Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: spring football rants

Post by Makana »

808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Yeah. Wittek seems to throw too many INTs.
Umm in 95 attempts he's only thrown 3. :-?
I said Wittek seems to throw too many INTs. You don't know the difference between the INT and TD column. Yeah, I look at a lot of stats. And I'm aware that Stats are a lot like bikinis - shows a lot but not everything. An you say you want to throw INTs in practice. Whatevers dude. Another stat you might not know, 24 ints in high school. Again, I'll say he seemd to throw too many INTs.
Who says I WANT to throw INT's in practice, go re-read my post.

Show me his stats in high school that says he threw 24 INT's??

[edit yes I said if anything you want to throw INT's in practice] But I think you misinterpret what I'm saying. smfh
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:Who says I WANT to throw INT's in practice, go re-read my post.

[edit yes I said if anything you want to throw INT's in practice] But I think you misinterpret what I'm saying. smfh
Your exact quote: Practice is practice, that's where you want to throw INT's....

I'm not making this stuff up. 39 TDs and 24 INTs for Mater Dei. http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/max-wit ... -stats.htm

You know how good Mater Dei is, right? 9-2 in his Senior year, yet threw 15 INTs. Matt's numbers in high school, many games against inferior opponents, were less than impressive. I'm not excited about Wittek playing one year here. I'd rather see how much Woolsey might have improved. He might be like Shroeder.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Max Wittek was a mistake, imo.

he doesnt look appreciably better than Woolsey in practice, and we're throwing away a year of Woolsey's potential development for another mediocre QB. and i dont even like Woolsey.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Woosley??? If Wittek doesn't pan out, I'd rather see Reilly or Zwahlen than endure Woosley again.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:Who says I WANT to throw INT's in practice, go re-read my post.

Your exact quote: Practice is practice, that's where you want to throw INT's....

I'm not making this stuff up. 39 TDs and 24 INTs for Mater Dei. http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/max-wit ... -stats.htm

You know how good Mater Dei is, right? 9-2 in his Senior year, yet threw 15 INTs. Matt's numbers in high school, many games against inferior opponents, were less than impressive. I'm not excited about Wittek playing one year here. I'd rather see how much Woolsey might have improved. He might be like Shroeder.
OK now breakdown his 24 INT's:

1. How much of them were receivers catching them improperly or tipped by receivers??

2. How much lead to a receiver running the wrong routes??

3. How much of them were over thrown and under thrown???

4. How much of them were DIRECTLY to a defender??

I'm not really trying to make excuses for Wittek, but what stats fail to really show is the receivers accountability in a pass. And if you put a number next to each question asked, I'm sure it can be corrected with coaching.

BTW think about what my quote really is?? Do you want to throw INT's in practice or a game where in one place your mistakes can be corrected, the other place where INT's will be set in stone. Is it OK to throw INT's in practice of course not, but that's where you gain chemistry with your receivers and trust but there will be mistakes in the process and YOU WILL throw INT's in the time being.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

xer 21 wrote:Max Wittek was a mistake, imo.

he doesnt look appreciably better than Woolsey in practice, and we're throwing away a year of Woolsey's potential development for another mediocre QB. and i dont even like Woolsey.
Damn. I guess that means we suck again.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Zwahlen may be the #1 QB.
I wouldn't count him out at this point.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

My3Cats wrote:

That was my prediction all along because it's Chow Ball! I'm waiting for the implosion and then another 4 year rebuild if the management in upper campus can pull their heads out in finding the right coach.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I don't like Woolsey either and I feel the same way you do. There's just a bigger upside with Woolsey.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:Woosley??? If Wittek doesn't pan out, I'd rather see Reilly or Zwahlen than endure Woosley again.
Starting Zwahlen would be better to me than Wittek.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:

1. How much of them were receivers catching them improperly or tipped by receivers??

I'm not really trying to make excuses for Wittek, but what stats fail to really show is the receivers accountability in a pass. And if you put a number next to each question asked, I'm sure it can be corrected with coaching.

BTW think about what my quote really is?? Do you want to throw INT's in practice or a game where in one place your mistakes can be corrected, the other place where INT's will be set in stone. Is it OK to throw INT's in practice of course not, but that's where you gain chemistry with your receivers and trust but there will be mistakes in the process and YOU WILL throw INT's in the time being.
We're talking about Mater Dei. It's not like Mater Dei is a run-of-the-mill high school football team. They're a perennial national powerhouse. They have good WRs and receiver coaches. Gee, you don't ask for much, huh? I'd like to see you put numbers of ANY high school QB next to your four categories. Numbers like that don't exist.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

akuhead2 wrote:Zwahlen may be the #1 QB.
I wouldn't count him out at this point.
He's been out of football for two years but with this bunch of QBs, you never know.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:

Wake up and smell the corpse flower.
I am the one who knocks.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:

We're talking about Mater Dei. It's not like Mater Dei is a run-of-the-mill high school football team. They're a perennial national powerhouse. They have good WRs and receiver coaches. Gee, you don't ask for much, huh? I'd like to see you put numbers of ANY high school QB next to your four categories. Numbers like that don't exist.
No offense bro, but I thought you liked to look up stats. Like I said it was just to show the receivers accountability in the passing game, and that interception stats don't tell the whole story. For instance would you rather have a pass rusher that get's 20 pressures a game with no sacks or would you rather have a pass rusher that get's no pressure but manages at least one sack a game?? My point is that pressure doesn't show up in stats and that sacks don't also tell the whole story to a defender.

But getting back to Wittek, if you're gonna use the 24 INT's to judge him don't you think he deserves to be judged fairly??
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:No offense bro, but I thought you liked to look up stats. Like I said it was just to show the receivers accountability in the passing game, and that interception stats don't tell the whole story. For instance would you rather have a pass rusher that get's 20 pressures a game with no sacks or would you rather have a pass rusher that get's no pressure but manages at least one sack a game?? My point is that pressure doesn't show up in stats and that sacks don't also tell the whole story to a defender.

But getting back to Wittek, if you're gonna use the 24 INT's to judge him don't you think he deserves to be judged fairly??
But 24? For Mater Dei? Excuse me for not buying into the hype about this guy. I didn't buy Taylor Graham's hype either. All I saw was a recruit that was injury-prone. And sure enough, that's all he turned to be.

The following is a post I made in October 2013. This is the kind of insight I have.

Reasons why Chow has to go at the end of this season #1. Don't believe the BS that we can't afford the $1.3M to buyout Chow. We cannot afford NOT to. We lost 4,580 season ticket holders last year. At about $200 each, that comes out to $917K. We lost them not only this year but for at least the next two years. So the 4,580 season ticket revenue we lost in three years is $2,748,000. But that's damage that can't be undone. If we lost just 3,250 more season ticket holders this year, in the two remaining years of Chow's presence that represents exactly $1.3M, the amount of Chow's buyout. We'll probably lose more than 3,250 if Chow stays. We'll lose more money keeping Chow than what we'll lose buying him out.

#2. We've reached the point that if Jay doesn't rollover Chow's contract, he'll be recruiting on an uneven field. I don't think anyone is suggesting Chow's earned the rollover. Of course we shouldn't. So try convincing recruits to come to a school where the coaching staff may be here only one, two or at most three more years. You know other schools interested in the same recruits will use that against UH when recruiting. You think Chow has been having a difficult time recruiting the past two years? It will get increasingly more difficult in the future.

#3. There are better coaches out there, coaches that would bring back fans to the stadium, or at least stem the exodus of fans. Dino Babers is my choice. He took over a 2-9 Eastern Illinois team in 2011 and went 7-5 in 2012 as head coach. A FCS team, they're 5-1 so far this year, losing only at N. Illinois 43-39. But they won at SDSU 40-19. Babers employs an exciting passing offense, something our fan base would appreciate. Babers has ties to UH, playing from 1979 to 1983 and was a graduate assistant in 1984. He's been in coaching ever since, working his way up to Offensive Coordinator at Arizona and Texas A&M, and assistant head coach at UCLA. His current salary is $170K.

We can continue on the path we're on and operate deeper and deeper in the red or we can try something to fire up the fanbase. If Babers fails, the only thing we have to lose is his small salary ($403K minimum at UH). If Babers succeeds, even just becoming bowl eligible, we will be in a much better place than where we are now.
I am the one who knocks.