Why is EWA/Kapolei schools not winning football titles?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Why is EWA/Kapolei schools not winning football titles?

Post by huki-lau-lau »

can anyone from leeward side explain why more particularly campbell and kapolei are not winning any football titles? if u told me mililani would win a state football title before those two i would call you crazy.

the ewa plains is prime with football athletes similar to areas like kahuku and kalihi, add on top of that the geographic closenees and convenience of the two school districts and i would drool over the possibilities of all the best athletes stacking up at either cambell or kapolei.

central oahu been doing that for years, the central oahu kids used to stack up at leilehua and now they are stacking up at mililani. both those schools now have 1 state title.

Kapolei pros:
- new facilities
- growing population
- decent polynesian sized community
Kapolei cons:
- is coach hernandez not popular enough to attract out of district talent (waipahu-waianae)
- coach hernandez has the wrong assistant coaches, several assistant coaches from kahuku with strong ties to the kahuku community however kahuku is too far for transfers to commute. That is the formula that York uses at mililani has assistants have deeper ties to kids from metro honolulu and they been recruiting hard.

Cambell pros:
- growing population
- big polynesian community
- coach amosa is well liked in the community
Cambell cons:
- the image of a run down community in "older ewa" may cause parents to send their kids elsewhere that is safer (like mililani)
-------------------

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Why is EWA/Kapolei schools not winning football titles?

Post by westside.gee »

Kids in Kahuku grow up wanting to be a Red Raider, out here kids want a college scholarship and if it means getting into a private school or playing for two different OIA schools along the way to maximize your exposure then so be it. There is no rich history or deep loyalties to the community or school like you see at Kahuku/ St. Louis/ Waianae and Farrington as far as football is concerned.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

huki-lau-lau wrote:can anyone from leeward side explain why more particularly campbell and kapolei are not winning any football titles? if u told me mililani would win a state football title before those two i would call you crazy.

the ewa plains is prime with football athletes similar to areas like kahuku and kalihi, add on top of that the geographic closenees and convenience of the two school districts and i would drool over the possibilities of all the best athletes stacking up at either cambell or kapolei.

central oahu been doing that for years, the central oahu kids used to stack up at leilehua and now they are stacking up at mililani. both those schools now have 1 state title.

Kapolei pros:
- new facilities
- growing population
Kapolei cons:
- is coach hernandez not popular enough to attract out of district talent (waipahu-waianae)
- coach hernandez has the wrong assistant coaches, several assistant coaches from kahuku with strong ties to the kahuku community however kahuku is too far for transfers to commute. That is the formula that York uses at mililani has assistants have deeper ties to kids from metro honolulu and they been recruiting hard.

Cambell pros:
- growing population
Cambell cons:
- the image of a run down community in "older ewa" may cause parents to send their kids elsewhere that is safer (like mililani)

No comparison, that's why. Leilehua has 3 OIA championships and 2 state titles, and Mililani has 3 OIA championships and 1 state title. That is 6 OIA titles and 3 state titles between them. Campbell and Kapolei has zero D1 titles. Campbell got to the OIA title game only twice in 49 years (96 & 97) and Kapolei has not gotten there yet in 12 years of playing varsity (they started off with JV the first 2 years). So the central Oahu teams have way more history and tradition. Campbell has a way larger Polynesian community than Kapolei, and they are also the largest school in the state, but both teams take talent away from the other because of how close the schools are to each other. One other thing is that it is expensive to live in Kapolei, so it is harder for kids to move into that community.

Hawaii78
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaii78 »

Doesn't matter if they hired Darren Johnson, as long as Hernandez is at Kapolei, they won't be contenders. Too much players playing as individuals. No unity, individually they are as talented as any team in the state, as a unit, they are mediocre.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Lack of unity and support from the community as a whole, too much parents with their own agendas not buying into the program

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

UMMMM maybe because they don't concentrate on winning football titles??? They concentrate on education and going to college to get a degree!

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-hi ... ols/hawaii

Turkeytail Huki Laulau,

Take a look at this. Every year Campbell is NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED! In the last 5 years at Kahuku, name me a football player who won the state title that has a degree? 1 or 2? Maybe you should rephrase the topic:

Why is Kahuku not concentrating on going to college to get a degree?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

jus_anotha_fuam i not talking about academics, kae, this a football forum and i asked a football question.

so u saying cambell and kapolei strap on the pads just for fun? they no play to win? when i was playing ball in college had plenty studs from ewa side play with us so i wonder why they not dominating the oia west side of the island.

*and by the way we are pushing academics for our athletes dass why our principal and coach got approved from the oia to higher the gpa from 2.0 to 2.3 for our athletes to remain eligible. lastyear we had 16 players on grade check this year we had 0.
-------------------

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Fuam? Lol

I gave u a football answer. EWA and Kapolei not winning cause u not coaching.

No need call people names. What is kae?

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

First off, I can only count one or two seasons where Kapolei had the horses to play for a state title. They were, indeed, pretty big disappointments. But characterizing the player pools of either school as championship caliber is folly.

One can, however, ask why Kapolei hasn't threatened to make the state tournament in all these years. I believe this comes down to coaching. Hernandez knows football and seems like a good guy, but winning is not a top priority for him. His focus is on gaining scholarship offers for his players, which is noble, but it neglects the teaching opportunity of success and collective goals, which is important as well.

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

I am confused of success and collective goals. They are teaching and coaching. But the WINS are not adding up to win a title. But he is constantly FINDING ways for his kids to get scholarships at D1, D2, D3, and NAIA levels. Who does not want a coach like that? There were more kids in the last 10 years that he has helped but did not qualify because of grades and SAT scores. Is that the coaches fault? Is he responsible for that too? What are the parents doing? Personally I would rather my son or daughter have the OPPORTUNITY to receive a scholarship. I don't see how he is neglecting the team? He pushes all that but they just don't win but he sends his kids to the next level. So because they don't make it to the state finals he is not teaching opportunity of success and collective goals? It all depends on what you want as a parent. If you feel that winning a high school title is the ticket for their success then so let it be. But it should not stop there.

SportCourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportCourt »

mililani was bringing in kids prior to York, its just gotten to be full speed ahead with him.

Ewa, Kapolei have many neighboring schools to transfer too... Millilani being the main one but lots of kids switch back and forth between ewa and kapolei and have transfered all the way to Hawaii Kai.

The trend of transfering has become very popular lately but its just a trickle down affect from
the west coast where the Cali kids have been known to transfer year after year.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:I am confused of success and collective goals. They are teaching and coaching. But the WINS are not adding up to win a title. But he is constantly FINDING ways for his kids to get scholarships at D1, D2, D3, and NAIA levels. Who does not want a coach like that? There were more kids in the last 10 years that he has helped but did not qualify because of grades and SAT scores. Is that the coaches fault? Is he responsible for that too? What are the parents doing? Personally I would rather my son or daughter have the OPPORTUNITY to receive a scholarship. I don't see how he is neglecting the team? He pushes all that but they just don't win but he sends his kids to the next level. So because they don't make it to the state finals he is not teaching opportunity of success and collective goals? It all depends on what you want as a parent. If you feel that winning a high school title is the ticket for their success then so let it be. But it should not stop there.
And it is not just Kapolei kids, I have heard that he has helped kids from Punahou, Kamehameha, Campbell, etc get scholarships to the service academy schools and as far away as Japan!

studfinder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by studfinder »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:UMMMM maybe because they don't concentrate on winning football titles??? They concentrate on education and going to college to get a degree!

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-hi ... ols/hawaii

Turkeytail Huki Laulau,

Take a look at this. Every year Campbell is NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED! In the last 5 years at Kahuku, name me a football player who won the state title that has a degree? 1 or 2? Maybe you should rephrase the topic:

Why is Kahuku not concentrating on going to college to get a degree?
Besides Kapoi, who else is concentrating on education at Kapolei or Campbell, that's crazy if you think either coaches or school just thinks about education, they can't win because the coaches are still at a lower level or set in their ways of thinking. You have extremely talented kids at both school and 2 of the biggest schools in the states. Well, let's look at Farrington they had the biggest student body and never won the championship. ..ever in the last 40 year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:can anyone from leeward side explain why more particularly campbell and kapolei are not winning any football titles? if u told me mililani would win a state football title before those two i would call you crazy.

Kapolei pros:
- new facilities
- growing population
Kapolei cons:

Cambell pros:
- growing population
Cambell cons:
First off, it's my understanding that Campbell has the largest enrollment in the state, so if you go by enrollment alone, Campbell should be state D1 football champs pretty often. Obviously, enrollment isn't everything. Also, I'm not sure that ethnicity is always a good indicator, either. Clearly, Poly kids are generally good in football, but so are popolo kids. My understanding is that Radford has the most popolo kids, so why hasn't Radford been state D1 football champs pretty often? I think both enrollment and ethnicity are oversold. I suspect that it's who the coach is, and whether the school is recruiting players. Therefore, if a school can hire a legendary coach--and recruit--that's a very strong combination. Right now, which school has the strongest combination of the two? I would say St Louis. Cal Lee is probably the most legendary high-school football coach in the state; and, I think most of us will agree that St Louis recruits. Therefore, I suspect that St Louis will start eclipsing Punahou, to become the premier football school in the ILH. As for the OIA, I think Kahuku will become the premier football school in that league. Even though Mililani has a larger enrollment than does Kahuku, I think Kahuku has more football talent. I understand that Mililani recruits, but I don't think that that can overcome the superior football talent at Kahuku.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:

Kapolei pros:
- new facilities
- growing population
Kapolei cons:

Cambell pros:
- growing population
Cambell cons:
First off, it's my understanding that Campbell has the largest enrollment in the state, so if you go by enrollment alone, Campbell should be state D1 football champs pretty often. Obviously, enrollment isn't everything. Also, I'm not sure that ethnicity is always a good indicator, either. Clearly, Poly kids are generally good in football, but so are popolo kids. My understanding is that Radford has the most popolo kids, so why hasn't Radford been state D1 football champs pretty often? I think both enrollment and ethnicity are oversold. I suspect that it's who the coach is, and whether the school is recruiting players. Therefore, if a school can hire a legendary coach--and recruit--that's a very strong combination. Right now, which school has the strongest combination of the two? I would say St Louis. Cal Lee is probably the most legendary high-school football coach in the state; and, I think most of us will agree that St Louis recruits. Therefore, I suspect that St Louis will start eclipsing Punahou, to become the premier football school in the ILH. As for the OIA, I think Kahuku will become the premier football school in that league. Even though Mililani has a larger enrollment than does Kahuku, I think Kahuku has more football talent. I understand that Mililani recruits, but I don't think that that can overcome the superior football talent at Kahuku.
Kahuku will BECOME the premier program in that league?

No, Kahuku IS the premier program in that league.