Maybe Hawaii's players are just not that good.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Maybe Hawaii's players are just not that good.

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote:Are you talking about University of Hawaii football players or are you talking about the local Hawaii football players.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

UH Players are "too small."

Hawaii local players (Hawaii's best) would leave for mainland school, because better chances for NFL. Staying or playing for UH would not give them that chance, even if the team was winning.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:Are you talking about University of Hawaii football players or are you talking about the local Hawaii football players.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

UH Players are "too small."

Hawaii local players (Hawaii's best) would leave for mainland school, because better chances for NFL. Staying or playing for UH would not give them that chance, even if the team was winning.
really?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Even during the JJ era. There were many Hawaii players that left for the mainland. More exposure, more coverage, etc etc. So more chances of being selected. Whether that is-was true or not, it's the perception.

If a local kid got opportunities for a legit mainland school, they will not turn it down, or be advise to turn it down.

If you want a shot at the NFL, playing for Hawaii may not get you there.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

I think anyone would agree that you need both good coaching, AND talented players who can compete against their opponents.

Perfect example: UH vs. Georgia. We had good coaches, talented players, but got absolutely punished by a bigger faster and more talented team with experienced coaching.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Dos Inus wrote:I think anyone would agree that you need both good coaching, AND talented players who can compete against their opponents.

Perfect example: UH vs. Georgia. We had good coaches, talented players, but got absolutely punished by a bigger faster and more talented team with experienced coaching.
Georgia prepared for that game like it was a national championship. For Hawaii, it was a big party. Some of us felt completely let down by JJ. I might forgive JJ for this, but I don't forget it.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Dos Inus wrote:I think anyone would agree that you need both good coaching, AND talented players who can compete against their opponents.

The biggest problem with the Sugar Bowl performance was the inexperienced offensive line and running backs. June Jones put Laumoli and Farmer in as starting running backs. They hadn't played much in that position all season long and the inexperience showed. I understand the reason for it, but the reality very different from the intention. The special teams and defense played lights-out. The decisions in preparation and game-time execution were some of June Jones' worst. Perhaps he was already thinking about his new job at SMU?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Well wait, he might be onto something cause Woosley just plain sucks. :P
and the receivers.

but there's talent elsewhere.
I haven't been to the practices in awhile but you go right?? Tell me who's been taking the 1st team reps at QB??
havent been this week, but its always woolsey unless he's hurt.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Dos Inus wrote: We had good coaches, talented players, but got absolutely punished by a bigger faster and more talented team with experienced coaching.
Richt didnt have to coach a THING in that game. one player won that game for UGA by himself, and that was Aaron kia getting demolished all night. he gave up like 6 of the 8 sacks by himself, and georgia barely blitzed.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

xer 21 wrote:
Dos Inus wrote: We had good coaches, talented players, but got absolutely punished by a bigger faster and more talented team with experienced coaching.
Richt didnt have to coach a THING in that game. one player won that game for UGA by himself, and that was Aaron kia getting demolished all night. he gave up like 6 of the 8 sacks by himself, and georgia barely blitzed.
This, heck chow could have been calling the plays for Georgia and they still would have blown us out.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

reignjah11 wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
This, heck chow could have been calling the plays for Georgia and they still would have blown us out.
If you recall, Georgia had Matt Stafford and Knowshon Moreno. Chow did very well with play calling when surrounded by the right athletes. The downfall of Chow is that it takes a different kind of coaching and system to get the maximum out of lower level talent.

Of course, in hindsight, Rolovich would have been a far better choice. Maybe, he wasn't ready to be head coach at the time. But McMackin was not going to be there for ever and was developing coaches to take over. I know hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of us saw this early on. The move to Chow is an example of people trying to fix something that was not broke.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Chow did very well with play calling when surrounded by the right athletes. The downfall of Chow is that it takes a different kind of coaching and system to get the maximum out of lower level talent.

Of course, in hindsight, Rolovich would have been a far better choice. Maybe, he wasn't ready to be head coach at the time. But McMackin was not going to be there for ever and was developing coaches to take over. I know hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of us saw this early on. The move to Chow is an example of people trying to fix something that was not broke.
Wow..you said in one reply what I was trying to say over several threads.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Agree. We simply didn't belong in that bowl game. Remember our schedule? The best team we beat that year was a last place PAC10 UDub team. Out other OOC opponents - two D1-AA teams and UNLV. Boise wasn't good that year. Then we faced a second place SEC team and was exposed.
I am the one who knocks.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

808Hawaii wrote:

Agree. We simply didn't belong in that bowl game. Remember our schedule? The best team we beat that year was a last place PAC10 UDub team. Out other OOC opponents - two D1-AA teams and UNLV. Boise wasn't good that year. Then we faced a second place SEC team and was exposed.
Georgia was just a bad matchup for us. Had we played a team like Illinois instead (won the big 10 that year but got crushed by usc in the rose bowl) I think it's a more competitive game.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

cabanalane wrote:Even during the JJ era. There were many Hawaii players that left for the mainland. More exposure, more coverage, etc etc. So more chances of being selected. Whether that is-was true or not, it's the perception.

If a local kid got opportunities for a legit mainland school, they will not turn it down, or be advise to turn it down.

Playing in the NFL has nothing to do with playing on a bad team, scouts evaluate the player not the team.

Example - Corey Parades on a 10-4 team went undrafted and he was the best player on that defense that year.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:
cabanalane wrote:Even during the JJ era. There were many Hawaii players that left for the mainland. More exposure, more coverage, etc etc. So more chances of being selected. Whether that is-was true or not, it's the perception.

Playing in the NFL has nothing to do with playing on a bad team, scouts evaluate the player not the team.

Example - Corey Parades on a 10-4 team went undrafted and he was the best player on that defense that year.

Ben Roethlisberger - Miami (O)
Joe Flacco - Delaware
Jerry Rice - Miss Valley
Walter Payton - Jackson State
Randy Moss - Marshall
I am the one who knocks.