Coaching Change at Waianae??

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Coaching Change at Waianae??

Post by agent g »

I hear that Matsumoto is on the way out and Waianae is looking for a new head coach? Can anyone confirm? Heard some things from people close to the school, but cannot pin point if its true.

agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Coaching Change at Waianae??

Post by agent g »

Looks like Matsumoto stepped down according to the Star Advertiser high school sports page. Wonder if they are gonna go in house or out. I've heard in the past the folks like Bobby George, Nate Illaoa asked to join the program, wonder if they would step in and apply. Shoot Rich Miano would be kinda cool working with Waianae kids. Maybe if Chiw get fired, Waianae could purse a name coach like Kurt Gouveia.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

I know a lot of people in the Waianae community didn't like him, but I'm sad to see him go. His teams, at least over the last decade or so, played to the whistle and not after. His offensive lines far outperformed their collective talent. He just doesn't have the talent base to work with that people associate with pre-2000s Waianae.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

After 15 years at the helm, Daniel Matsumoto has called it a day.
(Paid content ) http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... 414911&c=n

That's too bad. Nice guy. We have sushi once in a while. Now he can come out with us more often.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder if he's looking to coach elsewhere. If so, he could fit right in at Punahou. And say what you will about his record but remember sayno's post. The guy never played with (after 2001) the talent and size Waianae knew and loved in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. I never heard Matsumoto complain about that, nor did I hear him cry when his massively undersized 2010 team (only 15 players over 200 lbs) played against St. Louis, Leilehua, and Mililani twice and also Kahuku in the preseason. Matsumoto ain't a crybaby (unlike another coach that always cries about lack of size to get his way) and always preached humility from what I heard (something the crybaby coach I mentioned before never preaches). The game needs guys like him. Best of luck whatever he does.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

gopunahou wrote:I wonder if he's looking to coach elsewhere. If so, he could fit right in at Punahou. And say what you will about his record but remember sayno's post. The guy never played with (after 2001) the talent and size Waianae knew and loved in the '70s, '80s, and '90s. I never heard Matsumoto complain about that, nor did I hear him cry when his massively undersized 2010 team (only 15 players over 200 lbs) played against St. Louis, Leilehua, and Mililani twice and also Kahuku in the preseason. Matsumoto ain't a crybaby (unlike another coach that always cries about lack of size to get his way) and always preached humility from what I heard (something the crybaby coach I mentioned before never preaches). The game needs guys like him. Best of luck whatever he does.
My memory of the Waianae's teams of the 60's - 70's was that of being small physically but they were tough, scrappy, and disciplined. Typical Larry Ginoza team. :D

Condor4542
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Condor4542 »

My guess is Gouveai is a top candidate to take over. He played on some dominant teams there and could get his kids to play the kind of tough football Waianae fans love. Still will be hard to beat Mililani and their hired guns!

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

whoever the new coach will be i hope he can bring the seariders back into contention form. i think the main issue to be addressed will be how to keep their homegrown talent home in their own district.
-------------------

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Waianae Athletic Director Glenn Tokunaga names Walter Young as the new head coach. Young is a 98 Waianae High School (was an offensive lineman for then head coach Leo Taaco) and Whitworth College graduate. Young was the Waiane JV head coach for the last two years, winning the JV championship last year. :D