unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

DA SCOUT wrote:Hopefully the crusaders have fixed their defensive woes of last season because they were absolutely horrible. I can't see how u can be saying best linebackers in the state and D line your going off of scout stars that means nothing you should know that . That's a tough feat to go from worst last year to best . They will rely heavily on their offense to out score opponents this year and hope the defense will bend not break to have any chances of winning states and nobody is talking about Kam always the dark horse the end had the best rushing defense in the state the last 4 years the OIA is lucky that they don't have 2 bids into states. Farrington got knocked around when they scrimmaged Kam
@DA SCOUT: If I could just jump-in here. Really, I too believe that St Louis has the best LBs, but I don't know about the down-linemen in front of them. I do think St Louis has the O to stay with anyone but Mililani. You've got Tagovailoa, whom I think is probably the best QB in the ILH. When Kobayashi gets healthy, he'll be the best receiver in the ILH. Finally, the only RB in the ILH better than Silofau is Punahou's Taulapapa.

I think the reason no one is talking about Kamehameha is that they have no running game and no secondary. And yes, despite Yam's heroics at QB, I think Kamehameha's strength is the D. In particular, I think they have the best D-line in the ILH. But, I think Kamehameha has to find a running game before it can even think about beating St Louis or Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @gopunahou: Well, after what Farrington did to Iolani, all Punahou needs is a week to prepare. Kamehameha was D1 state champ in '04, and I recall that they did dominate Punahou that year. As for '00 to '03, I can't remember. As for taking massive beatings from St Louis, well, that was the norm for every ILH team, except Kamehameha in '04. To be honest with you though, perhaps you can understand why guys might not have much sympathy for Punahou. For one, they dominate so many sports every year, there's probably a kind of schadenfreude that fans of other schools experience whenever Punahou loses in anything, especially football. For another, with Punahou's enrollment it's like, what's their excuse for losing so badly?
Really, when it comes to football, comparing Iolani to Punahou might be like comparing apples to oranges. I mean, I know they sound like excuses, but how do you ignore the difference in enrollment between the two schools? And of course, the lower enrollment generally always leads to a smaller roster. And yes, Iolani really doesn't usually have as many big kids as Punahou does. Sure, Iolani thrives in D1 basketball and baseball, but you can't compare either of those two sports to football. OK, Iolani does have a good D1-caliber football team on occasion, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule. I mean, look at this year. Iolani has its biggest O- and D-lines in years, and they have a good RB. They were ranked earlier in the season, but then they ran into a buzzsaw called Farrington. Are we sure we're not trying to force Iolani into D1, when it doesn't really belong there? Are we not trying to force a square peg into a round hole? And remember, we're considering only football, not other sports.
Are you saying that Iolani belongs in D2 where they can feast on teams like Anuenue and Pac-Five? If so, you must think St. Louis and Kahuku belong in D2 since they haven't got big enrollments. I love the analogy somebody made when they insisted that having Iolani play D2 teams is the equivalent of having UH play NFL teams. Bottom line: to even consider that Iolani does not belong in D1 is PREPOSTEROUS. Most people here don't think Iolani belongs in D1. Can you blame them? To even consider that having Iolani play at the D1 level is a mistake is PREPOSTEROUS (and insane if you'd like for me to use different adjectives). And please, HS Football Fanatic, don't give too much credence to rankings. Rankings are the opinions of people that hold no more water than our opinions do. If Iolani truly belongs in D2, OJ Simpson is an innocent man that's never committed murder.

@ Bullnuts808, I don't hate the whole school of Iolani. I've got a lot of music friends that are either Iolani grads or work in the Iolani music department. I also hope you are correct that Coach Look is the only one over there that thinks they are better off playing D2 teams. What does not help the perceptions of Iolani to me and lots of other people are the elitists that have either graduated from Iolani or are current students? Am I saying every Iolani graduate and current student is an elitist? HELL NO. But the reason some people feel animosity toward Iolani is the same reason some people have got a negative perception of Punahou. Look at 1808Anonymous's posts. That guy did Iolani a disservice when he seemed to come across as thinking he was better than everyone. And plus, when I say Iolani is capable of giving the bIg 3 a run for their money or even beating them, is that hating on them?
politclyincrekt wrote:I think all arguments of Iolani returning to Division II were squashed the second Iolani blanked Kealakehe. Regardless of how well (or poorly) Iolani performs against the Big 3, it is very clear that Iolani belongs in the Division I. Just because they lose badly to the likes of Punahou and St. Louis doesn't mean that they won't give Kaiser, Kailua, Moanalua, or even Waianae a run for their money. And after 2 or 3 seasons in Division I, the level of playing at Iolani will definitely rise. By blanking Kealakehe, Iolani proved that they are capable of competing with Division I talent (whether they are the BIIF champions or not this year, Kealakehe is always a contender for the Big Island's berth into states).

To say that they belong in Division II simply because they cannot compete with the teams in their conference is irresponsible. As a whole, Iolani is on par with most other Division I teams in the HHSAA. If Iolani moves down to Division II quickly (or even purposely), it'd be insulting to schools like Kailua, Castle, and Aiea who compete at the Division I level year in and year out even though they could easily relegate to Division II and do extremely well there.
HS Football Fanatic, you ought to read this if you think the ILH may have made a mistake by forcing Iolani to play at the D1 level. If Iolani were to play the Anuenues and Pac-Fives of the world, every game would be a blowout by more than 30 points. Every game. The gap between Iolani and teams like Anuenue and Pac-Five is much bigger than the gap between Iolani and teams like Punahou, Mililani, St. Louis, Kahuku, and Kamehameha. Period. PI said it best when he asserted "it'd be insulting to schools like Kailua, Castle, and 'Aiea, who compete at the D1 level year in and year out even though they could easily relegate to D2 and do extremely well there, if Iolani were to make excuses to go back to D2". There is no justification for having Iolani play teams that it's clearly better than. None. Finding a justification for making UH play NFL teams would be easier than finding a justification for having Iolani go back to D2. Good thing there haven't been too many people who've insisted that Iolani does not belong in D1 because there'd be no way they win an argument against people who know the truth. This isn't animosity toward Iolani; this is animosity toward people who make false claims that Iolani playing at the D1 level is a mistake.
@gopunahou: Well, I don't think we should under-estimate Pac-Five. Though it's been a while, they were kicking everyone's butts in the mid- to late-'80s. I see no reason that they can't be competitive. As for Anuenue, well, they are the basket case this year. But, Anuenue is in the OIA.

If you try to go by enrollment, you'll find yourself on shaky ground. I would suggest that the only schools with small enrollments that always belong in D1 are St Louis and Kahuku. (I'm certain Kahuku has a larger enrollment than St Louis, but not nearly as large as schools like Campbell, Waipahu, and Farrington. We have to also keep in mind that since Kahuku is co-ed, we should multiply all-boys St Louis' enrollment by 2 to have an effective comparison between those two schools.) Iolani is one of those schools that are "neither here nor there;" i.e., they're too weak for D1, but too strong for D2.

Really, it doesn't really matter a whole lot to me whether Iolani stays in D1 or not. I'm not an Iolani alumnus, so I have no skin in the game. It's just that I thought it was appalling, the way they got massacred by Farrington. If Iolani's players did vote to join D1, well, that took guts. But, Farrington in effect called them on it. As for Look wanting to stay in D2, well, can you blame him? It's no fun having to go through what he did against Farrington. And, it had to be just as unpleasant for the players. Let's also keep in mind that Look is an Iolani alumnus. How must he have felt, seeing his alma mater get thrashed and tattered. There's also the matter of his own personal pride and dignity.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @gopunahou: Well, after what Farrington did to Iolani, all Punahou needs is a week to prepare. Kamehameha was D1 state champ in '04, and I recall that they did dominate Punahou that year. As for '00 to '03, I can't remember. As for taking massive beatings from St Louis, well, that was the norm for every ILH team, except Kamehameha in '04. To be honest with you though, perhaps you can understand why guys might not have much sympathy for Punahou. For one, they dominate so many sports every year, there's probably a kind of schadenfreude that fans of other schools experience whenever Punahou loses in anything, especially football. For another, with Punahou's enrollment it's like, what's their excuse for losing so badly?
Really, when it comes to football, comparing Iolani to Punahou might be like comparing apples to oranges. I mean, I know they sound like excuses, but how do you ignore the difference in enrollment between the two schools? And of course, the lower enrollment generally always leads to a smaller roster. And yes, Iolani really doesn't usually have as many big kids as Punahou does. Sure, Iolani thrives in D1 basketball and baseball, but you can't compare either of those two sports to football. OK, Iolani does have a good D1-caliber football team on occasion, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule. I mean, look at this year. Iolani has its biggest O- and D-lines in years, and they have a good RB. They were ranked earlier in the season, but then they ran into a buzzsaw called Farrington. Are we sure we're not trying to force Iolani into D1, when it doesn't really belong there? Are we not trying to force a square peg into a round hole? And remember, we're considering only football, not other sports.
Are you saying that Iolani belongs in D2 where they can feast on teams like Anuenue and Pac-Five? If so, you must think St. Louis and Kahuku belong in D2 since they haven't got big enrollments. I love the analogy somebody made when they insisted that having Iolani play D2 teams is the equivalent of having UH play NFL teams. Bottom line: to even consider that Iolani does not belong in D1 is PREPOSTEROUS. Most people here don't think Iolani belongs in D1. Can you blame them? To even consider that having Iolani play at the D1 level is a mistake is PREPOSTEROUS (and insane if you'd like for me to use different adjectives). And please, HS Football Fanatic, don't give too much credence to rankings. Rankings are the opinions of people that hold no more water than our opinions do. If Iolani truly belongs in D2, OJ Simpson is an innocent man that's never committed murder.

@ Bullnuts808, I don't hate the whole school of Iolani. I've got a lot of music friends that are either Iolani grads or work in the Iolani music department. I also hope you are correct that Coach Look is the only one over there that thinks they are better off playing D2 teams. What does not help the perceptions of Iolani to me and lots of other people are the elitists that have either graduated from Iolani or are current students? Am I saying every Iolani graduate and current student is an elitist? HELL NO. But the reason some people feel animosity toward Iolani is the same reason some people have got a negative perception of Punahou. Look at 1808Anonymous's posts. That guy did Iolani a disservice when he seemed to come across as thinking he was better than everyone. And plus, when I say Iolani is capable of giving the bIg 3 a run for their money or even beating them, is that hating on them?
politclyincrekt wrote:I think all arguments of Iolani returning to Division II were squashed the second Iolani blanked Kealakehe. Regardless of how well (or poorly) Iolani performs against the Big 3, it is very clear that Iolani belongs in the Division I. Just because they lose badly to the likes of Punahou and St. Louis doesn't mean that they won't give Kaiser, Kailua, Moanalua, or even Waianae a run for their money. And after 2 or 3 seasons in Division I, the level of playing at Iolani will definitely rise. By blanking Kealakehe, Iolani proved that they are capable of competing with Division I talent (whether they are the BIIF champions or not this year, Kealakehe is always a contender for the Big Island's berth into states).

To say that they belong in Division II simply because they cannot compete with the teams in their conference is irresponsible. As a whole, Iolani is on par with most other Division I teams in the HHSAA. If Iolani moves down to Division II quickly (or even purposely), it'd be insulting to schools like Kailua, Castle, and Aiea who compete at the Division I level year in and year out even though they could easily relegate to Division II and do extremely well there.
HS Football Fanatic, you ought to read this if you think the ILH may have made a mistake by forcing Iolani to play at the D1 level. If Iolani were to play the Anuenues and Pac-Fives of the world, every game would be a blowout by more than 30 points. Every game. The gap between Iolani and teams like Anuenue and Pac-Five is much bigger than the gap between Iolani and teams like Punahou, Mililani, St. Louis, Kahuku, and Kamehameha. Period. PI said it best when he asserted "it'd be insulting to schools like Kailua, Castle, and 'Aiea, who compete at the D1 level year in and year out even though they could easily relegate to D2 and do extremely well there, if Iolani were to make excuses to go back to D2". There is no justification for having Iolani play teams that it's clearly better than. None. Finding a justification for making UH play NFL teams would be easier than finding a justification for having Iolani go back to D2. Good thing there haven't been too many people who've insisted that Iolani does not belong in D1 because there'd be no way they win an argument against people who know the truth. This isn't animosity toward Iolani; this is animosity toward people who make false claims that Iolani playing at the D1 level is a mistake.
@gopunahou: Well, I don't think we should under-estimate Pac-Five. Though it's been a while, they were kicking everyone's butts in the mid- to late-'80s. I see no reason that they can't be competitive. As for Anuenue, well, they are the basket case this year. But, Anuenue is in the OIA.

If you try to go by enrollment, you'll find yourself on shaky ground. I would suggest that the only schools with small enrollments that always belong in D1 are St Louis and Kahuku. (I'm certain Kahuku has a larger enrollment than St Louis, but not nearly as large as schools like Campbell, Waipahu, and Farrington. We have to also keep in mind that since Kahuku is co-ed, we should multiply all-boys St Louis' enrollment by 2 to have an effective comparison between those two schools.) Iolani is one of those schools that are "neither here nor there;" i.e., they're too weak for D1, but too strong for D2.

Really, it doesn't really matter a whole lot to me whether Iolani stays in D1 or not. I'm not an Iolani alumnus, so I have no skin in the game. It's just that I thought it was appalling, the way they got massacred by Farrington. If Iolani's players did vote to join D1, well, that took guts. But, Farrington in effect called them on it. As for Look wanting to stay in D2, well, can you blame him? It's no fun having to go through what he did against Farrington. And, it had to be just as unpleasant for the players. Let's also keep in mind that Look is an Iolani alumnus. How must he have felt, seeing his alma mater get thrashed and tattered.
Look has done nothing but make excuses. Nothing will change the fact that Iolani belongs in D1.

And speaking of Pac-Five, I doubt that they'll return to their '80s selves. They were at a time when Punahou was horrible. Kamehameha was mediocre at the same time, too. And don't forget, the loss of St. Francis players REALLY hurt Pac-Five. If Pac-Five's numbers remain low or decrease, they'll have no choice but to have each of their schools play 8-man football.

But make no mistake: there is nothing wrong with Iolani playing the Big 3 on a constant basis. And if you wish to bring up history, look at the last time Iolani played the Big 3. That was 1999, according to HawaiiPrepWorld. The ONLY team that beat them by 30 points or more was St. Louis (35 and 39 points). They were clobbering EVERYBODY that year. Iolani beat us at our place by 7 (on our homecoming) and lost to us by 13 at home (in a game that was much closer). And as for Kamehameha, they had a strong team that year. That team won 11 games and beat St. Louis by 25 points. How did they fare against Iolani? They almost LOST to them once and only beat them by 16 points the other time (in a game that was much closer than the score indicated). Does that sound like a team that's got no business playing at D1? To even consider that Iolani's right place is D2 is preposterous. If Castle, Kailua, and Aiea can handle playing the likes of Kahuku, Farrington, and Mililani, there is nothing wrong with Iolani playing the Big 3 on a constant basis.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Aitorahi wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:... I also hope you are correct that Coach Look is the only one over there that thinks they are better off playing D2 teams. ...
I would love to see Coach Rod York take over the Iolani program and see if he could build it into a D1 powerhouse as he did with Mililani. Having 4 ILH D1 teams is way better than what we had before. imho.

I agree. It just would be nice to see Iolani go in a different direction with York after 20+ years of the same and permanently end their D2 debate.
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

People are citing Farrington's demolishing of Iolani as justification for them to move down. So by that logic...

-Campbell should move down after losing 50-0 to Kahuku this year (amassing a total of 18 yards of offense in the process).
-The entire BIIF Division 1 should relegate to Division 2.
-Kailua should be tearing the OIA White to shreds at the moment after going 33-64-1 (.337) in the passed decade (McKinley went 21-52-2, or .280 in the Division I over the same period of time).
-Castle would not fair better than Kailua (Castle's last win over a championship caliber team was Farrington in 2010).
-Aiea would not fair better than Castle (their last win against a championship caliber team was in 2012 when they beat Leilehua and finished the season 3-5).
-St. Louis should be the most dominant Division II team in the history of the division after losing to Punahou 55-7 last year.

So please. If you (or Iolani's staff) are going to pull a chicken little and declare that the sky is falling because they got punched in the mouth, I honestly don't know how they can be in the football business. Iolani utterly demolishes two opponents (one of which is a perennial contender for the BIIF state berth), loses badly to a superior opponent (even by Division I standards), and enters ILH play at 2-1 and people are still bothering to argue that Iolani belongs in Division II? If Iolani got blown out of the water by Waipahu, or McKinley, then maybe you have an argument. But Iolani is going to get blown out by the Farringtons, Kahukus, Mililanis, and Punahous of the football world. As are a lot of other Division I teams. The difference is you don't hear Campbell, Kaiser, or Castle crying about it.

I get it that Iolani fans are used to their team fielding a championship caliber team. But the transition from Division II to Division I in Hawaii is like the transition from college FCS to FBS. And it is exactly what it sounds like: a transition. You can't honestly expect Iolani (after spending so many years in Division II) to be Division I championship contenders right out of the gate.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

politclyincrekt wrote:People are citing Farrington's demolishing of Iolani as justification for them to move down. So by that logic...

-Campbell should move down after losing 50-0 to Kahuku this year (amassing a total of 18 yards of offense in the process).
-The entire BIIF Division 1 should relegate to Division 2.
-Kailua should be tearing the OIA White to shreds at the moment after going 33-64-1 (.337) in the passed decade (McKinley went 21-52-2, or .280 in the Division I over the same period of time).
-Castle would not fair better than Kailua (Castle's last win over a championship caliber team was Farrington in 2010).
-Aiea would not fair better than Castle (their last win against a championship caliber team was in 2012 when they beat Leilehua and finished the season 3-5).
-St. Louis should be the most dominant Division II team in the history of the division after losing to Punahou 55-7 last year.

So please. If you (or Iolani's staff) are going to pull a chicken little and declare that the sky is falling because they got punched in the mouth, I honestly don't know how they can be in the football business. Iolani utterly demolishes two opponents (one of which is a perennial contender for the BIIF state berth), loses badly to a superior opponent (even by Division I standards), and enters ILH play at 2-1 and people are still bothering to argue that Iolani belongs in Division II? If Iolani got blown out of the water by Waipahu, or McKinley, then maybe you have an argument. But Iolani is going to get blown out by the Farringtons, Kahukus, Mililanis, and Punahous of the football world. As are a lot of other Division I teams. The difference is you don't hear Campbell, Kaiser, or Castle crying about it.

I get it that Iolani fans are used to their team fielding a championship caliber team. But the transition from Division II to Division I in Hawaii is like the transition from college FCS to FBS. And it is exactly what it sounds like: a transition. You can't honestly expect Iolani (after spending so many years in Division II) to be Division I championship contenders right out of the gate.
Amen. I remember last year some people tried to justify Iolani's presence in D2 while saying St. Louis's bad loss to us was not as bad as Iolani's losses to St. Louis and Punahou last year. Give me a break! Iolani's got as much business playing in D2 as UH has got playing in the NFL! Whoever disagrees with politclyincrekt's post here is foolish. Any opinion different from his (and mine) is preposterous!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BullNuts808 wrote:
Aitorahi wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:... I also hope you are correct that Coach Look is the only one over there that thinks they are better off playing D2 teams. ...
I would love to see Coach Rod York take over the Iolani program and see if he could build it into a D1 powerhouse as he did with Mililani. Having 4 ILH D1 teams is way better than what we had before. imho.

I agree. It just would be nice to see Iolani go in a different direction with York after 20+ years of the same and permanently end their D2 debate.
@BullNuts808:

The question is: Would York leave Mililani to coach Iolani? Yes, I know he's an Iolani alumnus. But I have to believe that he'll have a lot more football talent at Mililani than he would at Iolani. Also, is there any guarantee that Iolani would stay in D1? York may be a good coach, but he's not a magician. If he can't recruit enough football talent to Iolani, how will he fare each year against the ILH Big Three? By contrast, can you imagine Mililani ever dropping down to D2? I can't. Also, Mililani's football games are often on TV, because Mililani is a strong OIA D1 school; York gets to showcase himself and his team. Iolani's football games are rarely on TV. Finally, the question arises: Is York a better coach than Look? I personally don't know. Both have done well at their respective schools .

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Good thing most people here don't think Iolani belongs in D2. But politckyinkrect and gopunahou, watch out for people they do! They may not possess an iota of intelligence (making George W Bush look like Stephen Hawking by comparison) but will cry like babies if you've got a different opinion then them! Iolani did so well for so many years against the big 3 before the ILH went divisional. They should've been a D1 team in the beginning. Whoever thinks they don't belong in D1 has never played FB either!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HaterOfElitists wrote:Good thing most people here don't think Iolani belongs in D2. But politckyinkrect and gopunahou, watch out for people they do! They may not possess an iota of intelligence (making George W Bush look like Stephen Hawking by comparison) but will cry like babies if you've got a different opinion then them! Iolani did so well for so many years against the big 3 before the ILH went divisional. They should've been a D1 team in the beginning. Whoever thinks they don't belong in D1 has never played FB either!
@HaterOfElitists: What I suspect, is that most Iolani alumni think Iolani doesn't belong in D1. I think they simply don't want to see their alma mater get smashed, battered, and blown-out, which is understandable. I just got through talking to one just over five minutes ago, and he said they don't belong in D1. I had asked that alumnus that question, because of the burning controversy over it that is on this thread. Then I saw your post. I'm not so sure that Iolani "did so well" for so "many" years ...before the advent of D2. Sure, they may have done well some years. But, I think if you look at the history of ILH football championships prior to D2, the Big Three dominated.

As I said before, I'm not an Iolani grad, so it's not extremely important to me which division Iolani is in. It's just that I can't see how we can ignore the difference in enrollment between Iolani on the one hand, and Punahou and Kamehameha on the other. Notice that I left-out St Louis; that's because St Louis is an all-boys' school, whereas Iolani is co-ed. So, you would have to double St Louis' enrollment before comparing it to Iolani's.

Since I'm not an Iolani alumnus, I'm not "crying like a baby;" it doesn't matter that much to me. It's just that I can't see how it's so "eminently obvious" that Iolani should somehow automatically be in D1 and go up against the Big Three twice each year, and no other ILH teams.
Let's look at Maryknoll and basketball. Maryknoll is a strong D1 contender almost every year. So, should Maryknoll be required to have a D1 football team that permanently goes-up against the Big Three every year? Of course not. They don't even have a D2 football team. They don't have a football team at all; they've always been with Pac-Five (or, the Hummers, when they began in '73).

I've also mentioned before that I'm no fan of Iolani. In fact, there's only one school that I care for even less. Even so, I see Iolani's football teams as often undersized, and low in numbers. OK, so their Line is pretty big this year; that sure didn't help against Farrington. In sum: I just feel that Iolani is being singled-out and being picked-on somehow; I feel that way despite the fact that there's only one school I care for even less. I can't really explain it.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

UMMMMM...maybe it is time for a separate thread for all you guys to discuss whether Iolani belongs in D-I or D-II. I am trying to have a thread about D-I football which would basically focus on all D-I teams and the games involved. Anyone who wants to focus on one team and what their classification should be......well.please make another thread and post all you want to about Iolani and where they belong. Thank you!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote:Good thing most people here don't think Iolani belongs in D2. But politckyinkrect and gopunahou, watch out for people they do! They may not possess an iota of intelligence (making George W Bush look like Stephen Hawking by comparison) but will cry like babies if you've got a different opinion then them! Iolani did so well for so many years against the big 3 before the ILH went divisional. They should've been a D1 team in the beginning. Whoever thinks they don't belong in D1 has never played FB either!
@HaterOfElitists: What I suspect, is that most Iolani alumni think Iolani doesn't belong in D1. I just got through talking to one just over five minutes ago, and he said they don't belong in D1. Then I saw your post. I'm not so sure that Iolani "did so well" for so "many" years ...before the advent of D2. Sure, they may have done well some years. But, I think if you look at the history of ILH football championships prior to D2, the Big Three dominated.

As I said before, I'm not an Iolani grad, so it's not extremely important to me which division Iolani is in. It's just that I can't see how we can ignore the difference in enrollment between Iolani on the one hand, and Punahou and Kamehameha on the other. Notice that I left-out St Louis; that's because St Louis is an all-boys' school, whereas Iolani is co-ed. So, you would have to double St Louis' enrollment before comparing it to Iolani's.

Since I'm not an Iolani alumnus, I'm not "crying like a baby;" it doesn't matter that much to me. It's just that I can't see how it's so "eminently obvious" that Iolani should somehow automatically be in D1 and go up against the Big Three twice each year, and no other ILH teams.
Let's look at Maryknoll and basketball. Maryknoll is a strong D1 contender almost every year. So, should Maryknoll be required to have a D1 football team that permanently goes-up against the Big Three every year? Of course not. They don't even have a D2 football team. They don't have their own football team at all; they've always been with Pac-Five (or, the Hummers, when they began in '73).

I've also mentioned before that I'm no fan of Iolani. In fact, there's only one school that I care for even less. Even so, I see Iolani's football teams as often undersized, and low in numbers. OK, so their Line is pretty big this year; that sure didn't help against Farrington. In sum: I just feel that Iolani is being singled-out and being picked-on somehow; I feel that way despite the fact that there's only one school I care for even less. I can't really explain it.
Funny post Haterofelitists. Anyway, HS Football Fanatic, I know some Iolani grads that have always thought Iolani was a D1 team. Most of their teams (prior to the advent of D2) were like the 1999 one which was the last time Iolani played all of the Big 3 twice in a season. You can bet that when most of these Iolani supporters who justify their presence in D2 do so, it comes across as them making excuses. Politcklyinkrekt said it best when he mentioned he hasn't heard Castle, Kailua, and Aiea complain about taking on the likes of Farrington, Mililani, and Kahuku. If Iolani's one-sided win over Kealakehe does not mean anything to you, their loss against Farrington shouldn't either. The Iolani D2 apologists can make excuses as much as they won't. It'll never be enough to justify their presence in D2. And plus, haven't we heard an Iolani supporter (Bullnuts808) voice his opinion that Iolani's never belonged in D2? Please take that into account, HS Football Fanatic. And please take into account what I said about Aiea, Castle, and Kailua. Don't cry for Iolani if they lose by 40 or more against any of the Big 3 HS Football Fanatic.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:UMMMMM...maybe it is time for a separate thread for all you guys to discuss whether Iolani belongs in D-I or D-II. I am trying to have a thread about D-I football which would basically focus on all D-I teams and the games involved. Anyone who wants to focus on one team and what their classification should be......well.please make another thread and post all you want to about Iolani and where they belong. Thank you!
@unpaid: Good point. My apologies.
@gopunahou: I think unpaid is right. We should probably continue on a separate thread.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

My bad, unpaid.....ok with that said.

I guess Kailua is the real deal this year. They have a tuff hill to climb in their league but I'm always interested to see new teams rise. Kailua does it again. Good for them.
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Las Vegas Sun has two sportswriters who pick games each week in a column.Both of them think Liberty loses to St.Louis. You can search the article if you want to....but one writer has Liberty losing by around ten points,and the other writer has Liberty losing by around 14 points.Both have St.Louis scoring in the 30's and Liberty scoring in the 20's.

On a side note, Silverado which apparently has around four transfers from Farrington this year has a contest against another LV area team. One guy likes Silverado,the oddah guy thinks Silverado loses.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Waianae is setting up to have a good season. The SeaRiders are getting W's on the road and are within striking distance of a 1 or 2 seed with a first-round bye in the OIA playoffs.Maybe some of the old Waianae is back.

If there is a top team in need of a real test game before the playoffs,it is Kahuku.A bye comes next week,then the Red Raiders face Castle ,Leilehua,and Waipahu. I think the blowouts continue. Finally,the last regular season contest is against Waianae. That should be a test game for Kahuku. Unfortunately,it comes just before the playoffs and another bye week most likely.

I am not sure that regrouping OIA Red and Blue divisions every two years is having the desired effect of balancing out the competition.
If the divisions had stayed geographical in composition. Kahuku would have had to face Farrington and Kailua in regular season games that I think would have been more of a struggle to win. As it is now,Waianae might be the only division foe that really tests Kahuku and it comes late.

I will add this disclaimer...Kahuku is a very good football team and might make any competition look bad.