St. Louis QB debacle

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: St. Louis QB debacle

Post by EITSwarrior »

Ehh no thread hijacking

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Why does this development surprise you?

It makes total sense from a "regime change", "recruiting posture", and "rebuilding" perspective.

And, the old rules of "seniority" and "tradition" DO NOT APPLY. It's now, "what have you done for me lately?"

Whatever is really going on with Kuhns behind the scenes, whether his demotion to second string is a gross injustice or not, it will soon be forgotten. The "Sophomore" will get his yards and touchdown throws, the Lees will get him competitive by the end of the season so that the buzz on him for next year will be loud, and life will go on.

This is modern high school football. If you want playing time, plAYSOccer.

Squid Diver wrote:Part of my point is that I believe Kuhns lost his job during spring ball when he was playing baseball or at the very latest during summer ball. There is overwhelming support for the sophomore since April by the coaching staff, media, and Crusader nation. I know he missed A practice this week, he missed the practice the day after he was told by Ron Lee that he will not be starting.

How can the returning 2013 first team ILH QB lose his job during spring or summer ball?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

LOL plAYSOccer, good one twonoexcuses.
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: ...Kahuku doesn't seem to have the throw-deep passing game that it will likely take to beat Punahou.
you just described all 7 of Kahukus state championship teams that couldnt throw the ball even 5 yards deep, this year we can throw it up to 15 deep. Big Red machine is rolling and gaining momentum!
There MIGHT be something to that. Just about two hours ago, somewhat mentioned to me that Kahuku CAN PASS this year. However, that same person also said just after that, that Kahuku doesn't have a good RB. Care to verify / respond? I thought Kahuku ALWAYS had good RBs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Undftd wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: ...Kahuku doesn't seem to have the throw-deep passing game that it will likely take to beat Punahou.
you just described all 7 of Kahukus state championship teams that couldnt throw the ball even 5 yards deep, this year we can throw it up to 15 deep. Big Red machine is rolling and gaining momentum!
Haha tbh im kinda tired of all this, every comment is "The big red working silently under the radar and getting work done." It isnt silent if after every win against a weak division you flaunt your victories. now back to the game, i think It goes Punahou, Mililani, Kahuku. in that order, yes kahuku is a power run team but not even close to the caliber of the past 2 title teams, especially at the rb position.

No disrespect to kahuku or its fans with my little rant, nothing but respect for the pride you show, but i see mililani beating them in the playoffs.
OK, you verified for me that Kahuku doesn't have a good RB. That's what I had heard from someone else about two hours ago. But, that same person said Kahuku can PASS well. Question: If Kahuku doesn't have a good RB, how can they be a "power-running team"? And I agree, Mililani will almost certainly beat them in the play-offs. The guy that told me Kahuku doesn't have a good RB, ALSO said that Mililani stands a very good chance of beating Punahou. And no, he's NOT a Mililani grad. However, he doesn't like Punahou, so perhaps THAT has some bearing.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:
There MIGHT be something to that. Just about two hours ago, somewhat mentioned to me that Kahuku CAN PASS this year. However, that same person also said just after that, that Kahuku doesn't have a good RB. Care to verify / respond? I thought Kahuku ALWAYS had good RBs.
not to hijack this thread, Tua and kuhns are studs.

..and to anshwer your question HsFF, Kahuku has 6 all-star caliber running backs (3 powerbacks, 3 tail backs), any of which would be starters at anyother school like punahour or stluois this season. mark this date sept26 when kahuku plays leilehua on oc16 you will see what im talking about.
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@huki-lau-lau: See? I thought it was unusual that Kahuku would have no RBs that are good. YOU said they have SIX, yet two other guys--my "informant", and a guy on this thread--said they DON'T have any that are good. So much conflicting info out there.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

HsFF, what can i say...if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
your informants mostlikey do read the newspaper so that makes them misinformed.

just because the other guy on this forum whos almamater took one of our best rb's, doesnt mean that we dont have others at kahuku that can step up.
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:HsFF, what can i say...if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
your informants mostlikey do read the newspaper so that makes them misinformed.

just because the other guy on this forum whos almamater took one of our best rb's, doesnt mean that we dont have others at kahuku that can step up.
Well, actually I do read the newspaper. As for my "informant", he actually KNOWS a lot of players personally. However, he doesn't know a lot of players from KAHUKU. If he IS wrong about Kahuku's running game, THAT might be WHY.
As for the alma mater you mention, let me guess: Is it PUNAHOU? And the RB: Is it TAULAPAPA?

Undftd
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Undftd »

Taluapapa > Kahuku Runningbacks.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Who's taking the 1st team reps for St. Louis this week? Does Cal Lee go back to flopping the qbs or has he fully hitched his wagon to the sophomore this year, for better or for worse?

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

twnoexcuses wrote:Why does this development surprise you?

It makes total sense from a "regime change", "recruiting posture", and "rebuilding" perspective.

And, the old rules of "seniority" and "tradition" DO NOT APPLY. It's now, "what have you done for me lately?"

Whatever is really going on with Kuhns behind the scenes, whether his demotion to second string is a gross injustice or not, it will soon be forgotten. The "Sophomore" will get his yards and touchdown throws, the Lees will get him competitive by the end of the season so that the buzz on him for next year will be loud, and life will go on.

This is modern high school football. If you want playing time, plAYSOccer.
I never once said seniority or tradition should be the reason to choose ANY position. New regime justifies total disregard to seniors who have sacrificed with previous regime? What about their future? Total disregard flopping them to the side as if they don't matter? Kuhns has earned his place and deserves better.

You have not stated any view or facts to argue my viewpoints - nothing but hot air. I've detailed my voice in a clear and concise debate. Kuhns is a proven QB and better than the sophomore. I have given my reasons, where are yours? Making a statement with no fact or details to back up your hot air is MODERN high school intelligence. I'll try to speak to you in a language hopefully in which you can understand.

Why? How does the reigning 2013 first team all ILH QB lose his job in spring ball or summer to a unproven no experience (as it showed vs. Punahou - 60 yards at halftime) no varsity experience sophomore? Yeah, sophomore will get his touchdown throws and yards against Damien, Iolani, and Pac5. You don't even give the senior a chance at halftime when the sophomore and the Lee's as guided their team to a 41-0 trouncing? As I have stated, you like many at the Crusader nation has given the reigns to a sophomore for reason's that do not make any sense. The senior, as he did against Punahou last year, would also get his yards and touchdown throws against Damien, Iolani, and Pac 5, if ever given the chance. Obviously, your one of the Crusader nation who to which I speak of - poor handling, bad decision making, and no basis to support decisions. And it shows!

The outcome of their games certainly depicts a regime that is lacking in play calling and decision making on both sides of the ball. St. Louis is not and has not been this bad in decades. As I have stated clearly in previous posts, something is rotten in the state of Denmark!
Last edited by Squid Diver on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

fanoffb wrote:Who's taking the 1st team reps for St. Louis this week? Does Cal Lee go back to flopping the qbs or has he fully hitched his wagon to the sophomore this year, for better or for worse?
I think they have hitched their wagons to the sophomore.

Doesn't look good for Kuhns when they finally throw you in with 2:00 to go in the game with a running clock down to 55-7 against Punahou. It was a miracle he was able to get 3 plays in. I don't think the Lee's would make the change. How would it look? It would look like they made a bad decision in the first place. Why didn't they make a change earlier in the game against Punahou down 41-0 at the half? Sophomore will get his yards against far inferior opponents justifying the regime's decision. Kuhns would torch the same opponents as he has done the last two years as well. But in the end, Kuhns exceptional career at St. Louis looks like it has closed. Complete utter nonsense, total disregard for senior's accomplishments, lack of trust, and a great way to kill a kids confidence.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I hate to bring up conspiracy theories with regards to high school kids but here goes. Maybe the Lee's were forced to play Tua by the parents. They gave the coaches an ultimatum that either he plays or we're going to another school next year. I know sounds extreme and 99% chance it didn't happen in this case, but it does happen around high school teams around the country.

My theory about this is that Kuhns is struggling adjusting to the new offense. Remember, last few seasons St. Louis ran a spread offense. Most of the time they ran the offense with 3 WR and a TE and a RB with receivers having predetermined routes. This year the Lee's have gone back to the Run N Shoot with 4 WR and a RB with the receivers and QBs having to read the defense on the fly. And since Kuhns dedicated the spring to baseball, he didn't have time to study the RNS play book. That put him behind the ball by the time training camp came around.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Squid Diver wrote:
fanoffb wrote:Who's taking the 1st team reps for St. Louis this week? Does Cal Lee go back to flopping the qbs or has he fully hitched his wagon to the sophomore this year, for better or for worse?
I think they have hitched their wagons to the sophomore.

Doesn't look good for Kuhns when they finally throw you in with 2:00 to go in the game with a running clock down to 55-7 against Punahou. It was a miracle he was able to get 3 plays in. I don't think the Lee's would make the change. How would it look? It would look like they made a bad decision in the first place. Why didn't they make a change earlier in the game against Punahou down 41-0 at the half? Sophomore will get his yards against far inferior opponents justifying the regime's decision. Kuhns would torch the same opponents as he has done the last two years as well. But in the end, Kuhns exceptional career at St. Louis looks like it has closed. Complete utter nonsense, total disregard for senior's accomplishments, lack of trust, and a great way to kill a kids confidence.
I agree, it doesn't look good for Kuhns. If you look back at last years blogs, you will see that the writing was on the wall with posts that encouraged this QB competition. In fact, most welcomed the competition and said it would be good to have Tua push Ryder. Unfortunately when a quarterback is playing to not get taken out or replaced, his decisions or lack of decision making and playing conservative really starts to affect his performance. The best thing Ryder can do is to have fun and sling it when he has the opportunity to play from here on out. He has nothing to lose. This situation was created and although both QB's are very good, Kuhns, with his confidence back, is a better option to me. Just my thoughts........