Post by UnBiasFan »

Link

thanks EITSwarrior for passing this on

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: June Jones on Leahy and Leahy

Post by cabanalane »

Can't watch it now. Did he say anything we should know "now"?

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

cabanalane wrote:Can't watch it now. Did he say anything we should know "now"?
No.....he wants NCHOW to succeed here......... :o And you can tell that the Kona winds and sun setting mind set is in his eyes....He'll never Head coach again. No hunger.
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
No.....he wants NCHOW to succeed here......... :o And you can tell that the Kona winds and sun setting mind set is in his eyes....He'll never Head coach again. No hunger.
Edge,

I'll bet you a box of malasadas he's jump at the chance.

You are CRAZY if you think he would not STRONGLY consider coaching here or a good opp elsewhere if the opportunity came up. He not only said he's interested in coaching again, he completely skirts the issue of coaching here when the question came up. If he wasn't interested, he would have flat out said it.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

CoconutKid wrote:
Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
Edge,

You are CRAZY if you think he would not STRONGLY consider coaching here or a good opp elsewhere if the opportunity came up. He not only said he's interested in coaching again, he completely skirts the issue of coaching here when the question came up. If he wasn't interested, he would have flat out said it.
JJ and NC have mutual respect and JJ would be out of bounds if he said he wanted the UH job.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Like JJ always says, "You'll never know." Can't count him out. He would be an asset to the athletic department. He sees the whole picture. Unfortunately we will get another AD who will not.

I really would like for Norm to talk him into taking the OC job. He says he has some new ideas he will be bringing with him to whatever team he ends up coaching. I would like to see him do it here.

He made a lot of sense as to why he left here.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

CoconutKid

Post by CoconutKid »

Palolo_2LA wrote:
CoconutKid wrote: Edge,

JJ and NC have mutual respect and JJ would be out of bounds if he said he wanted the UH job.
Agreed. Kanoa even mentions the coaching fraternity prior to asking the question, which he put as delicately as he could. And I think that JJ is geniune in his desire to see Chow do well. But that respect is why he never directly answers the question.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I thought it was interesting to learn that June Jones was negotiating for a big pay out after the Sugar Bowl season. If you read between the lines, Jones basically said that if he got what he wanted from Hawaii, the money he got would have taken away from upgrading the program. So Jones was prepared to stay at the right (high) price, but that would be counterproductive to all he was saying about upgrades.

Hawaii was not the perfect fit for Jones at the time because he was looking to cash in at that point.

I also got the impression that Jones is now beyond needing the money. He is looking for a challenging coaching situation because he wants to use his knowledge and skills to win games. He also loves helping underdogs, misfits, and whoever else that can be turned around.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Sure sounded like he left SMU because the school wasn't willing to provide the things that he wanted to make the football program competitive. Sounds familiar from say, about 2008? And what has changed at UH since he left that shows that the school would be willing to provide the things that he wants to make the football program competitive? He'd be stepping right back into the same mess that he left behind when he couldn't get his way here.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote:Sure sounded like he left SMU because the school wasn't willing to provide the things that he wanted to make the football program competitive. Sounds familiar from say, about 2008? And what has changed at UH since he left that shows that the school would be willing to provide the things that he wants to make the football program competitive? He'd be stepping right back into the same mess that he left behind when he couldn't get his way here.
It didn't sound like a facilities thing. It was some other undisclosed internal thing at SMU.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, the way he departed from both SMU and Hawaii are still negative marks for me. But when I total up the plus's and minus's, I still very much like and appreciate June Jones. He is a class act .... in my unbias opinion.

poi pounder
Starter
Starter
NBA: Lakers
NFL: 49ers
Location: Born in Honolulu; Raised in Wai-Kahala; Live in Northern California

Post by poi pounder »

I just watched this last night... Not sure what everyone else took away from this but I think it may be an insight to what may become in the very near future... JJ is just being very tactful in saying he's interested in the UH AD job...
Hate to say it but... I want JJ back...

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote:I thought it was interesting to learn that June Jones was negotiating for a big pay out after the Sugar Bowl season. If you read between the lines, Jones basically said that if he got what he wanted from Hawaii, the money he got would have taken away from upgrading the program. So Jones was prepared to stay at the right (high) price, but that would be counterproductive to all he was saying about upgrades.

Hawaii was not the perfect fit for Jones at the time because he was looking to cash in at that point.

I also got the impression that Jones is now beyond needing the money. He is looking for a challenging coaching situation because he wants to use his knowledge and skills to win games. He also loves helping underdogs, misfits, and whoever else that can be turned around.
JJ left cause UH and the state government did not keep to their promise to make improvements to athletics to make them competitive to the point it COULD be considered for PAC-10/12 expansion. I'm surprised people, still don't see that. Sure his salary had a part in his decision to stay or leave, but the lack of commitment from the state and upper campus played a HUGE part.

If he stayed at UH, no matter if he got paid big bucks or not, he knew the status quo wouldn't change. The football offices would've probably still be how it was when Tomey was coach, Cooke Field would still be that black mess and the locker rooms would still look pathetic. JJ leaving caused a shakeup that got things done. Unfortunately and not suprisingly, UH couldn't keep the ball rolling due to their ineptitude.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I agree with you. JJ left because commitments that were made were not kept by the politicians. JJ stated that UH is the State's team. He realized over time that because of the geographical problems that UH faced and the costs associated with it it was an issue that the University couldn't fix the State had to make commitments. The issue has not gone away. JJ is no dummy he can see that the commitments that the State were willing to make when JJ left and Coach Mac (who is a good friend) took over were never kept.

My other take aways.

1. He does not want the AD job. And he wouldn't take it unless commitments are made and we all know there is no credibility at the State level.

2. Would he coach again. Absolutely. He state quite clearly when asked about being an AD and he said flat out "I am a football coach." The situation would have to be right. Every where he has gone has been a turn around opportunity and he thrives on the challenge.

3. Unless Hawaii wakes up and provides the support that is needed Hawaii football will be left out. That is why he lost his motivation at SMU. He has his thoughts on what needs to be done to be included in a 16 team 4 conference football elite and SMU isn't taking the steps to be included.

4. He believes that you have to be proactive. When was the last time UH and the State of Hawaii has been proactive? NEVER.

In JJs mind he will not be an AD of Coach at UH. He will coach again if the right opportunity presents itself. JJ has talked to Norm and he wants Norm to win. Without a good QB you can't win. Apparently Norm is very high on a QB and I am assuming that it is Witek. Witek played under Kiffin whose offense is very similar to Norm's and he has a year under his belt working with the team. JJ believes that the team will win next year with a good QB. Hawaii and SMU will not be included in the super 4 conferences because the State of Hawaii is proactive and committed enough.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

CoconutKid wrote:
Mr.EDGE808 wrote:
Edge,

Some may have a hard time believing this but JJ has some class. He will not talk about coaching at a place that does not have a coaching vacancy. UH has no coaching vacancy.
I am the one who knocks.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

808Hawaii wrote: Some may have a hard time believing this but JJ has some class. He will not talk about coaching at a place that does not have a coaching vacancy. UH has no coaching vacancy.
If the AD did his job, UH would have a coaching vacancy. If not at the HC position, at the very least at the OC position.