What's up with Kapolei football???

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

What's up with Kapolei football???

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Any ideas? Maybe time for a coaching change? Don't get me wrong, I like DH.
Maybe recruiting by other schools affecting 'Canes??

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What's up with Kapolei football???

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote:Any ideas? Maybe time for a coaching change? Don't get me wrong, I like DH.
Maybe recruiting by other schools affecting 'Canes??
@rrforlifebaby: I guess I found it a little humorous and ironic that a thread should be started about what's up with Kapolei football, when we recently saw a thread about what's up with McKinley football. McKinley football, I think, is in desperate straits, while Kapolei football is so much better. Certainly, Kapolei has a larger enrollment and more football talent than McKinley. So, while Kapolei's football team isn't doing badly, I guess you imply that they should be doing better, given the school's enrollment.
Regarding recruiting, it seems very likely that Mililani and Campbell must be recruiting talent away from Kapolei. If I'm not mistaken, Mililani and Campbell are the schools closest to Kapolei that have good football teams. Waipahu is in the general area too, right? But Waipahu's football teams haven't been doing well for several years, so I'd be surprised if Kapolei players were defecting to Waipahu. Are private schools like Punahou and St Louis, stealing players from Kapolei? Or, is it Hernandez's play-calling? Perhaps it's his OC and/or DC?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Im just curious cause its not like the 'canes are lacking in talent.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote:Im just curious cause its not like the 'canes are lacking in talent.
@rrforlifebaby: Nor are they lacking in size. Remember their O-line last year? Those weren't kids who were just fat; those were big, tall kids. I recall guys saying their O-line looked like a college line.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:Im just curious cause its not like the 'canes are lacking in talent.
@rrforlifebaby: Nor are they lacking in size. Remember their O-line last year? Those weren't kids who were just fat; those were big, tall kids. I recall guys saying their O-line looked like a college line.
Yup. Last years oline was massive.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Parents don't give a second thought about playing for the home school, in fact it's a goal to get your kid into private schools where the intensity level of the sport and academics are high. Like minded parents and kids striving to be the best and that is where all the elite athletes from Ewa/Kapolei are at. In public schools you have parents that don't care and kids that will pull your child down to lower levels. I heard from one of the parent's of a Kapolei football player that the intensity of most, not all, but most of the kids are just not there. They are just going through the motions and don't realize their own potential, no off-season training, no support from the parent's.

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

It's quite the opposite, Kapolei is a team loaded with transfers from schools surrounding them. DH doesn't recruit, but rather has a great system of promoting players
for the next level, hence the high number of transfers on their team this season. Just looking at their season thus far, what has killed them has been some schematic issues on defense compounded by turnovers on offense. The talent is on the field, but the play has been subpar thus far. Still early in the season, I think the Canes will be the 3 or 4 seed in the blue heading into the playoffs.

I also think approaching their QB situation by having a 2 QB system has been disastrous for them as it eliminated any type of continuity you would want in a Run and Shoot style offense. They need to decide on who will be their Number 1 guy, and stick with him. (between Savea and Tagovailua)

I see a few players from Campbell and Nanakuli, two school in the same geographical area, this is due to parents sending their sons their due to the potential of garnering interest to play at the next level.

I personally respect DH and think he just has to tighten up a few bolts and screws to get that ship back on track heading into the back end of their schedule.

Campbell and Kapolei in that Blue Division has had arguably a tough opening schedule, these teams may, if the coaching staffs can make the necessary adjustments and progression, peak towards the end of the season.

footballfan4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfan4life »

Problem with Kapolei is that the new coaches are giving the transfers the starting positions. The new additions were to add depth and increase firepower, not replace the starters. Running two QB ' s does not make a fluid offense. Find one QB and stick with him. Defensive issues are taking a toll. How can #96 on the DL go from lineman of the year for Kapolei, OIA Allstar, and Cover 2 lineman watch list to sitting the bench during practice and gametime. What is going on here. Kids that were here all 4 years and consistently produce cant even be captains their senior year due to transfers filling that role. These new coaches need to play the best players, not just their sons, nephews, cousins, etc. I've been to many practices and parents are extremely upset. It's so sad and selfish what these coaches are letting their players down. It is really heartbreaking to see kids watch their senior season get taken from them.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

footballfan4life wrote:Problem with Kapolei is that the new coaches are giving the transfers the starting positions. The new additions were to add depth and increase firepower, not replace the starters. Running two QB ' s does not make a fluid offense. Find one QB and stick with him. Defensive issues are taking a toll. How can #96 on the DL go from lineman of the year for Kapolei, OIA Allstar, and Cover 2 lineman watch list to sitting the bench during practice and gametime. What is going on here. Kids that were here all 4 years and consistently produce cant even be captains their senior year due to transfers filling that role. These new coaches need to play the best players, not just their sons, nephews, cousins, etc. I've been to many practices and parents are extremely upset. It's so sad and selfish what these coaches are letting their players down. It is really heartbreaking to see kids watch their senior season get taken from them.
Not only have I heard that but I can see it too. Sad for those kids. I question the motive behind the 2 qb system also only because I see that the freshman is the coaches son.
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

Hernandez is the problem. He should not be allowed to announcing football games on OC16 while being a head football coach at the same time. He clearly doesn't have his priorities straight.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

footballfan4life wrote:Problem with Kapolei is that the new coaches are giving the transfers the starting positions. The new additions were to add depth and increase firepower, not replace the starters. Running two QB ' s does not make a fluid offense. Find one QB and stick with him. Defensive issues are taking a toll. How can #96 on the DL go from lineman of the year for Kapolei, OIA Allstar, and Cover 2 lineman watch list to sitting the bench during practice and gametime. What is going on here. Kids that were here all 4 years and consistently produce cant even be captains their senior year due to transfers filling that role. These new coaches need to play the best players, not just their sons, nephews, cousins, etc. I've been to many practices and parents are extremely upset. It's so sad and selfish what these coaches are letting their players down. It is really heartbreaking to see kids watch their senior season get taken from them.
@footballfan4life: Yeah, the politics in high-school football can get really distracting and distressing. It seems that at just about every school, you hear murmurs about favoritism towards certain players, or personality conflicts between coaches and players. Heck, there are sometimes even blow-ups between members of the coaching staff. If it's any consolation to Kapolei parents, I know of one school in the ILH--(the name of which shall go unmentioned)--at which the seniors almost always start, even if there are juniors who are better at the positions.

footballfan4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfan4life »

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with playing your best players. That's part of the game. But this situation is beyond being blatant. The best kids are not all on the field. This can still be fixed, but the egos will have to be hurt. Lots of kids want to play at the next level and Coach Hernandez does more than expected in finding places for these kids. That's what we should all want as parents and coaches. But not at the expense of sacrificing players who deserve more.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

footballfan4life wrote:Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with playing your best players. That's part of the game. But this situation is beyond being blatant. The best kids are not all on the field. This can still be fixed, but the egos will have to be hurt. Lots of kids want to play at the next level and Coach Hernandez does more than expected in finding places for these kids. That's what we should all want as parents and coaches. But not at the expense of sacrificing players who deserve more.
@footballfan4life: But you see, the same thing is going-on at the ILH school I had alluded to. The best kids are not all on the field, because of the bias in favor of seniors.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

overrated every year. no disrespect but they always have these 3-4 star prospects, i can't recall any of them panning on at their D1 school.

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

2k_Hawaii wrote:overrated every year. no disrespect but they always have these 3-4 star prospects, i can't recall any of them panning on at their D1 school.
Agreed. The Hurricanes are heavily overrated. I remember I was watching their homecoming game that was being televised a couple seasons back and saw how poorly coached and pathetic this team was. They were lucky, barley beating Aiea that game at home 14-7 I think, not sure because I don't remember.