unpaid pre-season D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid pre-season D-I football

Post by unpaid »

I have updated my Farrington team capsule based on the Scoringlive.com info on Jeremiah Pritchard transferring.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Getreal$ wrote:Wow, I'm glad there is someone else beside me defending the BIIF. Defend_Yourelf_808, I can see where Leadership is coming from but first off, more power to Luca for moving to Oahu to try his skills against ILH/OIA talent. I can only guess that he or she (Leadership) took offense to the statement that there is no competition in the BIIF for Luca. I actually thought Luca was going to make that move last season with Makoa Chapa, but he returned to Kona and played okay throughout the season. I will share my opinion on Luca that is pretty much the buzz in the BIIF. Luca is physically gifted with size and speed but (don't take this wrong) he just wasn't dominant as the media/press made him out to be. Kona played man press coverage the entire time he played there, that played into his strength against slower kids and in the mud where footing becomes a problem, and his one on one skills were on display at camps and he performed well. I guess this move will either elevate him or expose his weaknesses, either way it should be no reflection of the talent base here on the Big Island. JUST MY OPINION
I still cannot believe that Makoa Chapa was an all-league caliber player in the BIIF. He was a pedestrian player on Oahu, and below ILH D1 average for a starter.

Vartic is a beast physically, but it could be a steep learning curve for him in Saint Louis' zone-heavy schemes. It doesn't look like he's ready to start at corner for Saint Louis yet (from practice). Saint Louis' back 7 might be very good this year, but the line looks like trouble again.

Defend_Yourself_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Defend_Yourself_808 »

my friend mr LEADERSHIP :)

Cool story bro, thanks for sharing. I just wanted to know why so obsessed about the kid. because first of all nobody asked if he was ever dominate or if he was afraid to get hit. We were just sharing that he was just transferring. Until somebody does then it would be relavent :) Second, im the most relaxed person on this forum ever. I just speak truth buddy. No mad mah baddah bumbai u learn young buck lol, da guy who just started his account last week and now like try tell me no post AAAHHHHHH K'MAAANNNNN no get soft...... :)

advancedstats
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by advancedstats »

saynotomercs wrote:
Getreal$ wrote:Wow, I'm glad there is someone else beside me defending the BIIF. Defend_Yourelf_808, I can see where Leadership is coming from but first off, more power to Luca for moving to Oahu to try his skills against ILH/OIA talent. I can only guess that he or she (Leadership) took offense to the statement that there is no competition in the BIIF for Luca. I actually thought Luca was going to make that move last season with Makoa Chapa, but he returned to Kona and played okay throughout the season. I will share my opinion on Luca that is pretty much the buzz in the BIIF. Luca is physically gifted with size and speed but (don't take this wrong) he just wasn't dominant as the media/press made him out to be. Kona played man press coverage the entire time he played there, that played into his strength against slower kids and in the mud where footing becomes a problem, and his one on one skills were on display at camps and he performed well. I guess this move will either elevate him or expose his weaknesses, either way it should be no reflection of the talent base here on the Big Island. JUST MY OPINION
I still cannot believe that Makoa Chapa was an all-league caliber player in the BIIF. He was a pedestrian player on Oahu, and below ILH D1 average for a starter.

Vartic is a beast physically, but it could be a steep learning curve for him in Saint Louis' zone-heavy schemes. It doesn't look like he's ready to start at corner for Saint Louis yet (from practice). Saint Louis' back 7 might be very good this year, but the line looks like trouble again.
It's not that hard to understand. Oahu has about 7 times as many people as the Big Island does. Let's say a player is the 10th best player on the Big Island. Oahu has 7 times as many people so we would expect that same player to be around 70th best on Oahu. Add to that the resources of many of the top Oahu programs, a stronger football tradition, and a coaching pipeline that does not exist on the outer islands, and it's easy to see why this would be the case.

This board consistently ignores the huge disadvantage neighbor island teams play with. "Division 1" schools on the Big Island are frequently as small as many Oahu Division 2 programs. Oahu has 10 of the largest 11 public high schools in the state. Kealakehe, the largest high school on the Big Island, is almost 20% smaller than Pearl City. Of course Oahu has better football than the outer islands. A player transferring from a division 2 Big Island program to a national powerhouse in the ILH isn't guaranteed to have a smooth transition.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Well stated -advancedstats- Makoa Chapa made that move and Luca is making it this year. Makoa was a good player for his size and yes I would think one would expect there would be a disadvantage in the size and quickness along with coaching coming from the BIIF to DI ILH. Give these kids credit in taking that jump up in competition and exposing themselves to the scrutiny that come with high expectations.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

saynotomercs wrote:
unpaid wrote:The St.Louis-Mililani game on opening weekend Aug.8 could be only the first round as both teams could be in the state final at the end of the year.I think Mililani takes the interleague game.The Crusader defense figures to be improved but that improvement will be coming from players who had to sit out last year and will be getting their chemistry tested on the field with their new teammates in the first game of the season against a more than able opponent who is the defending state champion.

The drama stays intense in the immediate weeks following the Crusader-Trojan tilt for two reasons. One,people will be anticipating a rematch at states. Two,there will be a common opponent comparison to add to the debate as both teams will play a highly-regarded Liberty,Nevada team in the ensuing weeks after St.Louis-Mililani I.

Will there be a St.Louis-Mililani II in 2015?

What games do you think will be setting the tone for 2015 early in the football season?
Highly regarded? If either of those teams loses to Liberty (unless Punahou runs away with it this year) Hawaii's reputation would be crippled.
@saynotomercs: I don't think Punahou can get past Mililani.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

Mililani/St Louis is only a scrimmage with 8 min quarters and no kickoffs.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

Kaiser QB Justin Uahinui transfers to Farrington
http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... -decision/

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

it's called Karma Kaiser

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Bummah about St.Louis-Mililani only a scrimmage because OIA rules state OIA teams can't have 2 or more interleague games.That will be weird to watch rankings start after the first weekend of football and the Trojans and Crusaders will still be 0-0. Oh well,I figure maybe there won't be any cancellations because of hurricanes this year,so the OIA decided to step in and cancel a big preseason contest just so we could still gripe about big early match-ups that didn't happen..heh,heh!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Let me first state that football is not the most important thing to happen to high school.

I say this as a Saint Louis alum.

BUT, it seems like the OIA is doing all it can to ensure that more and more of its public school athletes transfer to the mainland or the ILH by limiting its schools to a single preseason game.

I maintain that when it comes to procuring FBS scholarships, it doesn't matter who you play or where you play or -for most positions - even who coached you. But the fact is that most mainland prospects play 50% more games than our local boys by the end of their high school careers. This usually only hurts skill position players, but most importantly, it gives parents and students the perception (and realization- somewhat) that they are better off playing elsewhere.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Bummah about St.Louis-Mililani only a scrimmage because OIA rules state OIA teams can't have 2 or more interleague games.That will be weird to watch rankings start after the first weekend of football and the Trojans and Crusaders will still be 0-0. Oh well,I figure maybe there won't be any cancellations because of hurricanes this year,so the OIA decided to step in and cancel a big preseason contest just so we could still gripe about big early match-ups that didn't happen..heh,heh!
@unpaid: I hear we might be threatened by 5 hurricanes this year. (We were threatened by 3 last year).

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Saint Louis' passing game looked very, very ordinary without Kobayashi today (hamstring issues). Saint Louis is paper thin at the offensive skills this year, something I haven't said since the Micah Mamiya years.

Crusader D-line looked half-competent, but it's still a weakness. Saint Louis' linebackers (3-4 scheme this season) are fast and physical this season. The young secondary looks better than the more experienced one did last season.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Spoke too soon...looks like Guillermo will be arriving late Wednesday....maybe as a weakening tropical storm which would be less dangerous than today's Category 2 hurricane status.