Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is not

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is not

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

a D2 team?

With everyone talking about the alarming number of blowouts we've seen this year, why can't people realize that moving Iolani up to D1 would decrease the number of blowouts? Their excuses to keep playing D2 are falling on deaf ears. They are NOT a small team and don't lack the recourses the Pac-Five schools, Damien, and St. Francis lack. They've got as much business playing them as Kahuku does playing Anuenue. Tonight's game was just as bad--if not worse--then Pac-Five's earlier loss to St. Louis. If Iolani loses 75-0 against Punahou AND Kamehameha, it STILL wouldn't be enough to convince me that they are a D2 team. Nothing will, and nothing should for any of you. So what if they lose by 40 or 50 points against Punahou or Kamehameha? That will NEVER change the fact that they are a D1 team that's too cowardly to play where it belongs. Other teams like Castle and Moanalua have played the likes of Kahuku and Mililani and never complained or made excuses about avoiding them. Why can't Iolani show the same balls that Castle and Moanalua show? Only Iolani supporters who want to inflate their ego and ignorant people think Iolani is a D2 team, but why aren't more people willing to say what they know is true?

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is

Post by dirtylickens »

couldnt agree more. Iolani has been cherry picking state championships at the D2 level for the past decade. Not until last year when Rich Miano out-recruited nearly everyone in the state minus Rod York did we see them dethroned. Iolani has beaten division 1 teams in the ILH, so I dont believe that they should stay in the D2. Its just sad to see them take advantage of the system.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:a D2 team?

With everyone talking about the alarming number of blowouts we've seen this year, why can't people realize that moving Iolani up to D1 would decrease the number of blowouts? Their excuses to keep playing D2 are falling on deaf ears. They are NOT a small team and don't lack the recourses the Pac-Five schools, Damien, and St. Francis lack. They've got as much business playing them as Kahuku does playing Anuenue. Tonight's game was just as bad--if not worse--then Pac-Five's earlier loss to St. Louis. If Iolani loses 75-0 against Punahou AND Kamehameha, it STILL wouldn't be enough to convince me that they are a D2 team. Nothing will, and nothing should for any of you. So what if they lose by 40 or 50 points against Punahou or Kamehameha? That will NEVER change the fact that they are a D1 team that's too cowardly to play where it belongs. Other teams like Castle and Moanalua have played the likes of Kahuku and Mililani and never complained or made excuses about avoiding them. Why can't Iolani show the same balls that Castle and Moanalua show? Only Iolani supporters who want to inflate their ego and ignorant people think Iolani is a D2 team, but why aren't more people willing to say what they know is true?
I agree with you that Iolani really should be in D1 for football. As for those Iolani alumni who get a charge out of their alma mater winning a D2 title, well, that speaks volumes. Better to lose in D1 than win in D2, if you ask me.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

i wouldnt be so "proud" of my alma mater if we continually won a lesser title knowing that there was something bigger out there. But Wendell Look is no idiot. He's milking this cow for all its worth.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

dirtylickens wrote:i wouldnt be so "proud" of my alma mater if we continually won a lesser title knowing that there was something bigger out there. But Wendell Look is no idiot. He's milking this cow for all its worth.
I don't see why / how. Look is an Iolani grad ('78). But, what does it all add-up to, saying that your team has won a number of D2 championships? How much respect is Iolani getting on this forum, for example? I think Iolani really should make the jump to D1; I think they'll get more respect for doing that. They can shed that D2 stigma that seems to hang over them like a cloud. Sure, life in D1 will be tough. But Iolani played Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha regularly every year, for years, BEFORE the D1 / D2 classification system came into effect. Iolani did it before, they can do it again.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

dirtylickens wrote:i wouldnt be so "proud" of my alma mater if we continually won a lesser title knowing that there was something bigger out there. But Wendell Look is no idiot. He's milking this cow for all its worth.
I hope there are Iolani grads who find it embarrassing that Look is inflating his ego (and that of his team's) with wins over teams that don't belong on the same field with his. I know for a fact that if I were an Iolani grad I'd find it embarrassing. Only an idiot will support Iolani's presence in D2. But losing badly sometimes to the Big Three wouldn't inflate the egos of some Iolani supporters, would it? I know if Nelson Maeda were coaching Iolani he wouldn't back down from playing the Big Three. All Look does is cry and make excuses any time somebody calls him out on letting his team beat on lesser ones.

And if (rather when) Iolani loses by 40 or 50 to Punahou this Friday, don't go crying that "this shows that Iolani isn't a D1 team. See what Punahou did to them?" First of all, this is the same Punahou that thrashed St. Louis 55-7. A St. Louis team that's got a good chance of finishing second in the ILH (and is praying KS beats Punahou so they can tie their Big Three counterparts). Did anyone cry that St. Louis didn't belong in the same league as Punahou? I think we all know the answer to that so don't go claiming that Iolani ain't a D1 team. Anyone who claims Iolani is where it belongs knows nothing about football and probably never played the game. We've seen Iolani hold its own against some of the best (remember those 2009 and 2010 teams?). There is no reason they can't do it again. So all of you who are waiting to watch Punahou clobber Iolani so you can "prove me (and other people who hate Iolani playing in D2) wrong", understand that your claims will once again fall on deaf ears. Nothing will change the FACT that Iolani is a D1 team these next two weeks. NOTHING. And wasn't the ILH going to move them up anyway after this year? Regardless, if Iolani is a TRUE D2 team, LENNAY KEKUA is a real person.
I don't see why / how. Look is an Iolani grad ('78). But, what does it all add-up to, saying that your team has won a number of D2 championships? How much respect is Iolani getting on this forum, for example? I think Iolani really should make the jump to D1; I think they'll get more respect for doing that. They can shed that D2 stigma that seems to hang over them like a cloud. Sure, life in D1 will be tough. But Iolani played Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha regularly every year, for years, BEFORE the D1 / D2 classification system came into effect. Iolani did it before, they can do it again.
This. Too bad that the people who think there is nothing wrong with ILH playing D2 and think moving them up would be a mistake don't see this. Letting Iolani continue to remain a D2 team is a bigger mistake than any that exist in HS FB here. Their presence in D2 is a bigger injustice than Punahou playing St. Francis.
Last edited by FatherofCody&Casey on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
I hope there are Iolani grads who find it embarrassing that Look is inflating his ego (and that of his team's) with wins over teams that don't belong on the same field with his. I know for a fact that if I were an Iolani grad I'd find it embarrassing. Only an idiot will support Iolani's presence in D2. But losing badly sometimes to the Big Three wouldn't inflate the egos of some Iolani supporters, would it? I know if Nelson Maeda were coaching Iolani he wouldn't back down from playing the Big Three. All Look does is cry and make excuses any time somebody calls him out on letting his team beat on lesser ones.

And if (rather when) Iolani loses by 40 or 50 to Punahou this Friday, don't go crying that "this shows that Iolani isn't a D1 team. See what Punahou did to them?" First of all, this is the same Punahou that thrashed St. Louis 55-7. A St. Louis team that's got a good chance of finishing second in the ILH (and is praying KS beats Punahou so they can tie their Big Three counterparts). Did anyone cry that St. Louis didn't belong in the same league as Punahou? I think we all know the answer to that so don't go claiming that Iolani ain't a D1 team. Anyone who claims Iolani is where it belongs knows nothing about football and probably never played the game. We've seen Iolani hold its own against some of the best (remember those 2009 and 2010 teams?). There is no reason they can't do it again. So all of you who are waiting to watch Punahou clobber Iolani so you can "prove me (and other people who hate Iolani playing in D2) wrong", understand that your claims will once again fall on deaf ears. Nothing will change the FACT that Iolani is a D1 team these next two weeks. NOTHING. And wasn't the ILH going to move them up anyway after this year? Regardless, if Iolani is a TRUE D2 team, LENNAY KEKUA is a real person.
This. Too bad that the people who think there is nothing wrong with ILH playing D2 and think moving them up would be a mistake don't see this.
Note: Kamehameha doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell of beating Punahou. I don't know how Kamehameha's defensive down-linemen allowed themselves to be pushed around by St Louis' running game, of all things. Have any of you heard of St Louis' running game? Well, they had one, thanks to Kamehameha's defensive down-linemen. What happened to them? I mean, Ulu-Perry is the best O-lineman in the state, but who else does St Louis have on the O-line, that they could push-around what was supposed to be a stout Kamehameha D-line? The St Louis RB had what, some 175 yds? And, how good is he? And, how does Kamehameha's D surrender over 700 yds against anyone but Punahou? If you have an answer, please tell us. Oh, I think I have one: Kamehameha's D was GROSSLY overrated.

Tmanz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tmanz »

The day Wendell Look decides to hang it up....Rod York would be my first call and then they begin talking D1

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Tmanz wrote:The day Wendell Look decides to hang it up....Rod York would be my first call and then they begin talking D1
That's a very intriguing proposition. Look is 54 this year; will he retire soon? Like Look, York is an Iolani grad. But: Would York be willing to leave Mililani for Iolani? As far as football is concerned, I think Mililani has more potential than Iolani. Since Iolani is a private school, they might offer York more pay than he's getting at Mililani. Another question: Would he be able to recruit at Iolani like he's recruiting at Mililani? (Yes, my understanding is that he is recruiting at Mililani.) I think it boils down to this: Can / will Iolani pay York a salary high enough to lure him away from Mililani, assuming that Iolani has less potential than Mililani as far as football is concerned? Of course, the fact that York is an Iolani grad, can only help Iolani's chances.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

I hope the Pac-Five schools, as well as St. Francis and Damien, choose to play 8-man football. That way Iolani will have nobody to play since they aren't willing to play D1 teams. And many think Iolani should move up, especially here. Why haven't we heard people defend Iolani's decision to chicken out and continue to cherry pick?

dahitman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dahitman »

I have watched a bunch of ILH games this year. I have to say that Iolani is definitely not an ILH D1 program at this time. Their 1 deep has some size but 2 deep, there is nothing. They definitely don’t have the numbers (only about 50 kids) compared to the 90 plus on Punahou, Kamehameha and St. Louis. If they were in the OIA, I think they could complete against most OIA D1 Schools except Mililani, Kahuku, Campbell and Leilehua.

Maybe the OIA and ILH need to combine and form 3 divisions.

Disclosure: I am not an Iolani Alumnus. I am a Kamehameha Alumnus.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Birdman316 wrote:I hope the Pac-Five schools, as well as St. Francis and Damien, choose to play 8-man football. That way Iolani will have nobody to play since they aren't willing to play D1 teams. And many think Iolani should move up, especially here. Why haven't we heard people defend Iolani's decision to chicken out and continue to cherry pick?
I think the only good thing for Iolani about staying in D2, is that they don't get blown-out as often. (They still have to play Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha once). Iolani certainly isn't getting any respect, staying in D2. I think we can all agree that Iolani usually has smaller players than the schools in ILH D1. But, that's how it always was. I can remember watching them play since '76; they were usually smaller physically than the teams at Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha. But they kept playing them, twice each year, throughout the '80s and '90s. Sometimes they won, and sometimes they were just as big. For example, the '80 Iolani O-line was pretty big, and was probably the best O-line in the ILH. That's right. That's one reason they won the ILH that year--beating Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha--and tied Waianae in the Prep Bowl. Waianae was tough in the early-'80s, and was the OIA champ in '80. Fast-forward to '14, and Iolani has a pretty big O-line again, some 34 years later. It may not be bigger than Punahou's, but again: It's too bad that Iolani claims a "physical disadvantage" during this, the "D2-classification era," yet all those years before, they just sucked it up and played in the same division as Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Birdman316 wrote:I hope the Pac-Five schools, as well as St. Francis and Damien, choose to play 8-man football. That way Iolani will have nobody to play since they aren't willing to play D1 teams. And many think Iolani should move up, especially here. Why haven't we heard people defend Iolani's decision to chicken out and continue to cherry pick?
I think the only good thing for Iolani about staying in D2, is that they don't get blown-out as often. (They still have to play Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha once). Iolani certainly isn't getting any respect, staying in D2. I think we can all agree that Iolani usually has smaller players than the schools in ILH D1. But, that's how it always was. I can remember watching them play since '76; they were usually smaller physically than the teams at Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha. But they kept playing them, twice each year, throughout the '80s and '90s. Sometimes they won, and sometimes they were just as big. For example, the '80 Iolani O-line was pretty big, and was probably the best O-line in the ILH. That's right. That's one reason they won the ILH that year--beating Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha--and tied Waianae in the Prep Bowl. Waianae was tough in the early-'80s, and was the OIA champ in '80. Fast-forward to '14, and Iolani has a pretty big O-line again, some 34 years later. It may not be bigger than Punahou's, but again: It's too bad that Iolani claims a "physical disadvantage" during this, the "D2-classification era," yet all those years before, they just sucked it up and played in the same division as Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha.
It's amazing that most of the board is in support of Iolani moving up but Paul Honda seems to be in love with Iolani playing D2. Having Iolani avoid the real D2 teams would help to cut down on the number of blowouts we've seen. Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha aren't the only teams feasting on D2 competition. The numbers speak for themselves and support my position: Iolani hasn't lost to a real D2 team since 2007 but had its last victory four years ago. Their is more of a chance of a blowout between Iolani and a real D2 team than there is between Iolani and any of its real rivals. And plus, I think Iolani DID have a bigger team than Punahou when Donny Mateaki, Joe Igber, Ed Ta'amu, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and Matt Wright played for them. I also think they had bigger teams than Kamehameha (hard to believe) in the early '90s when Brian Ah Yat was the QB (can't remember who played O-Line and D-Line for them). And plus, even as a D2 team, they were willing to play Punahou twice in 2002 and 2003. What happened and made them change their mind?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
It's amazing that most of the board is in support of Iolani moving up but Paul Honda seems to be in love with Iolani playing D2. Having Iolani avoid the real D2 teams would help to cut down on the number of blowouts we've seen. Punahou, St Louis, and Kamehameha aren't the only teams feasting on D2 competition. The numbers speak for themselves and support my position: Iolani hasn't lost to a real D2 team since 2007 but had its last victory four years ago. Their is more of a chance of a blowout between Iolani and a real D2 team than there is between Iolani and any of its real rivals. And plus, I think Iolani DID have a bigger team than Punahou when Donny Mateaki, Joe Igber, Ed Ta'amu, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and Matt Wright played for them. I also think they had bigger teams than Kamehameha (hard to believe) in the early '90s when Brian Ah Yat was the QB (can't remember who played O-Line and D-Line for them). And plus, even as a D2 team, they were willing to play Punahou twice in 2002 and 2003. What happened and made them change their mind?
Well, it would seem that the obvious answer is that the classification system gave them an out. Punahou has gotten too big physically over the past 7 years or so, so I would assume Iolani saw the light and preferred to hide behind its D2 classification.

We should also note that in the ILH, it was usually Kamehameha that had some of the largest O-lines, not only because that school usually has big kids, but also because Kamehameha usually prefers to run the ball, which requires a larger O-line. Punahou didn't always have big O-lines as often as Kamehameha, so it's very possible that Iolani had a larger O-line than did Punahou, from time to time. Igber was an RB who played during the late-'90s; as I recall, he wasn't really that big; he wasn't the fullback type. I remember Moenoa; he was a huge O-lineman. Think he played what, 5 or 6 years ago? If I'm not mistaken, Iolani had a fairly large O-line in '93 as well.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

We should also note that in the ILH, it was usually Kamehameha that had some of the largest O-lines, not only because that school usually has big kids, but also because Kamehameha usually prefers to run the ball, which requires a larger O-line. Punahou didn't always have big O-lines as often as Kamehameha, so it's very possible that Iolani had a larger O-line than did Punahou, from time to time. Igber was an RB who played during the late-'90s; as I recall, he wasn't really that big; he wasn't the fullback type. I remember Moenoa; he was a huge O-lineman. Think he played what, 5 or 6 years ago? If I'm not mistaken, Iolani had a fairly large O-line in '93 as well.
Igber was not a big guy but did give every team he faced fits because of his elusiveness and Barry Sanders-esque skills. Fact is, he's proof that small, speedy guys can be as attractive to FB coaches as big guys like Moenoa are. Guys like Igber are the kind of players Iolani goes after.