*** Official New Coach Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Re: NEW HEAD COACH

Post by vailima »

I've always wanted Gilbride, but can we afford him and will he even come here? He's the only name in this thread that I've seen so far that will make use of the players we've been recruiting so far. A big HELL NO to JJ, he was good for the time, we've gone past the smurf WR days, that only took us so far.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

vailima wrote:I've always wanted Gilbride, but can we afford him and will he even come here? He's the only name in this thread that I've seen so far that will make use of the players we've been recruiting so far. A big HELL NO to JJ, he was good for the time, we've gone past the smurf WR days, that only took us so far.
All I want is to be competitive enough in the MWC to draw fans. Going to the Sugar Bowl now is an unrealistic goal.
I am the one who knocks.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:If I had to choose:

1a. Kevin Gilbride - Exciting offense "Option Pass", pretty much based upon how a receiver reads coverages. I think it would be a good offense with the young QB's UH has.

1b. June Jones - Well I think we all know what JJ is all about, I'd be very happy to have him back. Why I say 1b, well whoever answers the phone first. lol
Kevin Gilbride? What attachment does he have to Hawaii? Why would he want to come here for a fraction of market price?
His son went to UH? And he could come here at a lower price if he sees this job as a "retirement" job.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Did Kevin Gilbride show interest last time?
I am the one who knocks.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

vailima wrote:I've always wanted Gilbride, but can we afford him and will he even come here? He's the only name in this thread that I've seen so far that will make use of the players we've been recruiting so far. A big HELL NO to JJ, he was good for the time, we've gone past the smurf WR days, that only took us so far.
We've gone "past" the smurf WR days to what ? And how far was that?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

808Hawaii wrote:Did Kevin Gilbride show interest last time?
the first time he did.

he was brought up like 3 times, and i think by the end, he stopped caring about us.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

vailima wrote: A big HELL NO to JJ, he was good for the time, we've gone past the smurf WR days, that only took us so far.
they took us to the only BCS game this program will ever have.

targets.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

xer 21 wrote:
vailima wrote: A big HELL NO to JJ, he was good for the time, we've gone past the smurf WR days, that only took us so far.
so? ancient history. That team wouldn't survive the current MWC, too small, too slow.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

vailima wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
so? ancient history. That team wouldn't survive the current MWC, too small, too slow.
quit huffing spray paint. lol.

the current MWC is:

A) garbage
B) mostly just the WAC anyways. we added UNM, Air Force, Wyoming and CSU. wow, total powerhouses.

the wac we were in from 06-10 is either as good or better (since Boise was REALLY good back then and Fresno wasnt sad, usually better) than the current MWC.

i cant even believe you would call the colt Era receivers slow. or nate. i think you're just sour grapes.

Bess was so small and slow that the NFL made him a millionaire and one of the dolphins top 10 receivers in history. cmon.

salas and pilares were so small and slow that they spent a few years in the NFL too.

the 06/07 teams wouls have shredded this conference and the 10 team would have been a contender for the title.

targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Did Kevin Gilbride show interest last time?
the first time he did.

he was brought up like 3 times, and i think by the end, he stopped caring about us.

Who knows, maybe he'll show interest again. If he does, I'd jump aboard that bandwagon.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

vailima wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
The current MWC sucks! Especially the team in our division. The problem is we suck way worse.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

vailima wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
How can you say we were too small and too slow? SMH.
I am the one who knocks.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

808Hawaii wrote: JJ's heart is in Hawaii. I'm not going to give up on that idea of him coming back again to try his best to re-build the Warrior program.
Side story.

I'm in Arizona. Dick Tomey is still a big deal here in AZ. People still talk about him today. Pick any hardcore football fan. 15 mins into the conversation, Dick Tomey's name will come up. When I hear that I smile because he was "ours" first.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /14388787/

I didn't know Tomey still kept his house in Hawaii all this time. The same house. There was another story where he let some of his former AZ players stayed at his house in Hawaii (today, years from their AZ days).

Consider his time in AZ and SJ (others too), he spent more time on the mainland than Hawaii in total.

Back to the question, does JJ still kept his house in Hawaii. I read he did (when he left), but that was years ago. Is JJ still here? What is he doing? I can't imagine he just sit around and watch KGMB TV all day, no?
Last edited by cabanalane on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I think JJ wants to retire in Keauhou or somewhere on the Big Island. Mayb ehe's starting to feel retired.
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

808Hawaii wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:Guys we need someone with HC experience, an OC that has a non pro style as UH can't recruit for that system and a staff that can recruit well.

In the corporate world, a person needs to be mentored and groomed to transition from a manager to an executive. Look at what happen to our latest hire of a person without the proper experience - is Chow working out - so Rolo isn't the answer?

Also, stop with the JJ day dreams. His run was awesome and he revived the UH brand, but those days are done. His recruiting was horrible and most of his key players were rebounds without other options.
Do you have anyone in mind?

I don't think UH can afford a proven name. They are probably looking for someone at about the $500K range. At the same time, the fanbase needs to be re-awaken.
I'd consider some of these coaches that coach in D2 say in Ohio (for example Youngstown) or are successful FBS coaches, especially in the south for recruiting purposes if cost is an issue.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: