unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by saynotomercs »

Aitorahi wrote:
unpaid wrote:Do not underestimate Mililani's defense. They are better than they get credit for here on this board. If Coach York finds something lacking on the D,he will motivate the defensive players like he did in the Kapolei game.

When playoff time comes ,expect them to be dialed in on both sides of the ball.
Mililani did give up nearly 400 yards passing against Kapolei, with a majority of that in the first half against 1st team defense when the game was still competitive. I would call their defense slightly above average. If an opposing defense can keep the Trojans offense somewhere around 20 points or under, then they can be beat. That is not an easy task, but both the Govs and the Red Raiders did it last year.
I think 30 should be the goal. Mililani can be scored on.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Do not underestimate Mililani's defense. They are better than they get credit for here on this board. If Coach York finds something lacking on the D,he will motivate the defensive players like he did in the Kapolei game.

@unpaid: OK, but who does Mililani have on D? Do they have any outstanding players? I've heard about Padello's brother, on the line. Anyone else? I mean, it's one thing to have your D "dialed-in," but how good are they? Does Mililani have any blue-chippers on D?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote:

Mililani did give up nearly 400 yards passing against Kapolei, with a majority of that in the first half against 1st team defense when the game was still competitive. I would call their defense slightly above average. If an opposing defense can keep the Trojans offense somewhere around 20 points or under, then they can be beat. That is not an easy task, but both the Govs and the Red Raiders did it last year.
@Aitorahi: 400 passing yards by Kapolei. That doesn't bode well for Mililani's D, particularly if those yards came against their first team. Imagine what strong passing teams like St Louis could do to them?
We know that Kahuku has a solid D. As for Farrington, well, if Moanalua passed them silly, so can Mililani, obviously. I think someone on this thread said Farrington's pass-D blows (as a result of the Moanalua game).

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

It would've been interesting if Tua was at Mater Dei, which tried to recruit him out of St. Louis!

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

it would have been interesting if tua was at campbel, but no he got recruted by stluois
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:it would have been interesting if tua was at campbel, but no he got recruted by stluois
@huki-lau-lau: OK, Tagovailoa's younger brother is the Kapolei QB because hid dad is an assistant football coach there. But you're saying that if Tua weren't recruited by St Louis, he'd be playing for Campbell? So, he lives in Campbell's district? But wouldn't his dad have sent him to Kapolei also?

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

huki-lau-lau wrote:it would have been interesting if tua was at campbel, but no he got recruted by stluois
I'm assuming this is a joke...but if it isn't-

does this mean that private schools don't have the right to have a good team? Are you saying that Tua couldn't make it into Saint Louis on his own academic accord? Are you saying that only the upper-middle class and richer have the right to attend private schools?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

no joke imagine cambel would be in state tourney evey year if there talent stayed home
-------------------

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HSFootballFanatic,

Kaimana Padello is a speed rusher off the end like his older brother. MJ Tanuvasa is Ma'a Tanuvasa's son and seems to have the same ability as his heralded father,but at 6-1 180 he may be a little light for college ,but he is OK for high school, and he can fill out in a year or two for college. One of the DL from last year got moved over to the OL. A couple of the DB's are playing well.

As for being blue-chippers,which in my mind means you have to be rated no less than 4-5 stars by several of the recruiting services,I would truthfully say that none of the Trojans I have mentioned are blue-chippers,but the season is young and those services haven'T come out with their year-end ratings for prospects yet.

I know that Iosefa and Slade-Matautia are good players for St.Louis,and are highly thought of ,but, are they blue-chippers currently? I am not sure that they are 4 or 5-stars right now at the beginning of the season either.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I am not convinced that St.Louis is decisively better on defense than Mililani is based on game results or national recruiting service star-rankings just yet.

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

unpaid wrote:HSFootballFanatic,

Kaimana Padello is a speed rusher off the end like his older brother. MJ Tanuvasa is Ma'a Tanuvasa's son and seems to have the same ability as his heralded father,but at 6-1 180 he may be a little light for college ,but he is OK for high school, and he can fill out in a year or two for college. One of the DL from last year got moved over to the OL. A couple of the DB's are playing well.

As for being blue-chippers,which in my mind means you have to be rated no less than 4-5 stars by several of the recruiting services,I would truthfully say that none of the Trojans I have mentioned are blue-chippers,but the season is young and those services haven'T come out with their year-end ratings for prospects yet.

I know that Iosefa and Slade-Matautia are good players for St.Louis,and are highly thought of ,but, are they blue-chippers currently? I am not sure that they are 4 or 5-stars right now at the beginning of the season either.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I am not convinced that St.Louis is decisively better on defense than Mililani is based on game results or national recruiting service star-rankings just yet.
Based of statistical averages per game, this is how the big six rank on the defensive side:

Pass Defense
1. Kamehameha (71)
2. Kahuku (75.3)
3. Punahou (145)
4. Farrington (224.3)
5. Mililani (226.3)
6. St. Louis (226.5)

Run Defense
1. Kahuku (-1.5)
2. Mililani (13.7)
3. Punahou (26)
4. Farrington (48)
5. Kamemeha (56)
6. St. Louis (75)

I know the numbers are a reflection of who the teams have played, but these are the numbers so far.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid: By "blue-chippers," I mean "outstanding," but not necessarily four- or five-star.
I think we've all heard about St Louis' LBs, and I do suspect that they're the best in the state. As for the rest of St Louis' D, I don't know. But really, with those LBs, I would say St Louis' D is probably better than Mililani's D.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote:

Based of statistical averages per game, this is how the big six rank on the defensive side:

Pass Defense
1. Kamehameha (71)
2. Kahuku (75.3)
3. Punahou (145)
4. Farrington (224.3)
5. Mililani (226.3)
6. St. Louis (226.5)

Run Defense
1. Kahuku (-1.5)
2. Mililani (13.7)
3. Punahou (26)
4. Farrington (48)
5. Kamemeha (56)
6. St. Louis (75)

I know the numbers are a reflection of who the teams have played, but these are the numbers so far.
@Aitorahi: Yeah, once the ILH regular season starts, I think Kamehameha will drop on pass-D. I just don't think their secondary is that good. They have a good D-line, probably the best in the ILH. Therefore, what's probably been happening so far is that their D-line has been generating a pass-rush good enough to keep the other teams' passing down. I suspect the D-line didn't get much help from the secondary.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Here is what I find really interesting about Aitorahi's defensive breakdown. St.Louis is dead last of the six contenders in both pass and rush defense. Mililani is next to last in one category and in the top three in the other category.

There are two teams in his defensive breakdown who are both in the top three in run and pass defense......Punahou and Kahuku.

Maybe all the hype about Mililani-St.Louis is misdirected. It could be that Punahou and Kahuku are going to be in the D-I championship game.

#LouGang
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #LouGang »

That defensive breakdown doesn't really do justice to defenses. I think we all agree that Kahuku is the best defensive team in Hawaii but i'd have Saint Louis as second and heres why. Saint Louis' defensive starters played probably about the first quarter and a half against fagaitua and about half of the Liberty game not to mention Luca and Isaiah Tufaga are yet to debut. Saint Louis could have easily shut out Liberty but the one score by fagaitua was just a good play.

#LouGang
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #LouGang »

Not to mention that Tua played about the first half of both games. When Tua is out the Saint Louis offense has a lot of quick 3 and outs which gives the opposing offense more time on the field. Just some food for thought.