Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Solutions to UH's Financial Woes

Post by 808Hawaii »

Irse wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
Irse wrote:The football program does not lose money.
But they are not near its potential. It's not at an acceptable level.
Raising prices won't help when the product on the field is not very good. At some point, it won't be worth it to even the most hardcore fan.
What I posted about quadrupling the price of season tickets is not a long term solution. Sooner or later, we have to start winning. Like I said in the previous post, there's no promotion like winning.
I am the one who knocks.

uhtailgater
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by uhtailgater »

808Hawaii wrote:
uhtailgater wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: Sorry but, if locals are not willing to pay to watch the games live, you think tourists that have no connection to the team will?

It has it chances. I've attended games while on vacation in different states. Well, that's because I didn't have much planned and did it for the experience. BTW I'm still not and at that time I wasn't a Lakers or Giants fan .
If you was a mainland tourist, or japanese tourist, or whatever tourist, what would you rather do? Go to a Luau or watch Chowball? Shop and walk around Waikiki or Aulani, or watch Chowball? Aloha Tower or Chowball? Lounge around the pool or Chowball?

I rather stay home and do yardwork than watch Chowball.
Being that I'm a football fan. If I was a tourist and done most of what you mentioned and able to fit it in my schedule, I would attend a College Football game for the experience. Knowing that it's a football game and not just watching Chowball.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

uhtailgater wrote:Being that I'm a football fan. If I was a tourist and done most of what you mentioned and able to fit it in my schedule, I would attend a College Football game for the experience. Knowing that it's a football game and not just watching Chowball.
Poor tourist. :oops:
I am the one who knocks.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

808Hawaii wrote:

It has it chances. I've attended games while on vacation in different states. Well, that's because I didn't have much planned and did it for the experience. BTW I'm still not and at that time I wasn't a Lakers or Giants fan .
If you was a mainland tourist, or japanese tourist, or whatever tourist, what would you rather do? Go to a Luau or watch Chowball? Shop and walk around Waikiki or Aulani, or watch Chowball? Aloha Tower or Chowball? Lounge around the pool or Chowball?

I rather stay home and do yardwork than watch Chowball.[/quote]

You don't watch Chow Ball? :roll: You've clearly been neglecting your yard because you've been criticizing Chow's play calling and questioning his strategy every chance you get.

We ALL want improvement. Your NOT gonna see it consistently with Woolsey under center. He's ALL we got right now. Is Reilly ready? Prolly not. I'd give him a shot anyway.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

CoconutKid wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: If you was a mainland tourist, or japanese tourist, or whatever tourist, what would you rather do? Go to a Luau or watch Chowball? Shop and walk around Waikiki or Aulani, or watch Chowball? Aloha Tower or Chowball? Lounge around the pool or Chowball?

I rather stay home and do yardwork than watch Chowball.
You don't watch Chow Ball? :roll: You've clearly been neglecting your yard because you've been criticizing Chow's play calling and questioning his strategy every chance you get.

We ALL want improvement. Your NOT gonna see it consistently with Woolsey under center. He's ALL we got right now. Is Reilly ready? Prolly not. I'd give him a shot anyway.

LOL! :lol:

Yeah, bring in Reilly and let's see what he can do. He can't be worse than Woolsey unless he botches the handoffs to Lakalaka. :-
I am the one who knocks.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Even with dwiddling attendance, tickets bought is still making the Warrior football program pay for itself; however, not enough to bail out the non-revenue producing sports.

Bottom line, the legislature will have to step up and fund Title IX....Fund Title IX, and the deficit goes away.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

808Hawaii wrote:I think UH lacks marketing and promotion. If there were some hype to the tailgating experience, I think it would make more people want to attend the games. This is just a collective assumption based on responses that I get from friends that I invite to games. That could possibly help with the ticket sales. However, it seems that the security at the tailgates tend to hassle quite a bit. One of the reasons why I sometimes rather BBQ and watch the game at home or at another gathering. Well if much locals are not purchasing tickets, may be another option is to find a way to have tourists or visitors purchase them. Kiosk in Waikiki?

Actually, I think the European, Japanese, and Chinese tourist represent an untapped market. But sell through the travel agencies. Give them a nice percentage.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:I think UH lacks marketing and promotion. If there were some hype to the tailgating experience, I think it would make more people want to attend the games. This is just a collective assumption based on responses that I get from friends that I invite to games. That could possibly help with the ticket sales. However, it seems that the security at the tailgates tend to hassle quite a bit. One of the reasons why I sometimes rather BBQ and watch the game at home or at another gathering. Well if much locals are not purchasing tickets, may be another option is to find a way to have tourists or visitors purchase them. Kiosk in Waikiki?

Actually, I think the European, Japanese, and Chinese tourist represent an untapped market. But sell through the travel agencies. Give them a nice percentage.
Worth a shot. If they'll watch soccer, maybe they'll watch this. :roll: j/k

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

seasider wrote:
Bottom line, the legislature will have to step up and fund Title IX....Fund Title IX, and the deficit goes away.
Could you explain this please?

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

I think this is a great thread.

Seems to me, more so now than ever, TV = money. I'm not in the TV or broadcasting business so I welcome your thoughts. What does it take to get Hawaii Athletics on TV on a national scale? Does the MWC have plans to expand its conference TV coverage?

Assuming this is impossible, the only thing we can do is ride on the backs of the Big Five conferences that do get TV exposure, by playing those guys, OFTEN. Looking forward to next year, looks like we've got Colorado, Ohio State, Wisconsin. Doubt the school will get much $$$ for these games but at least it gives us a national audience. This year we played 3 Pac-12 schools, at least that got us some leftcoast exposure. We need more of these.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Dos Inus wrote:
seasider wrote:
A few programs make money (fb, wvb, mbb). They have to pay for all of the teams that do not or are non revenue sports. Most of these are women's sports which are mandated by Title IX. So if the legislature funds these programs, the AD makes money.
ImageImage

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

More food for thought. What do we really get out of the Mountain West Conference? What would happen if we went independent?

Could we set up games against other independents like Notre Dame? Or rekindle the BYU rivalry? Notre Dame may create a bunch of problems for the playoff selection committee, and get into the playoffs, BECAUSE they are not conference-affiliated. Now I know I'm shooting for the stars here, but what the heck.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

Irse wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:
seasider wrote:
A few programs make money (fb, wvb, mbb). They have to pay for all of the teams that do not or are non revenue sports. Most of these are women's sports which are mandated by Title IX. So if the legislature funds these programs, the AD makes money.

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense. Although...

If the Legislature is funding Title IX programs...with tax dollars... that means that our taxes will likely increase... which in the end will force all of us to support Hawaii Athletics... by paying for it on April 15...

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Dos Inus wrote:More food for thought. What do we really get out of the Mountain West Conference? What would happen if we went independent?

Could we set up games against other independents like Notre Dame? Or rekindle the BYU rivalry? Notre Dame may create a bunch of problems for the playoff selection committee, and get into the playoffs, BECAUSE they are not conference-affiliated. Now I know I'm shooting for the stars here, but what the heck.
It would be hard to get teams here in the middle of the conference season.
ImageImage

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

If you can't get folks to donate, or buy season tickets, then hit them up at tax time! Fine so be it. The U needs $$$.