Change Needed in Mililani !!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Change Needed in Mililani !!

Post by Hiloman »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
harus0ra wrote:
Hiloman wrote:Mililani got a great reputation for academics, so if you are a parent outside of Mililani who has a relative there, why not to get him a best shot at a college opportunity to play and qualify. Who wouldn't do that? I remember a Lahaina boy who went to Kahuku for the same reason.
That's true but that was just one transfer compared to ten transfers and Kahuku already was a dominant team
Actually, I think there were a couple of kids from Lahainaluna, one being former Arizona and UH Dlineman Kanieala Tuipolotou. As in most cases with Kahuku though, the kids from Lahainaluna had relatives living in the Kahuku communities; I believe Kanieala's Uncle lived across the way from the school.
You are right, parent told me he had an uncle there and went for academics

Defend_Yourself_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Defend_Yourself_808 »

LoL small minded people i tell u. Haters going hate :)

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Neighbor wrote:Tell em play baseball instead. Central Oahu is breeding grounds for baseball players. Most of em go ILH so get spots on the Mililani team.
I don't think too many people care about that. Is baseball your favorite sport?

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

talk about butt hurt, salty, jealous all rolled into one
Mililani is a good safe community, good school, good academics, has good athletic programs. why wouldn't i want to send my kid there to live with grandma & grandpa and get the best of the best of opportunities.

btw i haven't been keeping up. did Mills get any new players this coming season to watch out for?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Monster wrote:Everyone has seen how successful Mililani's High School football program has become. But, what has become a disturbing fact is that it has come at the expense of Mililani's home grown talent. As a parent of a student/athlete who attends Mililani, it has become very upsetting that the administrators of the school have been granting "football players" from other schools district exceptions at will. This comes at the expense of our homegrown student/athletes. Currently, about 20 junior varsity players have decided to not participate in varsity football because of all the new faces that have been brought in to "Win". The coaches of Mililani are also the coaches of a big boy program called Mill Vill Trojans and use this avenue to bring in other players. Why is this being allowed? Is this the win at all cost attitude we want to install in our community? As a parent it hurts to see your child work his but off for a program that he loved as a child to want to walk away from a sport because coaches do not have faith in our community athletes. I am only one parent however many have quietly voiced there concern about this matter. Please let your voices be heard here! It is time to put a stop to this.
@Monster: OK, I'm going to have to take an opposing position. I don't know about winning at all costs, but I can understand Mililani's admin / coaches emphasizing winning. I personally believe that a high school should be more about its student body / alumni community than about its geographic community. For one, a high school is judged heavily based on its alumni. What happens when a high school's alumni happen to move out of the community? If a Mililani alumnus / alumna moves to, say, Hawaii Kai, should he or she be disregarded because he or she is no longer living in Mililani? I would suggest that a high school needs to be about the school itself, as opposed to the community that it happens to be located in. I think there's a danger when we suggest that there should be some kind of default quota system where X% of a high school's football players should have been living in that school's geographic area for X number of years or something. When it comes to high school sports, football is the biggest show in town. When a high school has a good football team that keeps winning lots of games, it does wonders for school pride, especially for that school's student body (as compared to its alumni). You know how teens are. But you promote student and alumni pride by trying to field the best football team you can. In Mililani's case, you want to get the best players into a Mililani uniform. Once a football player puts on a Mililani uniform, he represents that school and plays for that school, no matter where he may have come from earlier. Mililani alumni want their alma mater to win. Note: I know one personally; he's a colleague at my place of work. He's stoked that Mililani won the D1 football title.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Neighbor wrote:Tell em play baseball instead. Central Oahu is breeding grounds for baseball players. Most of em go ILH so get spots on the Mililani team.
Last I checked, most pros are from outer islands or ILH. Name a central player that went pro?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote:
Last I checked, most pros are from outer islands or ILH. Name a central player that went pro?
Would you settle for Leeward Oahu? What about Jerome Williams (Waipahu '99). If you want to go even further back, Central Oahu bred Derek Tatsuno (Aiea '76). But that was a long time ago, like 40 years or so. Really, though, I think Tatsuno may have been the most dominant pitcher to graduate from an Oahu high school. I would say he was even more dominant than Williams was at Waipahu. I would also say Tatsuno was more dominant than Brandon League (St Louis '00) was at St Louis. And, yes, I think he was more dominant than Sid Fernandez (Kaiser '81) was at Kaiser. If I'm not mistaken, Aiea won the state title Tatsuno's senior year, with his pitching. When he went on to pitch for UH, he was kicking every other team's butt that was in the WAC. He was almost untouchable; his ball had eyes. (I think UH joined the WAC in '78, and was an Independent before that. They're in the MWC now, of course). And then, of course, there's Ian Kahaloa (Campbell '15). Let's see how he does. Granted, he was dominant at Campbell, but let's see how he does the next few years or so.

Sorry about that long baseball post, on this football thread. I'm not only an HS Football Fanatic; I'm an HS Baseball Fanatic, too. Got carried-away.

Defend_Yourself_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Defend_Yourself_808 »

Markeke wrote:
Name: Dustin K. Antolin
High School: Mililani 2008,
Drafted in 2008 after high school by the (Toronto Blue Jays)

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

Mililani Looks unreal with the add of Rico sallas slot back out of saint louis. 4.5 40 speed thats scary fast very rugged and tough. The defense looks very bad though saw there scrimmage got me concerned

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

saintlouisontop wrote:Mililani Looks unreal with the add of Rico sallas slot back out of saint louis. 4.5 40 speed thats scary fast very rugged and tough. The defense looks very bad though saw there scrimmage got me concerned
Mililani defense should be fine when the season comes around besides the mililani don't need a defense to win games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

harus0ra wrote:
saintlouisontop wrote:Mililani Looks unreal with the add of Rico sallas slot back out of saint louis. 4.5 40 speed thats scary fast very rugged and tough. The defense looks very bad though saw there scrimmage got me concerned
Mililani defense should be fine when the season comes around besides the mililani don't need a defense to win games.
@harus0ra: OK, that might be true during the regular OIA season. In the recent scrimmage, Mililani beat the next-highest rated OIA team, Kahuku. But what happens in States? I'm assuming either Punahou or St Louis will be there from the ILH. If it's Punahou, they have an O that's almost as good as Mililani's. If Mililani thinks it can win games by simply outscoring its opponents, what happens when it plays Punahou? If Mililani were to win, the score might be something like 42-35. I think that's a little too close for comfort. Or, what if Mililani plays St Louis? St Louis has the best LBs in the state, I think. So, how easy would it be to score on their D? On top of that, St Louis has an outstanding QB in Tagovailoa. I'd say he's the #2 QB in the state, after Mililani's Milton. St Louis also has an outstanding RB in Siofele. So, when you say that Mililani can win the OIA D1 title by simply outscoring its opponents, OK. But, I think they might run into problems when they play either St Louis or Punahou in States.

WITblitztrend
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WITblitztrend »

The only glaring concern for me with Mililani is their lack of depth at QB. Milton is elusive, and is pretty crafty at eluding pressure. At the Kahuku scrimmage, there was one play in the 3rd quarter that created a big gasp in the collective gut of Mililani nation. Milton was under pressure, and took off in his AD-Lib style we have come to know as his calling card. Only he did not escape, he got pummeled in the backfield for a 20 yard sack, and got back up a banged up. Being in the Mililani crowd, and hearing the reaction, and even the Mililani staff call timeout and re gather themselves shows the true thin thread they may be on with no depth at QB.

As Mililani would do last year, the back up went in during the 4th quarter, fumbled a couple of snaps, got sacked, and was pulled for none other than Milton...4th quarter of a scrimmage, in August, with the score at 44-12 in favor of Mililani.

I trust Coach York, as he is with his young men and understands what they can and cannot tolerate, one must wonder what will be plan B if Milton goes down...

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

their run d looks weak but they got some talented secondary players.
WITblitztrend wrote:The only glaring concern for me with Mililani is their lack of depth at QB. Milton is elusive, and is pretty crafty at eluding pressure. At the Kahuku scrimmage, there was one play in the 3rd quarter that created a big gasp in the collective gut of Mililani nation.
they called up freshmen QB Dillion Gabriel(Garriet Gabriel's kid) from the JV to play some in the Kamehameha scrimmage, wonder if hes gonna stick on the varsity

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

WITblitztrend wrote:The only glaring concern for me with Mililani is their lack of depth at QB. Milton is elusive, and is pretty crafty at eluding pressure. At the Kahuku scrimmage, there was one play in the 3rd quarter that created a big gasp in the collective gut of Mililani nation. Milton was under pressure, and took off in his AD-Lib style we have come to know as his calling card. Only he did not escape, he got pummeled in the backfield for a 20 yard sack, and got back up a banged up. Being in the Mililani crowd, and hearing the reaction, and even the Mililani staff call timeout and re gather themselves shows the true thin thread they may be on with no depth at QB.

As Mililani would do last year, the back up went in during the 4th quarter, fumbled a couple of snaps, got sacked, and was pulled for none other than Milton...4th quarter of a scrimmage, in August, with the score at 44-12 in favor of Mililani.

I trust Coach York, as he is with his young men and understands what they can and cannot tolerate, one must wonder what will be plan B if Milton goes down...
@WITblitztrend: I think York has to watch how he's playing Milton. If you look at Milton, he's not that big a kid at all. He's certainly tough for his size, but even tough kids can get hurt. I think Mililani was really lucky last year to make it all the way to the D1 state championship--and winning it--with Milton playing most of almost every game during the season. I think York needs to make sure he's got some capable backups at QB. It can't be the Milton show every game; he has to have capable people spelling him.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Defend_Yourself_808 wrote:
Markeke wrote:
Name: Dustin K. Antolin
High School: Mililani 2008,
Drafted in 2008 after high school by the (Toronto Blue Jays)
Oh????? Yeah, I forgot about Dat guy, yeah Violin.