St. Louis QB debacle

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: St. Louis QB debacle

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Squid Diver wrote:Stubblefield, which is a big loss. But you are spot on. Cui and Kobayashi are elite players. Their O-line is huge and elite as well. They are returning a quality offense, no doubt. It's the play calling. You can only throw curl ins and flats so much. To me, the sophomore looks to run first then throw. To challenge Punahou, you need to throw deep. Kuhns arm is stronger and looks to throw first. Perfect versus Punahou. You can't run against Punahou's defense. Just too good.

Having said that, they chose the sophomore, Ok. Second half you need to make a change, especially with the first team ILH QB from last year sitting on the bench. If you don't have that quality reserve, yeup keep the starter in. Which leads me to assume, there is something more going on than just choosing another QB over Kuhns.
You've made some good points. OK: WHO is St Louis' OC? He should know that Punahou's weakness is its secondary. Therefore, I agree with you that it's wise to throw deep against Punahou. I guess you've made the case for Kuhns. Also, why would St Louis attempt to RUN against Punahou, unless it's to keep the D honest? They don't even have a good RB, having lost Noga to graduation.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Lots of woulda, shoulda, couldas, but it was not as if St. Louis was one or two plays away from winning this game. Even if Noa was bracketed with a safety over the top, I'm sure Punahou would have adjusted to hitting their other receivers or a greater emphasis on the run game. Noa has been double teamed before and the only team that was able to slow him down was Kahuku. He's just a great player and even if he didn't catch all of the vertical routes, there would have been the outs and underneath seams.

But St. Louis lost the game because their defensive front 7 couldn't stop the run game, their DBs were put into a scheme that did not lead to success, their WRs dropped lots of balls, they couldn't get a solid run game going, and Punahou was able to limit St. Louis' yards after the catch and contact. Given this was Punahou's first game, I was impressed with how well their defense tackled while Taulapapa just looked like a mini-Adrian Peterson, dragging tacklers with him. The fact is that whether Kuhns or Tua started, I'm not sure either would have stopped the Punahou machine. I was surprised that Kuhns didn't get an earlier chance, but maybe the coaches gave all the practice reps to Tua or they have just fully invested in Tua, whether successful or not.

The irony of this is that when Kuhns was a sophomore, everyone was calling for him to start over Mook-Garcia. It was only because of injuries and discipline that Kuhns got to play and start. Now as a senior, it is unfortunate that Kuhns has to carry the clipboard while a sophomore starts over him. I am sure the upcoming D2 opponents will provide both quarterbacks with the chance to improve.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

Other than Mililani and punahou, I think every other team in the state of Hawaii wishes they had THIS so called QB debacle.

kiakaha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kiakaha »

The simple answer could lie in the fact that Kuhns missed a practice or 2 due to illness last week.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I saw both the Mililani and St John Bosco game. I am assuming you did too.

Kuhns started both games.

First series against both teams Kuhns went 3 and out. Second series he threw interceptions. Both games St. Louis was down 21-0 before the second quarter and before Tua took a snap. In both games he had time to pass.

In both games Tua out performed Kuhns.

I figure Lee felt that the Punahou game was THE GAME and he couldn't afford to have a slow start against them.

That's why many were clamoring for Tua. It was an objective call.

That's my take.

Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Squid Diver »

Part of my point is that I believe Kuhns lost his job during spring ball when he was playing baseball or at the very latest during summer ball. There is overwhelming support for the sophomore since April by the coaching staff, media, and Crusader nation. I know he missed A practice this week, he missed the practice the day after he was told by Ron Lee that he will not be starting.

How can the returning 2013 first team ILH QB lose his job during spring or summer ball?
Last edited by Squid Diver on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

TheDuke wrote:I saw both the Mililani and St John Bosco game. I am assuming you did too.

Kuhns started both games.

First series against both teams Kuhns went 3 and out. Second series he threw interceptions. Both games St. Louis was down 21-0 before the second quarter and before Tua took a snap. In both games he had time to pass.

In both games Tua out performed Kuhns.

I figure Lee felt that the Punahou game was THE GAME and he couldn't afford to have a slow start against them.

That's why many were clamoring for Tua. It was an objective call.

That's my take.
Good points in which I cannot dispute. To me, Kuhns did play well. Against Mililani, first drive he missed a pass, second drive play calling was atrocious, third drive he drove them to the 2 yd line and rb fumbles ball. He was then pulled. Sophomore came and did well both games. If you watch films, sophomore had a load of passes that were simply dropped by the defense and should of been intercepted (7 in two games). In my view, the coaches were only giving Kuhns the start out of respect and were waiting for any reason to justify their decision made in summer in support of the sophomore.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

LocalCheesehead wrote:Other than Mililani and punahou, I think every other team in the state of Hawaii wishes they had THIS so called QB debacle.
Not the red raiders were quietly doing our thing every week with unlimited potential- Hope you guys are ready for some smash mouth action come playoff time!
-------------------

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't know about the decision being made in the spring. Kuhns started both Millilani and St John Bosco. My understanding is that against Millilani Kuhns would play Q1 and Q3 and Tua would play Q2 and Q4 and that is how it played out.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Nope, that's my point. Rumors have been swirling since April about the QB change. Outwardly, yeup they put in Kuhn's, however, decision was made already. I first heard of these rumors literally in April from other ILH coaches, players, parents, and St. Louis coaches. Of course they are going to put in Kuhns, returning starter, how would look if they didn't? Just think about it? What did Kuhns do against Bishop Gorman as a sophomore? He lit them up and out shined the Bishop Gormans QB, who was a senior at the time, who is now the University of Arizona's starting QB. Kuhns torched Punahou last year. Pull him pre-season over a untested young QB? I cannot make out any sense.

Kuhns has immense talent, in my opinion, he is the best QB in the state. And he gets pulled in spring ball and/or summer ball? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

Squid Diver wrote:Nope, that's my point. Rumors have been swirling since April about the QB change. Outwardly, yeup they put in Kuhn's, however, decision was made already. I first heard of these rumors literally in April from other ILH coaches, players, parents, and St. Louis coaches. Of course they are going to put in Kuhns, returning starter, how would look if they didn't? Just think about it? What did Kuhns do against Bishop Gorman as a sophomore? He lit them up and out shined the Bishop Gormans QB, who was a senior at the time, who is now the University of Arizona's starting QB. Kuhns torched Punahou last year. Pull him pre-season over a untested young QB? I cannot make out any sense.

Kuhns has immense talent, in my opinion, he is the best QB in the state. And he gets pulled in spring ball and/or summer ball? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!
I think the first 2 games Ryder played, he felt too much pressure of knowing there is someone (Tua) right on his heels in case he messes up.

Last year, he really didn't have to compete for the starting job. Thus he played more relaxed. Ryder is a WAY better quarterback than what we have seen thus far. Good kid!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
LocalCheesehead wrote:Other than Mililani and punahou, I think every other team in the state of Hawaii wishes they had THIS so called QB debacle.
Not the red raiders were quietly doing our thing every week with unlimited potential- Hope you guys are ready for some smash mouth action come playoff time!
Kahuku is a good team, but I simply can't see them beating Punahou; Kahuku doesn't seem to have the throw-deep passing game that it will likely take to beat Punahou. I doubt that Kahuku can beat Mililani, either.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I think the change in offensive scheme could also have something to do with it.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: ...Kahuku doesn't seem to have the throw-deep passing game that it will likely take to beat Punahou.
you just described all 7 of Kahukus state championship teams that couldnt throw the ball even 5 yards deep, this year we can throw it up to 15 deep. Big Red machine is rolling and gaining momentum!
-------------------

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: ...Kahuku doesn't seem to have the throw-deep passing game that it will likely take to beat Punahou.
you just described all 7 of Kahukus state championship teams that couldnt throw the ball even 5 yards deep, this year we can throw it up to 15 deep. Big Red machine is rolling and gaining momentum!
Haha tbh im kinda tired of all this, every comment is "The big red working silently under the radar and getting work done." It isnt silent if after every win against a weak division you flaunt your victories. now back to the game, i think It goes Punahou, Mililani, Kahuku. in that order, yes kahuku is a power run team but not even close to the caliber of the past 2 title teams, especially at the rb position.

No disrespect to kahuku or its fans with my little rant, nothing but respect for the pride you show, but i see mililani beating them in the playoffs.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions