his teams have always under achieved and dont see it ever changing until he is removed.

His huge upside is he gets his players to the next level and that alone will keep him put. He spends hours talking to college programs, sending videos, promoting his kids and for majority of the parents that is all they really care about. State title is good, free education is great!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

halaokolele wrote:DH knows his X's & O's and is very passionate anout the sport however it does not translate when it comes to the battlefield. I personally feel his teams have always under achieved and dont see it ever changing until he is removed.

His huge upside is he gets his players to the next level and that alone will keep him put. He spends hours talking to college programs, sending videos, promoting his kids and for majority of the parents that is all they really care about. State title is good, free education is great!
@halaokolele: Well, if Hernandez is doing all that, then we have to hand it to him. All of that, isn't a requirement of the job, right? I remember the late-'70s, when for the most part, a high-school football coach just coached, and that was it. He wasn't also a college recruiter/agent at the same time.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

bang bang
Pesi Savea Jr
‏@savea79
The only reason that little boy the QB for Kapolei is because his daddy is the OC and he will do anything for his boy to get a spotlight
https://twitter.com/savea79/status/638210141305724928

Congrats HAWAII PREP WORLD on yet again messing up a story, the only reason my brother went to Safety is because the OC wanted his son at QB
https://twitter.com/savea79/status/638210785433403392

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

^ Sad but True, I see it everywhere and in every sport. Want to look out for the best interest of your child? Become the coach and make the decisions.
Their father is smart, he coached them in little league and is following them in High School to be sure they get the playing time necessary. Cant knock them for that
it really looks like its paying off because Tua at St. Louis is tearing it up and the Freshman brother at Kapolei looks to have some potential.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Isn't Ezra Savea's dad an assistant coach at Kapolei? From what I have seen of Savea (Campbel's qb last year and so far this year at Kapolei) I don't believe that being a qb at the next level is in his cards. He is a big boy and only a junior so he might think of putting on some weight and join Pesi as an offensive lineman or maybe a TE . If he going to remain at receiver he is gonna have to improve his hands (he dropped a couple against Mililani) and get faster. Ezra might also consider looking a playing at safety. Ezra's younger brother is a stud linebacker for Kapolei.

Tagovailoa is only a freshman but I feel is the better qb.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

BowTow wrote:Isn't Ezra Savea's dad an assistant coach at Kapolei? From what I have seen of Savea (Campbel's qb last year and so far this year at Kapolei) I don't believe that being a qb at the next level is in his cards. He is a big boy and only a junior so he might think of putting on some weight and join Pesi as an offensive lineman or maybe a TE . If he going to remain at receiver he is gonna have to improve his hands (he dropped a couple against Mililani) and get faster. Ezra might also consider looking a playing at safety. Ezra's younger brother is a stud linebacker for Kapolei.

Tagovailoa is only a freshman but I feel is the better qb.
I agree. I like Tagovailoa as their qb. Will be interesting to see his development in the next 4 years. I like Savea as either a receiver (needs to work on hands) or as a Defensive player.

footballfan4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfan4life »

Looks like the offense has found its groove. One QB and all receivers finally healthy. Still going to take a little time to gel but should make playoffs. The defense has to change dramatically though. There is absolutely no adjustment making by the DC at all. If this team wants to do something in the playoffs, then someone has to make the DC swallow his pride and use the talent he has better. Absolutely no blitz at all from 3 DL(who got double teamed by 5 OL and 1 RB) made Milton have one of his best games ever. Numbers game here. 3 cannot and will not beat 6. Fantastic job by Mililani. They saw a weakness and exploited it by putting their foot on the gas pedal and not looking back. Football 101. Starting to believe that any kid who plays Madden football can put together a better defensive package than the DC. Hopefully the second half of the season can bring about an early Christmas present and make the coaches grow a heart like the Grinch did. Cant hurt to dream.

fballnutbag

Post by fballnutbag »

2k_Hawaii wrote:bang bang
Pesi Savea Jr
‏@savea79
The only reason that little boy the QB for Kapolei is because his daddy is the OC and he will do anything for his boy to get a spotlight
https://twitter.com/savea79/status/638210141305724928

Congrats HAWAII PREP WORLD on yet again messing up a story, the only reason my brother went to Safety is because the OC wanted his son at QB
https://twitter.com/savea79/status/638210785433403392

Unfortunately, this family does bad with social media. I saved the Dad's (who coaches at Kapolei) rant last season on Facebook on Amosa and Campbell. Something about a drug test, yada yada yada. The family is really talented and should just stick to becoming great players. They are very talented. Mom is a Satele. I think they had a sister that played volleyball and was a Fab 15. BUT, when a family member is talked about in a non positive way, the WHOLE family comes on social media. Sad, because the kids are studs.

With that said, I think Ezra's future is not at QB but at LB or FS. Similar to Campbell last season, he is good, but not a QB. The Freshman is good, not matter if his Dad was OC, actually, his Dad being OC was the tie breaker.

And, I think DH is one of the best broadcasters. He makes more doing that than 3 coaches salaries! I believe his son is at Columbia University, so those broadcasts help!

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

footballfan4life wrote:Looks like the offense has found its groove. One QB and all receivers finally healthy. Still going to take a little time to gel but should make playoffs. The defense has to change dramatically though. There is absolutely no adjustment making by the DC at all. If this team wants to do something in the playoffs, then someone has to make the DC swallow his pride and use the talent he has better. Absolutely no blitz at all from 3 DL(who got double teamed by 5 OL and 1 RB) made Milton have one of his best games ever. Numbers game here. 3 cannot and will not beat 6. Fantastic job by Mililani. They saw a weakness and exploited it by putting their foot on the gas pedal and not looking back. Football 101. Starting to believe that any kid who plays Madden football can put together a better defensive package than the DC. Hopefully the second half of the season can bring about an early Christmas present and make the coaches grow a heart like the Grinch did. Cant hurt to dream.
Who knows what the DC was thinking. To me, imho, it appears he decided to focus on stopping the pass since they did a pretty decent job against the run. But, u give any qb (in any system) that much time to throw, u put ur D at a disadvantage. Sooo, unless u have above avg secondary, milton just went to work.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

footballfan4life wrote:Looks like the offense has found its groove. One QB and all receivers finally healthy. Still going to take a little time to gel but should make playoffs. The defense has to change dramatically though. There is absolutely no adjustment making by the DC at all. If this team wants to do something in the playoffs, then someone has to make the DC swallow his pride and use the talent he has better. Absolutely no blitz at all from 3 DL(who got double teamed by 5 OL and 1 RB) made Milton have one of his best games ever. Numbers game here. 3 cannot and will not beat 6. Fantastic job by Mililani. They saw a weakness and exploited it by putting their foot on the gas pedal and not looking back. Football 101. Starting to believe that any kid who plays Madden football can put together a better defensive package than the DC. Hopefully the second half of the season can bring about an early Christmas present and make the coaches grow a heart like the Grinch did. Cant hurt to dream.
@footballfan4life: Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but apparently the Kapolei DC was so afraid of Mililani's passing game that he dropped eight players back into pass coverage. A couple of guys have said the way to shut-down Mililani is to blitz, but they forget that Mililani also has the best RB in the state, Malepeai.