Greetings from an Oregon State Beavers Fan

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
PDXBeav
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Greetings from an Oregon State Beavers Fan

Post by PDXBeav »

Looking forward to making the trip from Portland, OR to Honolulu for the game against UH on September 6th. Will be my first time to any Hawaiian Island and will be there with 5 others for a week prior to the game. Any suggestions and recommendations on what to do? Luau? Snorkeling? Hiking? Will be staying near Turtle Bay for the first half of the week before staying in Honolulu the second half.

Also, what side is the visitor's side in Aloha Stadium? Any recommendation's on where to sit without obstruction and best views of the game. Also, what is the tailgating and parking like?

Looking forward to a great game by both teams!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Greetings from an Oregon State Beavers Fan

Post by Irse »

Welcome

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. Get there early though.
got hiking trails all over the place. Diamond Head and Makapuu Lighthouse are probably two of the most touristy ones.

http://www.unrealhawaii.com/oahu-hike-map/

Visitors usually sit on the makai end in the north end zone and ewa end on the makai sidelines. What exact sections, I don't know.

https://seatgeek.com/venues/aloha-stadi ... AghR8P8HAQ

Tailgate: SH usually has one. We'll be posting info later.

Have fun but STAY SAFE.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I would get to the stadium early. We have a lot of construction going on.

If you have the time and want a better idea of what the stadium seating looks like just go to the UH athletics website and click on buying tickets. You won't have actually buy a ticket unless you checkout but you can use the features there to see the view you will be getting from the section you will be sitting in. There is a little camera icon that you click on and a photo of the field from that section will pop up. It also shows a seating chart that marks seats that will have obstructions.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

PDXBeav
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by PDXBeav »

Wow! Thank you for the link to the oahu-hike map. Such beautiful scenary! I can't believe I haven't made the trek over to the island(s) from the mainland before. Don't know if one week will be enough time to explore the island.

Any tips for Pearl Harbor to avoid the line/crowds?

Also, how does UH football look this year? Will you be improved from last year? Key losses? Key returners?

The Beavers return quite a few players from last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We only lost a corner and DE on the defensive side of the ball, but both were the best players at their respective positions.

We lost 3 O-linemen to graduation and our best returning O-linemen is hurt and may not play this season. Plus we lost 2 starting WR's. Everyone else is back including Senior QB Sean Mannion who broke the record for passing yards in a single season in the Pac-12. Key losses are Bradin Cooks who was the Biletnikoff winner for best Wide Receiver in college football last year. He was a first round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

always try to get to any popular tourist attraction early. a lot of group tours bring bus loads of tourists so you might have to get lucky with the timing.
good choice about staying away from waikiki for most of your trip. you should definitely save a day for the Polynesian Cultural Center close to you guys at the Turtle Bay.
try to eat local food rather than typical state side food. a plate lunch, a loco moco, Hawaiian food.
Always be safe if you do go snorkeling or hiking. Too many tourists end up on the news for not being safe.
Also, don't leave valuables in your car. Don't bring too much stuff if you're driving around the island stopping at places leaving your car unattended. There's bad folks even on our lovely island and they know a tourist car due to the bar code. We want you to enjoy your stay rather than be busy filing out a police report.
I'd also say if you have the chance to visit our small tailgate. Lots of friendly nice fans and people in our state and what better way to meet new people than over your favorite college football team?
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

As a visitor back in 1989, I really enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center...especially since I'm a history nut. Sadly PCC is run by BYU and as some here on this board knows...very well LOL....I have an extreme hatred for BYU.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

best tip for visitors: RESPECT THE OCEAN.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

...and don't underestimate anything. Enjoy!

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

I just got back from Hawaii today. Spent a week visiting family and friends. But also took my kids to do some 'touristy' things. Polynesian cultural center is very good. Although expensive, it is worth it.

You can get tickets to the Arizona memorial online, but I think it is already sold out now until Oct. They reserve tickets for walk ups, every day but they go fast. I am told you need to be there by 7 am. However, we were there at 8:30 on Sunday and there were tickets still available for 10 am. The visitors desk said it is actually busier on weekdays, so I would recommend you go on Sunday if you're not hung over from the game on Saturday. :D After visiting the Memorial, Aloha stadium has a swap meet on Sunday. Great place to buy cheap souvenirs.

Also check out Diamond head crater. There is a fairy easy hiking trail to the summit that overs a great view of Waikiki and east Oahu.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Re. Hiking:

(1) Start in the morning so that you can finish before it gets dark. Nothing worse than wasting a portion of your 15 minutes of fame on a news report about the Honolulu Fire Department sending its chopper out to rescue lost hikers.

(2) Stay on marked trails. If you stray off, you can end up going down a wild pig trail and find yourself encountering steep drops and cliffs, or even an unhappy swine that causes you to go further off the beaten path, and then using up the 15 minutes of fame.

(3) Make sure you are hydrated before you hike, and have sufficient water during the hike. Mean old Mr. Humidity can get the better of all of us even with tradewinds.

(4) Take a cell phone and make sure it's fully charged. Cell reception is generally good all over the island, and you may as well use up some of the 15 minutes if you really need help due to darkness or injury, or if another hiker needs assistance.

Have fun, and stay safe.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

Hey there PDXBeav,
If you're still reading this forum, make sure you get to the stadium early. There was a lot of traffic last week and the parking was a mess. You don't want to get stuck in that.
If possible, stop on by our forum tailgate and say what's up!
The location info is here:
http://sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46088
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Be aware of your surroundings, which is always good advice no matter who you are or where you're at.

Alcohol is allowed at Aloha Stadium - important to note.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Haynr8dr wrote:Be aware of your surroundings, which is always good advice no matter who you are or where you're at.

Alcohol is allowed at Aloha Stadium - important to note.

Good advice. Keep calm and don't respond to drunks. Notify security immediately if people are acting badly.

It does not take too much effort to walk up the stairs and start talking to people in uniforms with radios.

Tell them there is possible trouble in your area and to please watch. When something goes down, they already know you as the guy who gave them the heads up. No shame in that.